PDA

View Full Version : Portland travel

chester
05-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Hey, so it seems like a lot of you are from the Portland area. I'm here for a couple days this week and will be back for a few days every month for the next year. Just looking for suggestions of things to do/places to go, restaurants to try, etc. I'll be in the Pearl district as that is where our project is so bonus if it is close to that. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
05-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Hey, so it seems like a lot of you are from the Portland area. I'm here for a couple days this week and will be back for a few days every month for the next year. Just looking for suggestions of things to do/places to go, restaurants to try, etc. I'll be in the Pearl district as that is where our project is so bonus if it is close to that. Thanks!

what kind of things are you interested in? more brewpub stuff or swangy happy hour places? I do a TON of happy hours in PDX and have a long list of my fav spots.
the view from Pittock Mansion is cool. Head over to Crown Point on your way to Multnomah Falls.

There's a lot of us that are out on the river all the time with our boats. You're more than welcome to tag along with me anytime. Always have room for Moomba friends.

kaneboats
05-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Make sure you try some Deschutes:

https://www.deschutesbrewery.com

chester
05-10-2016, 01:29 PM
First place we went was their tap house. Chainbreaker IPA is fantastic. Gonna check out 10 barrel tonight. Mostly looking for places to chill and drink after a day at work.

And I appreciate the offer to get out on the water. I didn't bring my shorts this time but maybe In the future, although I don't know how I'll get to where you ride since we don't rent a car...

trayson
05-10-2016, 01:36 PM
First place we went was their tap house. Chainbreaker IPA is fantastic. Gonna check out 10 barrel tonight. Mostly looking for places to chill and drink after a day at work.

And I appreciate the offer to get out on the water. I didn't bring my shorts this time but maybe In the future, although I don't know how I'll get to where you ride since we don't rent a car...

No problem. Uber and Lyft are great in PDX. so that's easy enough. Although I wouldn't suggest fighting rush hour traffic so a weekday might be tough.

Bartini has a great happy hour. Portland City Grill has a fantastic happy hour and one of the best views in PDX. Bridgeport Brewing is over by you and has really generous happy hour portions. On Deck Sportsbar has some really nice outdoor seating. Departure over by Pioneer Square has a sweet rooftop balcony. And the list goes on and on...

mikenehrkorn
05-10-2016, 01:46 PM
No problem. Uber and Lyft are great in PDX. so that's easy enough. Although I wouldn't suggest fighting rush hour traffic so a weekday might be tough.

Bartini has a great happy hour. Portland City Grill has a fantastic happy hour and one of the best views in PDX. Bridgeport Brewing is over by you and has really generous happy hour portions. On Deck Sportsbar has some really nice outdoor seating. Departure over by Pioneer Square has a sweet rooftop balcony. And the list goes on and on...

Sounds like you swallowed a city guide book :)

zabooda
05-10-2016, 01:52 PM
Also know that 10 Barrel sold out to Anheiser Busch and shunned by the many of the micro brew enthusiasts.

trayson
05-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Sounds like you swallowed a city guide book :)

These are just the places we frequent and have personal experience with. My wife and I like our Happy Hours. :D

chester
05-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Yes I did hear that AB bought them. We are mainly going there for the rooftop patio because the building we are putting up also has a rooftop patio. It's a recon mission.

Tray, I'll only be here on weekdays so that may not work out, but I do appreciate the offer. And thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to check out the ones you list. Went to Bridgeport for dinner, their pizza was really good.

beat taco
05-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Ecliptic Brewing and Widmer brewing are my favorites. John Harris started Ecliptic after leaving McMenamins and Deschutes where he created the recipes for mirror pond, jubelale, obsidian stout, and black butte porter.
And I just love Widmer hefeweizen. When I travel I'll forget I'm not on the left coast and ask for a hefe much to the servers confusion.

kaneboats
05-11-2016, 08:11 AM
Ha ha. When I was visiting I had not heard of Deschutes so I picked a hotel not too far from Widmer Bros. knowing my tendencies. Worked out great.

millerda68
05-11-2016, 11:19 AM
Some restaurants we frequent -
Touche (Pool tables and limited bar menu up stairs)
Andina
Oba
Portland City Grill
Yama Sushi
Davis Street Tavern
Paddy's Bar & Grill

This barely scratches the surface of what is there, but seem to be places we frequent.

We have been wanting to get to Bartini, heard good things there.

chester
05-11-2016, 12:26 PM
I appreciate all the feedback guys. I had dinner at fat heads last night, it was a pretty good pulled pork sandwich. Made it to 7 brew pubs in two days. Success so far!

kaneboats
05-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Dang, let me know next time you're going. My kinda people right there.

beat taco
05-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Some restaurants we frequent -
Touche (Pool tables and limited bar menu up stairs)
Andina
Oba
Portland City Grill
Yama Sushi
Davis Street Tavern
Paddy's Bar & Grill

This barely scratches the surface of what is there, but seem to be places we frequent.

We have been wanting to get to Bartini, heard good things there.
Dang Miller I thought you had kiss lol. Touche was on of my favorite spots in my 20's.

I was so so on Brazilian Grill but probably worth checking out. I made the mistake of hitting the salad bar first, if I go back I'll stick to the all you can eat skewers!

trayson
05-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Dang Miller I thought you had kiss lol. Touche was on of my favorite spots in my 20's.

I was so so on Brazilian Grill but probably worth checking out. I made the mistake of hitting the salad bar first, if I go back I'll stick to the all you can eat skewers!

Yeah, we hit up Fogo de Chao during Portland Dining Month when it was $30 instead of $50 each. Talk about a meat coma. Pretty awesome place if you can eat your money's worth.

zabooda
05-11-2016, 01:58 PM
I didn't know Portland had a Fogo. I learned something today. Put that on my Portland bucket list with an caveat and that is not to eat that day.

beat taco
05-11-2016, 02:23 PM
I didn't know Portland had a Fogo. I learned something today. Put that on my Portland bucket list with an caveat and that is not to eat that day.
Yes, don't go in drunk after the boat show so hungry you eat a huge salad!

chester
07-06-2016, 07:33 AM
I'll be out there again next Tuesday thru Thursday. Any chance anyone is hitting the water? Too bad mike moved since I wanna hear what exiles sound like and try out soulcraft that he hypes about.

trayson
07-06-2016, 11:26 AM
I'll be out there again next Tuesday thru Thursday. Any chance anyone is hitting the water? Too bad mike moved since I wanna hear what exiles sound like and try out soulcraft that he hypes about.

Sure. I'm sure we'll be out on the water at least one of those days if the weather doesn't completely suck. I may not have exiles, but I have a pair of Rev410's that do okay. I don't have a soulcraft, but I've got my Doomswell, two different custom Area51/Lakewakes boards, and a lakewakes skim that you're welcome to try out if you're interested. hehe.

We typically launch from Marine Park, just on the Vancouver side of the I-5 bridge, so you'd have to fight traffic, but it could be doable. I might be able to hook you up with one of the former Supra guys that rides with me sometimes and works in Portland.

chester
07-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Wersounds and doomswell are another option that I wanted to check out too, I'm not exactly partial to anything yet until I try it. And I'd be able to try an uber or something to get there.