PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying this boat

KXCORKY
05-20-2016, 06:21 PM
Hi, New to the forum. I currently own a Mastercraft Prostar 205 but we are getting more into surfing and don't want to break the bank. I came across this today and was looking for some input. We are going to lake test it next week if the weather here will corporate. Any feedback?
https://mastercraftboise.com/listings/2005-moomba-mobius/

Thanks!

trayson
05-20-2016, 06:58 PM
The hours are really low for that year. it already has a Fresh air exhaust, so that's a nice plus. The hull is the older one if I remember right, but should still surf fine with the right configuration. The price is pretty reasonable for a v-drive. It doesn't look like it has perfect pass, but you'll survive. the ballast system will be slow and honestly you'd be best off with planning on gutting the extisting system and going with 3 reversible pumps and calling it good. get the bigger bags (750, 900, or 1100) and likely an integrated bow sack. you could do this with the stock ballast, but it'll take a long time to fill and empty (like 15-20 minutes for the bigger bags). Add a ghetto gate or a suck gate or some kind of surf system like many have done and you'll have a mackin' wave.

Bottom line is that it's a legit starting option for what seems like an okay price. you might find better, you might not. but it's a solid boat that you could likely be happy with if budget is a priority.

KXCORKY
05-20-2016, 07:09 PM
Great, Thanks for the feedback. It only has the center ballast right now. I think the dealer took the rear bags out. I am going to haggle with them on the trade in and condition of the boat to see if they will put bags back in it or bring the price down. My buddy has a bunch of white carbon vinyl laying around and is willing to wrap the seats and deck back pads for us. Planing on making a suck gate for sure. have everything we need to build a proto already. There are not many boats in this price range in our area at all.

sivs1
05-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Get a 2006 or newer hull

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

parrothd
05-20-2016, 08:20 PM
Yep.. That's on the high end for that year..

mmandley
05-20-2016, 08:41 PM
I agree if you can swing an 06 or newer LSV you get deeper seating which is more comfortable, plus it will have the Gravity 3 ballast system for rears and center.
You will also get the 325 Assault engine with the larger diameter tower that folds back into the boat instead of forward of the windshield.

IMO the 06 and up LSV just looks better.

icemanftr
05-20-2016, 08:57 PM
I can make any boat surf. 🤓http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160521/8a49f8c7799d50b7e855c220330e6129.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk