PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Output Modification

MMPRES
05-19-2016, 09:42 PM
Hello all! Brand new to the Moomba owners world. Just bought a 2016 Craz. I tacked on two Wet Sound Rev 10s w/ 1000w amp between them. They can get outlandishly loud and I love it. Keep in mind I'm using the Moomba factory head unit. The only issue, I would like to be able to turn down the interior speakers and put more into the tower. My goal is to be able to hear the tunes while riding without blasting out everyone in the boat. Or worse yet, getting over zealous and blowing an interior speaker when the tower has plenty more. Any ideas on what I can do with my current setup to make this happen without additional equipment?

BrokeGuy
05-19-2016, 09:46 PM
You should be able to use the zone control on the factory head unit. I beleive if you push the volume button inwards it will bring up two bar graphs. Which will be for zone 1 and zone 2

2016 Moomba Craz
Gunmetal W/ flake
Atomic Orange Accent
Black Deck and Hull

MMPRES
05-19-2016, 10:43 PM
You should be able to use the zone control on the factory head unit. I beleive if you push the volume button inwards it will bring up two bar graphs. Which will be for zone 1 and zone 2

I appreciate that. I'll give it a shot next time I get to play with it.

BrettLee3232
05-19-2016, 11:22 PM
I appreciate that. I'll give it a shot next time I get to play with it.

As long as they ran an rca cable to the head unit from the new amp your golden.

trayson
05-19-2016, 11:24 PM
honestly, having a wetsounds zone controller (WS420SQ) is the best solution. it gives you a seperate eq that controls the towers seperate from the cabins. likewise, you'd have knobs for controlling the towers/cabins/sub seperately. and a master volume control too. it also gives you an additional input and the ability to link up to others so you both can play the same music at the same time (with a long 3.5mm cable). I have had one on both my boats and it's the heart of my system.

The ability to quickly and easily change the tower volume vs the cabins is a huge benefit, especially when it's easy enough that anyone can figure it out while driving. I wouldn't want to go back to clicking through menus on a head unit to do the fading like suggested above. It's some of the best audio system money I've spent.

MLA
05-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Fusion head-unit? If so, which model?

5:00
05-20-2016, 12:32 PM
What Trayson said or I use one of these but it only turns down the bass if its input is bridged from one of the other amps.
It is tiny, mounts about anywhere (in dash also) and is easy to use. I liked it for all of these reasons. I found sometimes when you need to switch sound or kill it completely you have to do it fast. This is easy to find and to use. Not as flexible as what Trason mentioned but simple.

http://cdn.overtons.com/product/873/873354_L1.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=450px:* (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Roswell-Dual-Zone-Volume-Control&i=873354&r=view&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=383733333534&gclid=CNyB0a6H6cwCFQIOaQodEi4Mpg)

trayson
05-20-2016, 02:01 PM
What Trayson said or I use one of these but it only turns down the bass if its input is bridged from one of the other amps.
It is tiny, mounts about anywhere (in dash also) and is easy to use. I liked it for all of these reasons. I found sometimes when you need to switch sound or kill it completely you have to do it fast. This is easy to find and to use. Not as flexible as what Trason mentioned but simple.

http://cdn.overtons.com/product/873/873354_L1.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=450px:* (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Roswell-Dual-Zone-Volume-Control&i=873354&r=view&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=383733333534&gclid=CNyB0a6H6cwCFQIOaQodEi4Mpg)

Yeah, I've got one of the exile branded dual zone fader kits laying around. $30 shipped for anyone that wants it. Brand new.
http://exileaudio.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x265/8e2dc49e413f406e6702068f7262e566/u/n/untitled.49.jpg

MLA
05-20-2016, 02:11 PM
but it only turns down the bass

That roswell or other line level POT is only a passive controller thats a variable resister with no bias toward hi-pass, low-pass or full pass, bass or treble. It simply goes inline between the source unit and amp and cuts the signal. If its only turning down the bass, its due to how its hooked up or how the amp is setup. It can control the volume to any aftermarket amp with RCA inputs, regardless of the type of speaker its driving.

