PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

davidl
05-23-2016, 10:10 PM
Well I'm Back ! Hey all hope this find everyone healthy and well. I am changing the oil myself for the first time on my 08 LSV, What are you doing to get the oil out? the hose runs to the Plug hole about 1" short of running it threw to drain oil. I am not sure what my guy that changed the oil used ? Pump ? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

MJHSupra
05-23-2016, 11:10 PM
There are some threads on here about people buying and making pumps to hook-up.
Search for "oil pump", you will find them pretty quick.
Warm the boat up, hook up the pump, pretty easy.

I built one with a Northern Tool Pump, it was $20ish. Had wire and the other items in my garage to finish the project. I have a tube with a ss clamp for the end on mine. But it goes out the back of the boat.

If you are changing inside the boat, you need to be more careful.

beat taco
05-23-2016, 11:31 PM
At minimum get the Jabsco-diy-oil-change-system-wpump

smileycvc
05-24-2016, 01:12 AM
I picked this up on Amazon for our old LSV. It worked like a charm.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GU0MMU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1464066703&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=hydro+turf+oil+extractor&dpPl=1&dpID=31fsIPN%2BUkL&ref=plSrch

rdlangston13
05-24-2016, 07:41 AM
I've been using PELA 6000 oil extractor but the last oil change I did I about threw it across the garage it was going so slow. I am going to looking into buying one of the drill style pumps for my next oil change. It connect to a battery powered drill and the drill powers it. I am looking at a way to thread it onto the NPT connection on the hose instead of inserting a smaller diameter hose into the hose on the boat. Hopefully using the larger diameter hose will increase drain time.

beat taco
05-24-2016, 11:36 AM
I've been using PELA 6000 oil extractor but the last oil change I did I about threw it across the garage it was going so slow. I am going to looking into buying one of the drill style pumps for my next oil change. It connect to a battery powered drill and the drill powers it. I am looking at a way to thread it onto the NPT connection on the hose instead of inserting a smaller diameter hose into the hose on the boat. Hopefully using the larger diameter hose will increase drain time.
I don't miss my drill pump. It worked for a dozen or so years but I don't miss it.

996scott
05-24-2016, 12:57 PM
I have used an oil extractor in the past which was fine but a little slow. This year I bought a drill pump. I got a little extra hose and a brass fitting from Home Depot to attach to the end of the hose that is attached to the engine. I connected the new hose and ran it out the drain plug and then hooked it to the drill pump. Took all of 2 min to drain the oil. Highly recommend it.

wolfeman131
05-24-2016, 02:59 PM
I bought this one after using a vacuum extractor and found this one allows me to more easily handle my beer(s).

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Jabsco-Flat-Tank-Oil-Changer-System-3-1-2-Gall-p/jab17860-2012.htm?click=39123

mcdye
05-24-2016, 04:43 PM
I bought this one after using a vacuum extractor and found this one allows me to more easily handle my beer(s).

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Jabsco-Flat-Tank-Oil-Changer-System-3-1-2-Gall-p/jab17860-2012.htm?click=39123

I have a similar one, they are pricey, but boy do they suck fast, hot or cold.

Darter
05-25-2016, 02:33 PM
I've been using PELA 6000 oil extractor but the last oil change I did I about threw it across the garage it was going so slow.

I have a similar pump (mityvac, IIRC)... they go fast if the oil is hot. Get the engine up to operating temp and then drain it. You'll have the oil out just as fast as if you had pulled a bottom drain plug. I've tried it cold and it takes FOREVER (~30 mins for 5 qts).

rdlangston13
05-26-2016, 08:44 AM
I have a similar pump (mityvac, IIRC)... they go fast if the oil is hot. Get the engine up to operating temp and then drain it. You'll have the oil out just as fast as if you had pulled a bottom drain plug. I've tried it cold and it takes FOREVER (~30 mins for 5 qts).

I had the oil hot, took about 45 minutes to get it all out. I think my extractor is dying though, it used to perform better.

chester
05-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Just make sure you drive it around to really get things warmed up then drain it right there. Last fall I warmed it up on the trailer until the thermostat was getting up to operating temp and drove home to drain it. Only a 20 min drive but took hours to drain the oil. Oil must have cooled too much for the hand pump extractor I use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk