PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question Flow VS Ghetto

mazzyel2162
05-04-2016, 05:57 PM
For those who have experience in wake shapers

If the Moomba Manual Flow and a Ghetto Gate were to cost you absolutely no money - which would you choose for the better surf wake?

Better meaning = 3+ foot wave and Longer (further behind the boat).

e

icemanftr
05-04-2016, 11:41 PM
Moomba Manual flow. It's factory, adds value, selling point, isn't hung on with zip ties and wood. Works awesome on my LSV and honestly wouldn't even like the idea of Ronix wake shaper and its "Velcro" even on my boat. I am not superficial, but don't care for homemade hack jobs on my boat. I have seen some very nice homemade ones, but I have seen far more "ghetto" gates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mazzyel2162
05-05-2016, 05:20 AM
thanks for the response iceman. That's what I was wondering does the flow work as advertised or is a home made job just as good or perhaps better.

Never considered the add value point. Your right.

sandm
05-05-2016, 08:43 AM
ghetto gate- although put some time into making it look astheticly pleasing.
the manual flow never really took off and iirc it was a 1 or 2 year only option that is no longer around. I would not want to structurally alter my boat for something that may not produce the results you are looking for. a ghetto gate can be removed if you don't like it.

I'd hold out for a tabbed setup. that seems to be where the market is moving toward.

kaneboats
05-05-2016, 08:51 AM
Agree. If it was going to cost me no money I'd opt for some tabs. Personally, I made a gate but will be looking for the right tab system to be developed.

jmvotto
05-05-2016, 09:57 AM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?24964-XLV-Ghetto-Gate/page14&highlight=ghetto+gate

Ed, check out post 134, the gate you can tweek in size vs the flow v1 , but the storage copuld be an issue . mine is small 25 bucks to build and I keep in in the front of the locker , easy to build two if necessary. plus I painted it black

Joe

parrothd
05-05-2016, 10:56 AM
The ghetto gate, you don't find many posts of how awsome the flow system was. It seems to work, but the cost is $$$$. With a gate you can experiment for $25 and see what works best..

jmvotto
05-05-2016, 11:14 AM
the flow does work great, we have a 2013 mojo with one and throws one of the best waves I have ridden and I have ridden most , see muehlcj for pics

mazzyel2162
05-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Flow "only option that is no longer around"

Really? I'll have to rethink this. Who knows, I may end up with all the options.

In the mean time I just ordered a skateboard ramp and some Velcro. I like that it seems to work pretty well, you can use it on both sides of the boat, it's cheap and I don't feel like running around to hardware stores several times.

icemanftr
05-05-2016, 01:26 PM
Yes the flow is gone, but there are units still out there. You also have to remember they also made it fit older Moombas also as an option for a surf system. Flow isn't around because SC didn't want to be left in dust with every other manufacture being completely automated. What would be the point of still offering once they went with tab 1.0 and now 2.0? It's not like it's worth keep production of flow as an option for those who rather not pay 3-5k when building boat, to many loose ends. I'm glad it is no longer being advertised on their boats, as I was able to get my brand new flow shipped and installed for $1040! So when I do the math and factor in the selling point down the road it was a no brainer. It has made my goofy wave so much cleaner, bigger, faster. It was worth every penny of that $1040. Some people spend more than that annually on two surf board purchases. 😬 The flow will last a lifetime on boat. As I also assume if it causes any stress to transom area that SC will stand behind their products being an oem part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk