PDA

View Full Version : Gantt lake, AL

The_Robo_Fighter
06-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Anyone here have experience with this lake? I'm looking for freshwater somewhere near Pensacola,FL. Thanks!

casmith71
06-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Gantt is really great for wakeboarding. it's long and narrow and surrounded by hills and trees. water is always glass.

The_Robo_Fighter
06-02-2016, 01:53 PM
Gantt is really great for wakeboarding. it's long and narrow and surrounded by hills and trees. water is always glass.

It looks like two lakes from the map. Are they connected? Are there any public areas to pull up, or is it all private property? Thanks

casmith71
06-02-2016, 01:58 PM
The part below 29 isn't really boat accessible. Gantt is not a very big lake to begin with and the bottom half is basically a pond. There are public ramps. They are connected but the bridge where 29 crosses is so low you can't go under it even with tower down. I have only ever seen kayaks and John boats on the bottom half and most of it is swamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottk1826
06-03-2016, 06:21 PM
I have tried to reply twice to your post but my login timed out before I hit reply both times and the message did not get sent or saved. Gantt Lake is formed by a dam on the Conecuh River just east of Hwy 29. The lower part from the Gantt dam on the west side of Hwy 29 is called Point A Lake which is formed by another dam just below where the Conecuh River and the Patsaliga Creek merge. Both lakes are very nice, but Point A has some shallow places that are not well marked, and underwater stumps will eat up your prop if you don't stay where the deep water is. The water on the Conecuh is murky brown most of the time due to the rain and river flow. Mid summer it will usually clear up enough that you can see 3-5 feet deep. Casmith71 is correct about it being narrow along most of the river, so it is smooth until you get a lot of boat traffic. My parents had a cabin on the upper part of Gantt Lake back in the late 70's and 80's, and I learned how to ski there behind a 16' Bassmaster fishing boat with a 75hp Evinrude (I only weighed about 100lbs. back then). My wife and I now have a small lake house on Point A Lake and spend almost every weekend on the water there. Both lakes are nice, each with its own advantages and disadvantages, but don't come expecting a huge lake with clear waters like Lake Martin in central Alabama. If you want to know more, send me a private message with your phone number and I will call you. We invite all of you Moomba/Supra peeps to share our waters here in LA (that's Lower Alabama for those of you who don't speak South Alabama slang).
Scott

The_Robo_Fighter
06-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the info!