PDA

View Full Version : Napa Valley Trip Help

kaneboats
05-06-2016, 01:59 PM
I have to go to Sacramento for work. I can stay around for a few days after my work thing is over and visit Napa wine country. It's in June near the time of our anniversary. My wife loves this stuff. I can get her out there round trip right now pretty cheap. I just don't know where to go and where to stay. There would be a pretty small budget for this so any advice on cost saving or places to hit would be helpful. Local knowledge is the best. Thanks!

crr1876
05-07-2016, 01:36 PM
I have to go to Sacramento for work. I can stay around for a few days after my work thing is over and visit Napa wine country. It's in June near the time of our anniversary. My wife loves this stuff. I can get her out there round trip right now pretty cheap. I just don't know where to go and where to stay. There would be a pretty small budget for this so any advice on cost saving or places to hit would be helpful. Local knowledge is the best. Thanks!

Kane,

My wife and I spent a couple days in Napa 2 years ago. We drove in from San Francisco. Our favorite wineries we visited:

1. Robert Mondavi- I was originally a bit skeptical since this is probably the largest however we did 3 or 4 tours and this was by far the best. Staff was very knowledgable, we learned a lot about wine, tasting, and the process.

2. Castello di Amoroso- This is a real castle and a really nice place to see, a little further out if I remember from downtown Napa but worth the drive.

We didn't actually stay in Napa so not much help there.

Chad

kaneboats
05-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the input!

deerfield
05-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Kane - Checking with my sister, a life-long Bay Area resident and wine country fan. Asked her for guidance and recommendations I can pass forward to you. Will circle back when I hear from her. Give me a day or so. - Deerfield

deerfield
05-10-2016, 09:00 PM
Kane - Checking with my sister, a life-long Bay Area resident and wine country fan. Asked her for guidance and recommendations I can pass forward to you. Will circle back when I hear from her. Give me a day or so. - Deerfield

Kane - An area with less expensive hotel rates is the town of Cordelia, located twenty minutes to the east of the southern end of the town of Napa. Cordelia is an easy shot to reach via I-80, when you are ready to play after finishing with business in Sacramento. Any overnight accommodation in the town of Napa or on Route 29 running through the valley all the way as far north as Calistoga will be very expensive.

With respect to activities in the valley, I understand the two big draws are wine tasting and dining. If comfortable, shoot me a PM with the wine(s) to which you and your wife are drawn (red, white, or both), as well as any specifics. For example, if a red wine, do you particularly enjoy or prefer a Cabernet, Pinot Noir, Merlot, or Zinfandel? (I know nothing about this stuff. Just relaying from my sister.) Also, let me know your budget for dinner for two, including wine: less than $100, up to $200, or more than $200.

Through my sister I can get you recommendations for specific wineries to visit as well as restaurants with great food to match your budget. Her go to source on this is a California friend who recently joined the Court of Master Sommeliers.

Hope this will help. - Deerfield

sandm
05-11-2016, 07:50 AM
kane,
skip the wine, make the 150mile trek and go straight to pebble beach...

ask for forgiveness later :)

kaneboats
05-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Scott, I'm with you! Stu- I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

zabooda
05-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Forget the wine and hit the Sierra Nevada Brewery. The tour fills up fast in advance so you need to get reservations. You start the tour drinking beer and end it by trying out about a dozen beers. The tour is free and they have a cool gift store. The restaurant next door is excellent and reasonable priced. Hit a Squeeze In burger joint in Sacramento. They are no longer squeezed in after the ADA lawsuit guy hit them they built new restaurants.

kaneboats
05-11-2016, 12:38 PM
No shortage of breweries in FL and there's a Sierra Nevada one in NC that's very impressive. What we really don't have here is wine.

sandm
05-11-2016, 12:42 PM
you have wine there. and who wouldn't take a wine bottle with a tiki dude on it seriously...
I did hear that the crop of 2013 oranges were some of the best yet...
https://img.grouponcdn.com/deal/2088f774eb8748d6a60c8da2ec442306/06/v1/c700x420.jpg

kaneboats
05-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Yea, well we can get Boone's Farm at the Magic Market too but I don't count that either.

deerfield
05-31-2016, 06:34 PM
Scott, I'm with you! Stu- I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

Kane - Sent you PM today, with Napa area insight and recommendations from the sommeliers. - Deerfield

kaneboats
06-01-2016, 10:48 AM
Got it. Thanks!