PDA

View Full Version : Getting kids on the wake, Hydroslide Versa?

Wax
05-03-2016, 10:37 AM
I have 4 kids ages 11, 7, 6, and 5. The 11 and 6 are my step kids. All boys except one girl, she's the 7. They've grown up basically tubing only, my kids from around age 2 or 3, other two mostly have been boating just the last two years with me. I take all of them surfing with me, and we are on the boat all the time in summer. They watch me, mom, and friends wakeboard, surf, and slalom all the time.

They are all athletic, and my two (7 and 5) have both been snow skiing since before they turned 2 and can snow ski on their own. The other two started 2 years ago; 11 year old can snowboard kind of okay, the 6 year old tries to ski but hasn't really quite figured out the balance yet. They can all balance on other things like a hoverboard, skateboard, skates, etc.

Regardless, none of them have been successful at trying to wakeboard or ski. I have kid's training skis with the bar and a kid's wakeboard. They just don't understand the pull of the boat and the feeling of balancing on the water. It's to the point that none of them even want to try anymore. I was a snowboard and ski instructor, and I've taught countless people to ski, wakeboard, and surf. Something may be said about having somebody else other than mom or dad teach, but that'll be hard to find. We've tried holding them for a dock start and holding them in shallow water, they just fall right over no matter how we try to help them start. I just don't get it, when I was a kid I tried to ride any board or skis I could behind a boat and just kept doing it until I figured it out lol.

I'm trying to find something to get them excited about trying to ski or board this year, and give them a real chance at liking it. In a random Bass Pro outing the other day, I came across the Hydroslide Versa board. I did some research and it can be used as a knee board, wakeboard, "ski" board, and surf board based on if you attach the strap style bindings and in what orientation. It has a hook on the front to hook the rope to, and then the rope can be easily lifted off once the rider is steady.

Has anybody tried this board with kids (or yourself lol), or similar? I see there is also another similar board on the market, Gladiator something. Do you have any other suggestions that have worked with your kids? I honestly do not think they're going to figure out the skis and wakeboard any time soon, and I really want to get them on the water with something that's very easy at first and will help them slowly understand the pull of the boat and the dynamics of riding on water. This honestly looks like it could be the ticket, but I'm not a huge fan of Hydroslide type stuff and it's not really THAT cheap at around $200.

Wax
05-03-2016, 10:39 AM
I also should say we took them to a water park a month or two ago that had the surf thing, and they all really liked "boogie boarding" on it...I think this board could also be used as a boogie board behind the boat.

smorris7
05-03-2016, 10:56 AM
I started my son at 5 on a wakeboard. Used a surf rope at slow speed so he could get up and get a feel of the pull of the boat and balance. A couple of pulls like that and he was ready to ride at 65 feet or do at around 12 mph. After he had the feel of a wakeboard he started with the surfboard. Used a broadcast board and started on his knees like a knee board. I also used YouTube videos of other young kids his age as motivation. https://vimeo.com/165158638

He is 7 in this video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yearround
05-03-2016, 11:14 AM
I feel your passion and problem. just keep loving them!

I had a similar thing with my kids. 1 got up immediately, 2 got up soon. 3, took forever to get it, now she loves it, 4, he never wanted to, but when he finally tried, nailed it.

our best success with kids usually comes when they have been on the knee board, either with a hook or holding them for a knee start. before they get up in the water for a start on the wakeboard, we go through lots of pulls on the boat floor or ground, etc. to help keep them from bend the hips. they all have great balance cuz they are skateboarding, bikes, razors, etc. other helps we have found, is from some vids on line. tell them to stay tucked up in a ball like a peanut and not stand up soon, etc. but you probably know all those. it is often difficult to come from Dad.

tell them everyone here wants to see their great video of riding.

07STI
05-03-2016, 11:15 AM
I started my son at 5 on a wakeboard. Used a surf rope at slow speed so he could get up and get a feel of the pull of the boat and balance. A couple of pulls like that and he was ready to ride at 65 feet or do at around 12 mph. After he had the feel of a wakeboard he started with the surfboard. Used a broadcast board and started on his knees like a knee board. I also used YouTube videos of other young kids his age as motivation. https://vimeo.com/165158638

He is 7 in this video.

I like the idea of using a surf rope at slow speeds. How did you handle making sure he could flip over if he lands face first? That's my biggest fear...I have a 5 year old son. I plan on sitting in lake with him (no boat) with board/life jacket on and just getting used to the feel. I'll have him practice swimming with it on and see how he does.

smorris7
05-03-2016, 11:21 AM
I like the idea of using a surf rope at slow speeds. How did you handle making sure he could flip over if he lands face first? That's my biggest fear...I have a 5 year old son. I plan on sitting in lake with him (no boat) with board/life jacket on and just getting used to the feel. I'll have him practice swimming with it on and see how he does.

