PDA

View Full Version : help needed on Moomba vs Sanger decision

bently
05-20-2016, 06:07 PM
I am looking at 2 boats and trying to make my decision today. We are new to V drive – 4 kids, coming out of an I/O for 13 years. Kids mostly tube and wakeboard but limited due to past boat on the wakeboarding. Desire to get into surfing and take wakeboarding to next level.

Option 1 2012 Sanger V237
• fixed hard ballast in the back 250 each side, 600 bow or floor – not sure – total 1100 – plenty of room to add more ballast in the back or under seats
• 3 tabs in back all adjustable to help adjust wake

Option 2 2012 Moomba Mojo 2.5

• Tons of ballast – per owner 1100 in back left and right, 600 floor, 600 front, total 3400
We like the color and look of the sanger significantly better. Mojo has a nicer trailer, heater and tower and a wider bow by far (almost pickle). Both towers are collapsible which we need. Hours are pretty much the same on both boats (140). Engine was replaced on the mojo with a 2014 (only 12 hours now). Owner says indmar had a warranty defect with impellers that caused many 2012 engines to fail so worry same could happen to sanger engine.

As we cruise and entertain as much as we will wakeboard and surf kids we need decent storage and all storage on the mojo seems taken by ballast. On the other hand I worry that the ballast on the sanger will be lacking. Reading on line posts folks say the trim tabs in the back are there to help shape the wave allowing for less ballast but the variance is 2300 lbs. We could add ballast to the sanger I guess.
Its going to be one of these two – hours, cost are the same. Sanger seats 14, Mojo 16 on sticker. Also worried about freeboard as wife won’t like boat too low to water and we boat on a river with a lot of traffic.

Advice / help / suggestions / critiques on either boat is helpful.

parrothd
05-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Once you surf that monster wake with all that ballast you won't care about "storage"... What really do you need to store anyways? Lifejackets, beer, anchor and some floaties..

Sounds like the mojo already is upgraded, heater and plate..

icemanftr
05-20-2016, 09:33 PM
I have surfed both and the Sanger does not compare when it comes to wake. Plus they sit lower in water and will make you feel uneasy I'm high waters and traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beat taco
05-20-2016, 09:43 PM
800#'s of lead in the Sanger and it's a monster! That said I can't get over the low freeboard.

BrettLee3232
05-20-2016, 10:04 PM
I've always liked the look of sangers slammed in the water. That being said I do not like to drive with that little freeboard let alone my wife.

Mojo all day everyday. You'll love it!

Post pics of both boats by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connolly_Crew
05-20-2016, 10:53 PM
I am looking at 2 boats and trying to make my decision today. We are new to V drive – 4 kids, coming out of an I/O for 13 years. Kids mostly tube and wakeboard but limited due to past boat on the wakeboarding. Desire to get into surfing and take wakeboarding to next level.

Option 1 2012 Sanger V237
•fixed hard ballast in the back 250 each side, 600 bow or floor – not sure – total 1100 – plenty of room to add more ballast in the back or under seats
•3 tabs in back all adjustable to help adjust wake

Option 2 2012 Moomba Mojo 2.5

•Tons of ballast – per owner 1100 in back left and right, 600 floor, 600 front, total 3400
We like the color and look of the sanger significantly better. Mojo has a nicer trailer, heater and tower and a wider bow by far (almost pickle). Both towers are collapsible which we need. Hours are pretty much the same on both boats (140). Engine was replaced on the mojo with a 2014 (only 12 hours now). Owner says indmar had a warranty defect with impellers that caused many 2012 engines to fail so worry same could happen to sanger engine.

As we cruise and entertain as much as we will wakeboard and surf kids we need decent storage and all storage on the mojo seems taken by ballast. On the other hand I worry that the ballast on the sanger will be lacking. Reading on line posts folks say the trim tabs in the back are there to help shape the wave allowing for less ballast but the variance is 2300 lbs. We could add ballast to the sanger I guess.
Its going to be one of these two – hours, cost are the same. Sanger seats 14, Mojo 16 on sticker. Also worried about freeboard as wife won’t like boat too low to water and we boat on a river with a lot of traffic.

Advice / help / suggestions / critiques on either boat is helpful.

I would demo both. The Mojo will have a good surf wake. The wakeboard wake is less than desirable though, so if the kids want to wakeboard and really get into it I would suggest that you demo many boats and decide for yourself based on what you see on lake test. Also have the kids get some pulls on their boards in the demo. Good luck.