The WS-420 is a great product for this application and I expect the new WS-220 to be just ass applicable for those wanting zone control. https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/WS-220BT.html

Another option is the Kicker ZXM-RLC marine dual zone controller and line driver. 2 simple knobs for 2 zone control, can be surface or panel mounted, no long RCA runs and provides a 9V line level signal. http://www.kicker.com/10ZXMRLC

Still curious as to which head-unit, This may have some impact on the best route to go.

trayson
05-20-2016, 02:18 PM
The WS-420 is a great product for this application and I expect the new WS-220 to be just ass applicable for those wanting zone control. https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/WS-220BT.html

Cool that they're coming up with new options. Kind of a hybrid unit for people that only care about zone control and don't want/need the ability to do equalization on the fly. Also interesting that they went with 4 zones. I'm thinking Sub, Towers, main cabins, and Bow speakers is the most logical.

Plus built in BT is legit. I am really curious to see where this is going to land as far as price point. I would think either between the 420SQ and the 420BT or maybe even same price as the 420SQ? (drop EQ, add BT). Not sure how it'll shake out, but I'm curious. Good option for many people right there.

5:00
05-20-2016, 02:44 PM
That roswell or other line level POT is only a passive controller thats a variable resister with no bias toward hi-pass, low-pass or full pass, bass or treble. It simply goes inline between the source unit and amp and cuts the signal. If its only turning down the bass, its due to how its hooked up or how the amp is setup. It can control the volume to any aftermarket amp with RCA inputs, regardless of the type of speaker its driving.

Maybe I could have written what I did more clearly. It turns down everything, tower separate from boat. I was just adding that the bass can only be controlled in addition to the other speakers if it is bridged from one of the speaker amps.
But yes, that is all I use it for; gain up, gain down separately on the tower and boat. My setup allows for the bass to match either the boat or tower so you do lose some bass if you turn down the one it is tied to.

MLA
05-20-2016, 03:46 PM
As long the sub has its own channel(s) then it can be its own zone, you just need to plug up the amp's sub level controller (if applicable) or add a 2nd, but single chnl, line level controller. Now you have 3 independent zones.

But yes, with the Roswell, you have two choice, link the woofer with the in-boats or towers, or leave it at head-unit volume.

Dandy21
05-22-2016, 10:00 AM
We had the Roswell zone controller and it worked well. We separated the onboard and towers with this and used a single zone controller for the sub so that we could adjust that as well. We also had a WS420 in a different boat and honestly I would go with the Roswell or Kicker units that MLA mentioned. The WS420 had great control over sound being an eq but the km obs are small making it difficult to find the correct know fast if you wish....or maybe I am just too simple minded.

trayson
05-22-2016, 12:21 PM
We had the Roswell zone controller and it worked well. We separated the onboard and towers with this and used a single zone controller for the sub so that we could adjust that as well. We also had a WS420 in a different boat and honestly I would go with the Roswell or Kicker units that MLA mentioned. The WS420 had great control over sound being an eq but the km obs are small making it difficult to find the correct know fast if you wish....or maybe I am just too simple minded.

Did you have the original 420? or did you have the 420SQ? I had both and found that they made some improvements on the knobs when they went to the SQ. The new 220 seems even easier on the knobs. I also had the exile ZLD MK2 and while the fit and finish of their knobs was great, I found them too closely spaced.

As long the sub has its own channel(s) then it can be its own zone, you just need to plug up the amp's sub level controller (if applicable) or add a 2nd, but single chnl, line level controller. Now you have 3 independent zones.

But yes, with the Roswell, you have two choice, link the woofer with the in-boats or towers, or leave it at head-unit volume.

I think this is an excellent point. It seems most subwoofer amps these days have a phone jack port for a remote sub level control knob. Often the knobs are included when you buy the amp, or you can buy the corded knob afterwards. So like MLA said, if you have a level controller on the sub amp, than simply adding a dual zone controller (exile, roswell, kicker) gets you independent control of the typical 3 zones.

jtatexc
05-22-2016, 05:39 PM
I also have one of those dual Zone controller and LOVE it! Super easy installation and works exactly as I need it. Fade tower and cabin independently as I need it. Paid 40 bucks...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk