PDA

View Full Version : Steering

jon_n_andrea
07-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Is it normal to need some strength to turn the wheel when the boat is in motion, like pulling a tube or something like that? Or does that mean the steering cable is a little stiff and about to break? Thanks.

JoeTechie
07-07-2006, 10:42 AM
What model and year ? They have changed steering mechanics over the years and each has it's own quirks.

If we talk physics alone - then the faster you travel, the harder it will get to steer. Going 4 mph in a no wake zone, the wheel will spin with your pinky finger, going 44, and you will have to use both hands... well want too as well ;) It should never require "force" though. It should always feel smooth. Anytime it feels jerky or like it is binding, then free - that is the easy sign to a problem.

-J

jon_n_andrea
07-07-2006, 10:44 AM
99 Moomba Outback LS, and it doesn't feel jerky, just needs a little strength to turn the wheel, probably around 20-25 MPH.

zabooda
07-07-2006, 12:00 PM
I have a 99 Mobius and the steering takes a little more effort than my I/O did because the I/Os have power steering. I did notice a clunking noise when I turned all the way in one direction (I can't remember which way) which tells me I need to try and lube the cable at the rudder end. I have to lift the floor to do that but then I will see what they used for lube and add some more. Probably some type of grease. If you try that, it may help.

SkiBoy
01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Anyone have any idea on just lubing the cable and not replacing it?

I searched the forum, but had no luck. Steering is a bit stiff the past few seasons.

Thanks

99 Outback LS

polar21
01-19-2010, 06:35 PM
I have a 99 outback and there is a zerk fitting (grease gun needed) on the top of the rudder where the steering cable meets up.

SkiBoy
01-19-2010, 07:37 PM
I have a 99 outback and there is a zerk fitting (grease gun needed) on the top of the rudder where the steering cable meets up.

I grease that every year, but was wondering about the rest of the cable from the wheel back.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

polar21
01-20-2010, 01:42 PM
I wouldnt think that area would need any grease as it would come greased up from the factory and the grease would stay in the sleeve for a long time.

kaneboats
01-20-2010, 02:17 PM
I know I saw a thread on here somewhere where somebody was lubing their steering cable. Have to take a look.

SkiBoy
01-20-2010, 06:23 PM
I always check the ball joint connection and tighten that every year since It popped out several years back during a run. Steering went out at 36. Not a good feeling for the driver.
We limped back to the dock with me manually moving the rudder every so often. (Engine off, safety first!)

I may get one more year out of it and then rplace the line if I keep the boat.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

mustangairchair
02-02-2010, 09:42 PM
i have fixxed lots of cables. i did put a thread up with picture how to fix and lube regulary.my boat is not here so i cant send more pictures look in the old threads and it will be there i drilled a hole in the cable and injected plid down the cable when turning back and forth. cables will build up with rust over time and get tighter. my boat i had to steer with two hand all the time now its one finger

redneckproud
04-04-2010, 03:20 PM
From what I have read this is a common problem. We have an 05 Outback with only 80 hours. We went to take the boat out this weekend and it is near impossible to steer. From previous threads it looks like these can be replaced at home. I saw one thread that there were posted picts on how to do this but they are no longer avaliable. I am having trouble even getting the floor up to see how difficult a task this is going to be. Is there any advice you can give me as to if this is worth my time, trouble and frusterations or should I just take it in and pay the $500?