PDA

View Full Version : Battery selection and GM parts

Leirhiht
05-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Few questions about my boats battery selection and using GM engine sensors since it's a 5.7L.
Still learning about the boat, bought it used in July.

My owners manual states to never use the 1&2 switch for batteries. Obviously I use one setting when starting and cruising around. But when I want to stop and chill and cut the engine but still listen to music what do i do to the batteries and still be able to start the boat? It even states to not set it to the 2 position, what's it there for if I'm not supposed to use 1&2 or 2?

Also, one of my temp sensors is out and I was wondering if I can just use a GM sensor for my 5.7L and a GM tstat,would those work?

Thanks for reading.

gregski
05-06-2016, 03:48 AM
1. I almost always use standard GM parts. The exception is when marine (explosion protection) is required - think anything with a spark: distributor, any electric motor like the starter and alternator, etc. Also note that boats are tuned to run cooler than their automotive counterparts so your thermostat has the same size/shape as a standard GM part but with a lower operating temp, but in a pinch...

2. It's hard to answer your question about the battery switch without more info. What kind of switch do you have installed, are you sure it's factory installed, what year/model is your boat? If you have an automatic type switch (VSR - voltage sensitive relay or ACR), then you set it and forget it Ronco style. If you have a manual switch (Perko is common) then you would have to do the switching, typically 1+2 while you are running/charging and then 2 when you are sitting, jamming the tunes. There are lots of threads on the forum discussing the differences.

Leirhiht
05-06-2016, 09:49 AM
1. I almost always use standard GM parts. The exception is when marine (explosion protection) is required - think anything with a spark: distributor, any electric motor like the starter and alternator, etc. Also note that boats are tuned to run cooler than their automotive counterparts so your thermostat has the same size/shape as a standard GM part but with a lower operating temp, but in a pinch...

2. It's hard to answer your question about the battery switch without more info. What kind of switch do you have installed, are you sure it's factory installed, what year/model is your boat? If you have an automatic type switch (VSR - voltage sensitive relay or ACR), then you set it and forget it Ronco style. If you have a manual switch (Perko is common) then you would have to do the switching, typically 1+2 while you are running/charging and then 2 when you are sitting, jamming the tunes. There are lots of threads on the forum discussing the differences.

I have an 08 moomba mobius lsv as far as I know the set up is factory but not 100% sure. I do have to turn it manually to one to start up but then I leave it there. If i have to do that then that means i have the perko right? Then it's safe to run 1&2 while cruising to get the audio battery juiced up? Would a picture help?

kaneboats
05-06-2016, 10:08 AM
They tell you not to run 1 & 2 because you will forget and run down both batteries. On the other hand, you will also charge both batteries while running but your alternator probably doesn't output enough to really do this while running if lots of electronics are on. They probably have it set up in the fail/safe way where #2 remains charged and isolated and you use #1. Run all day on #1, run tunes on #1. At the end of the day if #1 is too dead to restart your boat to go home you switch to fully charged #2 and start the boat.

rdlangston13
05-06-2016, 11:23 AM
I have all my house electronics run to my group 29 deep cycle (battery #2). The only thing on number 1 is the starter. I run with my batteries in 1&2 if I am driving, if I park for an extended period of time I swap the Perko to battery 1. This isolates it from the stereo draining it but when I go to start the boat battery 1 will do the cranking.

Sent from my iPhone

dusty2221
05-06-2016, 11:50 AM
^ You mean switch to 2 while parked for extended period.

Leirhiht
05-06-2016, 08:10 PM
24008That's what I thought cruise w 1 and 2 and park with 2. Start up again with 1. Here's a pic of my setup. It's not a great pic,I took went so I could remember where the cables go on the battery when I was taking them out last November.

MLA
05-06-2016, 09:08 PM
Few questions about my boats battery selection and using GM engine sensors since it's a 5.7L.
Still learning about the boat, bought it used in July.

My owners manual states to never use the 1&2 switch for batteries. Obviously I use one setting when starting and cruising around. But when I want to stop and chill and cut the engine but still listen to music what do i do to the batteries and still be able to start the boat? It even states to not set it to the 2 position, what's it there for if I'm not supposed to use 1&2 or 2?

Also, one of my temp sensors is out and I was wondering if I can just use a GM sensor for my 5.7L and a GM tstat,would those work?

Thanks for reading.

How the system is wired will ultimately determine how to best use the switch, but I can safely say: you can crank and run on "1", crank and run on "2", and crank and run on "BOTH". Just dont turn to or through "OFF" with engine running. if wired right, you would want to anchor on "1" or "2", leaving the other bank in reserve to refire.