PDA

View Full Version : Trick Ski Experience?

jelmhorst
05-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Has anyone played around with a trick ski at all? I'm most comfortable on a slalom and the attempts at wakeboarding aren't nearly as enjoyable. Faceplants at 20+ are way worse than a faceplant at 34 on a slalom. Watching some of the pros work it in video clips looks like something fun to play around with when the water is less than ideal. What speed do they run, how far back?

jzelt
05-12-2016, 04:30 PM
I tried a short pair years ago. I believe they run around 12 mph. Without a fin, I couldn't get out of the water on them. I have 2 skied and deep water slalom skied with both feet in the boot, so I know how to get out of the water, but I couldn't get my balance and they would slide out from under me. Maybe a little alcohol prevented my attempts, but I slalomed afterward ok and was worried about pulling a groin....But don't let it stop you from at least trying. Apparently the attempts were great laughs for everyone watching.

Kidder522
05-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Trick Skis are a bunch of fun. Spins and jumps fro W2W lets you have a little fun on the water. No fins.....watch out getting out of the wake on a turn...it may turn into a fun whip if your not careful. I have a pair at our cabin and have to put them on a few time a summer. If you get one with the slalom binding, that just ups the difficulty level a bunch.

iwaterskihard
05-13-2016, 07:00 AM
Depending of your size (height & weight) don't be fooled you can face plant on a trick ski too. They just aren't quite a violent. I think it has lots to do with the position of your feet on each board!

Have fun though! :)

BensonWdby
05-14-2016, 11:11 AM
My crew encourages me to trick as sort of crosstraining for slalom. Done it maybe 3 times. I get up on a slalom trick with only one foot in. I do not actually 'trick' as of yet. Majority of time is spent simply trying not to fall. The key I have seen so far is to keep the handle low and close to the body. Most falls are the feet going out in front - so clearly body position is critical.