PDA

View Full Version : Outback listing to the right

barefooterh2o
07-09-2006, 09:02 PM
I have a 02' Outback that when running the slalom course it lists to the right with a passenger in the spotter seat. Is this normal on the Outbacks? My Malibu Sportster and Gekko does not do this. It causes a double wake on the right because of the boat leaning to the right. I've tried different props. No change. Hull does not have any damage.

smokedog2
07-09-2006, 09:29 PM
So, just what do you weigh?

Is the boat new for you?

Has it always done this?

Have you loaded with lead and misplaced a bar or two?

Wake plate broken? Shaft bent? Fin bent?

Ah, no - it is not supposed to do that.

SD2

barefooterh2o
07-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Myself and my friends, who do the slalom course, weigh about the same. 170 to 185 lbs. The 02 Outback was purchased this spring with low hours. Don't notice it listing to the right as much for trick or wakeboarding speeds of 19 to 22 mph or barefoot speeds of 39 and above. Just 30 to 36 mph. Gets annoying because a slight breeze going across the course causes the boat to move off course. Fins are straight.

smokedog2
07-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Fins would be my first best guess since it should list less at higher speeds if it was a weight issue.

Does it float level?

barefooterh2o
07-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Floats level. I took a 3 foot flat edge to the bottom of the hull while on the trailer. The only difference is right behind the curve of the front strakes, on the right side, is a 3/4" air gap. The pad is level. The fins look straight in line. On my Malibu the fins are offset by a little. Same with the Mastercraft Sportstar. Should the fins be offset on the Outback?

I do not see any damage to the hull except above the prop area where it appears that maybe the prop may have hit it. 1 1/2" size. Appears only the gel coat was repaired.

I'm a certified master tech and own a car and boat repair place the last 22 years. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.

JoeTechie
07-11-2006, 01:22 AM
This sounds like a boat you just got in as a trade or purchased used. Any number of things in its history can do damage to a normal running hull.

Could the rudder or rudder shaft be slightly bent left causing the slight list when under speed?

The not at low speed, but yes at planing speed I get - I do not get how it can then re-correct itself at even higher speed ? Something is not right here.

?

Is the cooler full of beer on the right ? ;)

I'd take a good quality long tube level out and set it on the rear deck.

My gut says rudder, previous major hull repair, or plain old ballast changes.

-J

qb12
07-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Let me chime in here.

This used to be my boat. A little history on it. I bought it as a bank repo. I saw nothing wrong with it except the gel coat repair that Matt has already discussed.

It always did list at course speeds. Generally if I had someone in the observer seat it helped out a lot.

I just assumed this was normal due to the prop rotation. My fathers old 78 mc did the samething.

The only thing I can think of would be the tracking fins or you may need to load the rudder.

db

barefooterh2o
07-11-2006, 01:48 PM
I'll check out the tracking fins and rudder when I get the boat back in town next week. It's at the lake garage now. The previous owner did tell me it was a bank repo. I did a quick check over on the hull before I purchased it and did not see anything out of the ordinary. Brian in tech support said it shouldn't list. The fins make the most sense since other tournament boat makers have the fins offset.

Thanks for your help.

smokedog2
07-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Ok,

Another idea would be prop alighment such that the prop is pushing the boat over.

Sounds like a little prop object contact at some point in its history.

Could you find another one and both take a run and take measurements?

Can you (dare you) swap props with one of your other boats and see if either boat changes?

BensonWdby
07-11-2006, 10:48 PM
If it has prop history, then the drive shaft strut may be bent as well. Not sure if that could cause listing ...

Dave

barefooterh2o
07-12-2006, 04:27 PM
I did swap props a couple of weeks ago with no change of the listing. Both props are for that boat. Thanks for the thought.

NH Moomba
07-12-2006, 09:15 PM
My Outback LS listed to one side quite a bit with just myself in the boat. Believe it or not, I moved the wakeboard rack to the other side and it helped a lot. The rack with a couple of boards in it can weigh a good bit. With it cantilevered out in space, it can add a moment (remember those from physics class?) about the centerline. It's like 1ft-lb is equal to 1 lb at the end of a 12 inch lever or 12 lbs on a 1 inch lever. 30 or 40 lbs of gear stuck out over the edge of the boat could be equivelant to 1 passenger sitting in the seat. I just thought I would throw it out there because it helped for me.

Andy

barefooterh2o
08-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Update on the listing to the right. Since I'm not a wakeboarder, removed the wakeboard rack on the right. Improved. Removed left side and the listing went away. Weird. Now I can do the course without a double wake on the right side. Thanks for the replies!

Barefooter H2O

qb12
08-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Matt, Glad everything turned out. That is weird that the racks would cause the listing.

Hope the summer is going well.

Doug

Doobie
08-24-2006, 04:20 PM
I feel your pain with the listing Outback. I have a '05 Mobius LS that I bought new and it has never run level. It leans to the drivers side from 1" to 5" depending on the speed. The problem is not the regular prop tourque, the lean is more than double that amount. I sent the boat back to Skiers Choice and they said it's performance was acceptable. They changed out the strut (the big cleat that holds the drive shaft). Nothing changed though. It is ok for wakeboarding as an extra person or two on the passenger side levels it off. It is useless for slalom though. I am not sure what to do at this point. The dealer agrees with me that boat is terrible but he can't do much without support from the guys who built it. All in all I am pretty disgusted with the craftmanship and customer service at Skiers Choice. There must be a few more crooked Mobius's out there. Anyone?

JoeTechie
08-24-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm a bit confused.

1" is not a big deal.

5" is huge.

Which is it ?

You are saying that is is not to your liking when you are driving solo? All well balanced skiboats will list a little to the drivers side if there is no counter balance. Buy a Fat Brick (http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/fly_high_fat_brick_W702) and fill it so it approximates your weight and sit it in the paggenger seat.

Do you have a tower ? Can you move wieght on that ?

Curious,

Joe

zabooda
08-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Move the people around and see if you can balance the load. Sometimes moving the weight (people) near the centerline will do it which means the only seat available is up front blocking the driver's view. It happens to me all the time as I usually weigh significantly more than the spotter. Listing affects the wake and last week I had a "crew" pulling me on the slalom and I tried with sign language to get them to balance and they were clueless so I keep skiing and truthfully the wake never affected my skiing as so little time and so little ski is going the wake. It just looked goofy. I carry my extra weight (extra prop and anchor) on the spotter side just to help balance the load.

smokedog2
08-25-2006, 08:49 AM
Now I'm going to go look. Never been an issue that bossing a 10 year old around couldn't solve.

My boat is level at the dock but now I want to look with me in the drivers seat.

i agree a little weight shift will change the wake, esp running empty.

05 LSV

Thorpie
01-13-2016, 01:00 AM
I have the same issue, I think the hull is just very touchy. Me driving weighing 100 kg and my son in observe seat weight 45 kg pulling around 35mph , it tends to list to my side. I move a fraction and it straightens up.
That's my observation anyhow

viking
01-13-2016, 09:00 AM
Wow you brought this thread back from the depths..............

SkiBoy
02-02-2016, 12:45 PM
My 99 Outback LS always lists if the load is off. We carry a 100 lb sandbag for this reason. Move it around, find the sweet spot and we're off. Boat tracks true with no spotter and the sandbag along the left side.