PDA

View Full Version : Wake Plate Issue

cpropes2005
05-16-2016, 08:22 AM
I noticed this weekend while surfing that every once in a while my wake plate would get stuck in the down position. At first I thought my buddy that was driving just wasnt throttling up enough to get past the speed set point where it is supposed to auto retract but it happened again later in the day while I was driving. When it gets stuck neither the auto retract or manually hitting the switch will make it budge but if I shut off the boat it seems to reset and will start working properly again.

Any thoughts? It is still under warranty but I would like to avoid a trip to the dealer if at all possible. I searched and found a few threads of wake plate issues on 2013 and older models but I would have hoped they would have implemented a fix by 2015.

BrokeGuy
05-16-2016, 09:09 AM
We have some craz owners with the same issue.

2016 Moomba Craz
Gunmetal W/ flake
Atomic Orange Accent
Black Deck and Hull

BrettLee3232
05-16-2016, 09:53 AM
I had an issue on my 15 mondo. Here's my conclusion on when it happened...
If boat was off and started it to surf filled up bags and immediately started to surf not getting over surf speed the wake plate would stay in the down position. (Very annoying). Sometimes shutting the boat off and on would fix it but not always.

I found that if I was going above surf speed without shutting the boat off it would work fine.

Then I found out that if it didn't work I would have to take off cruise control and go like 15mph till it would work again then back down to surf speed and all was well.

I let the dealer know but of course they said it was working fine. Not sure if it was a firmware update to the cpu or what but ever since I had them look at it it hasn't happened again.

Very strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07STI
05-16-2016, 11:28 AM
I've noticed some issues as well, but I assumed it had something to do with the memory. Example:

- Right after launching, I put the wakeplate 100% down for riding out to the spot we're going to surf/wakeboard
- Ride to location
- Fill ballast and get first person set up for riding
- Set cruise and take off

Once we get to XXmph, the wakeplate goes to 100% because that's what it "remembers."

Is this the issue you guys are referring to, or is the wakeplate simply not working?

Have you seen this thread - https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?23312-2014-Moomba-Automatic-Wakeplate

cpropes2005
05-16-2016, 02:00 PM
Per the thread 07STI linked...

"If your speed control is off, then the plate re-sets to a 50% deflection when the boat accelerates faster than 15 mph.
If your speed control is on, then the plate re-sets to a 50% delfection when you accelerate past 50% of your SET speed."

It sounds like for some reason every once in a while the system thinks the cruise control is off even though it is actually on so it is waiting until it sees 15 mph to adjust the plate to its memory position and give back manual control. Since we don't ever break 15mph when surfing it just stays locked all the way down in the "launch" position.

wolfeman131
05-16-2016, 02:07 PM
since this is popping up in multiple places, I'll post the same reply:

I'm not sure how the “smartplate” works was explained particularly well. If you are manually adjusting the plate to 100%, then it will stay at 100% when you get back up to speed. In other words, the system remembers where you adjusted it to and will return the plate to that position. I think that may be the case for some, but I don’t think that is the issue for everyone. If manually adjusting the plate doesn’t fix it, then it is probably a software issue.

The problem with software issues are that if you can’t duplicate them, you can’t fix them. You/the dealer/SC have to make the system fail every time so a software fix can be developed. My guess is that something is happening where the system/software is sending the plate to one location (s designed) at the same time that you're sending the plate to a different location. If that were the case, then the software may be getting confused, shutting down and tripping the internal breaker in the PDM. The PDM has internal protection as well as being externally protected with the 50amp breaker. If the PDM thinks there is an issue, then it will trip internally and resetting the ignition would reset that breaker. Since it appears most of the time these systems are working by keying off, then on, I am assuming this is a false issue because it doesn’t appear the main 50amp breaker is tripping.

Isaguel
07-08-2016, 06:54 PM
I am having the same issue as above. I cannot find there has been a fix developed. Has anyone has this problem and had it resolved? how? This is a real big deal since the down position lowers the wake too much to the point it looses most of its push.
I would like to keep this thread alive since it appears to not be an isolated problem. SC, please provide a fix that does not involving, shutting off and on to reset in hopes that it'll work.!

mattsask
07-09-2016, 12:51 AM
Mine did it again tonight after stopping to pick up a rider. A bit frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Woody929
07-09-2016, 09:29 AM
For those having this issue, do you always start the boat after it has gone through its full boot up routine, or are you cutting that short?

North Woods Mobius
07-09-2016, 09:52 AM
For those having this issue, do you always start the boat after it has gone through its full boot up routine, or are you cutting that short?

Woody - Do you mean turning the key to initiate the digital display to let everything cycle up first before cranking the engine? I ask because I generally just fire everything up at once, but it sounds like I may need to alter my starting procedure....

Woody929
07-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Woody - Do you mean turning the key to initiate the digital display to let everything cycle up first before cranking the engine? I ask because I generally just fire everything up at once, but it sounds like I may need to alter my starting procedure....

I know when I bought my mojo, they said there could be issues if you start the boat before it finishes booting. If you just put the key in and crank it, I would try turning the key to 'on' first, let the system do its thing, then start the boat.

KG's Supra24
07-09-2016, 10:15 AM
The boot up process is sooo sllloooww. Wonder if this is in fact a recommended procedure, though? I've just recently started cutting it short.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Woody929
07-09-2016, 11:51 AM
I would say for those having the issue, I would try the full boot procedure and see if toys till have issues. If the others are already doing that, then never mind🤔

mattsask
07-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Mine does it no matter how patient I am. A can confirm though, switching surf mode off then toggling the switch to the neutral position will trick the system and return the tab to 50%.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Atlanta1213
07-15-2016, 09:28 PM
Glad to hear I am not the only one experiencing this problem. I took mine in to the local dealer for the 20 hour service this week and mentioned the issue but they said they would have to water test to try and duplicate the issue. I decided to try and work through it until the end of the season. I have nothing substantive to add except that it seems that for me at least sometimes even a restart of the motor doesn't solve it and it takes several attempts. I will definitely try some of the workarounds you guys suggested.

Thanks for the tips.

Crane man
07-15-2016, 10:25 PM
It really suck with boot up time boating on small rivers. Only good thing is I can still fire up and move even if tabs don't work.

lsupcar
07-16-2016, 12:39 AM
Have you checked to see if the bolt connecting the actuator to the plate is freely mobile? I don't know if this could be part of the problem, but when I installed my FAE, I noticed the bolt attaching the tab actuator and plate was in such a bind I could not remove the two. I set mine as loose as possible and do not have a problem with the tab. Just thought I would mention it just in case it could help.

Isaguel
06-10-2017, 02:21 PM
I thought I updated the thread as this continues to be an issue. Has anyone found a solution?

cpropes2005
06-16-2017, 01:53 PM
I posted more details on a different thread but waiting to start the boat until after the "boot up" procedure is done has been working for me lately. I have also read a few posts where people have gotten ecm updates that helped but I dont have any direct experience with that.

Catman
06-17-2017, 06:06 AM
The dealer did all the updates and ended up replacing the computer ( ECU). Still having the same issues . Only been out once this year and it failed twice

Isaguel
06-19-2017, 09:12 PM
Just an update. I went to my dealer, they called skiers choice and SC called me directly. They asked if I had a dual battery set-up, which I do, and if I usually run it on the dual battery position which I did. They told me they have been having electronic issues when running the boat on the 2 battery position. They suggested I change to single battery position. I did and Voila, no problems since. We spent last week on the lake surfing and no hiccups. Hopefully this helps others.

dusty2221
06-19-2017, 09:21 PM
This seems like a bandaid fix, did they mention a final solution being worked on allowing the switch to be on "both"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

moombahighrider
06-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Interesting. When I did my lake test on my 2017 mojo, I was told specifically to only use 1 then 2 the next trip, not both. They gave me no reason besides that it is better for the batteries. It makes sense to me that I will always have a spare battery ready to go, if I need it. I am religious about trickle charging my batteries, so they are always ready to go.

Isaguel
06-20-2017, 08:16 AM
This seems like a bandaid fix, did they mention a final solution being worked on allowing the switch to be on "both"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nope. They suggested I trickle charge the second battery periodically. I can live with that. I know many guys trickle charge batteries. They did not explain why the 2 battery setup causes the electronic problems. Maybe excess voltage?