First thing is to make sure the board is appropriate for his height and weight. We made him show us he could flip the board BEFORE we ever let him behind the boat. You can also practice getting up on the grass at home. Put the board on them and have them sit down and pull them up slowly with a rope. Helps them understand the leverage.

trayson
05-03-2016, 11:33 AM
My son was the same way. He's been snow skiing since he was 3 and was dropping double black diamonds and hitting all sorts of features in the terrain parks at 7. But after a bad experience with some old wooden double skis, he said "watersports weren't his thing". Funny because I had him out on a wakesurf board with me when he was about 4. But once we got our own boat, he wasn't having it.

We went 2 seasons where he wouldn't do anything behind the boat. I likewise bought him a kids wakeboard and trained him in a swimming pool for the feel of it. Finally for season 3, he said he's be down to try surfing. It's because the slower speed. He would try and try and had a GREAT attitude. he would get on top of the board (still sideways) for just a second and be super stoked. That was on my Wife's 4'8 Ronix Caption. But even as small as it was, the board was too big for him. So I threw down an bought him a Phase5 Scamp. He did a lot better on that, but it hadn't quite got it yet. We convinced him to try the wakeboard again (at slower speeds) and he popped right up! after surf attempts, having the wakeboard strapped to his feet actually helped. We were all so happy, my wife ended up in tears! A couple weeks later he was able to pop up on the surf board and get in a little line ride.

That said, he was able to play on the kneeboard a lot easier. We got one with the rope holder also. Before that we tried a "Zup" board at a Wake the World event. they're also one of those combo boards but a lot more expensive. they have molded in handles and the kids adore those handles and the rope keeper. I got this Obrien kneeboard because it was the least expensive and still had a rope keeper.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=OBrien-Radica-Kneeboard-With-Free-Handle-Rope&i=837332

I kinda wish I would have gotten something with the handles, but I'm not willing to buy another one! Yes, it does seem kids can "get" kneeboarding easier than wake or surf. We still haven't gotten my son back on waterskis, which is ironic with him being such a good snow skier.

jmvotto
05-03-2016, 11:35 AM
try this we use it for all our kids to get started, then you can go to a jimmy jam ( foam, knee board/surf board) then to a rreal wake surfer or wakeboard

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/obrien-fun-board-towable~p~3115f/

http://www.wateroutfitters.com/O'Brien-Jimmy-Jam-Trainer-Wakesurfer/101936P,default,pd.html

trayson
05-03-2016, 11:39 AM

With kids, I found that we'd often have to handle the flipping of the wakeboard if they ended up floating on their stomach. but yes, practicing in a pool or just off the boat is a good thing. reminding them that if they are floating on their stomach to extend their legs (so the crouch doesn't push their face in the water more).

I know that with my son on both the surfboard and wakeboard he is leaning SO far back and bending his knees so much in a crouch that there's pretty much no chance he was going to catch a toe edge.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7XMe39JeSqQ/Vbq_IEtT9RI/AAAAAAAAZ0o/NBWtc52UZXUSZ6WUAqiNs8crNTzmmKMvwCCo/s800/20150728_090939-1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tiJQ0Xa1wds/Vf3lpoG3o2I/AAAAAAAAaaw/VoPr-Bmjx3UHEDXfwtpfaM4CoKYj_xLhQCCo/s800/G0021898.JPG

Wax
05-03-2016, 02:05 PM
try this we use it for all our kids to get started, then you can go to a jimmy jam ( foam, knee board/surf board) then to a rreal wake surfer or wakeboard

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/obrien-fun-board-towable~p~3115f/

http://www.wateroutfitters.com/O'Brien-Jimmy-Jam-Trainer-Wakesurfer/101936P,default,pd.html

Ohhhhh yeah, these look like MONEY! That O'Brien fun board is perfect, that's more in the price range I was thinking! Too bad they're sold out, and look like it'll be hard to find. No luck yet, web searching.

Wax
05-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Ohhhhh yeah, these look like MONEY! That O'Brien fun board is perfect, that's more in the price range I was thinking! Too bad they're sold out, and look like it'll be hard to find. No luck yet, web searching.

Well....literally can't find either anywhere online. Looks like maybe they don't make either anymore? Went to O'Brien site, scoured the web...nothing.

Maybe back to the Versa...

CFD3Captain
05-03-2016, 02:38 PM
I we have a Versa and my two kids love it. It has gotten them off the tube and in the water to learn. Neither were "fond" of the water before it. Now they can't wait to learn surf this year. The board is even fun for the adults. We plan to try it without the grab handles some this year to stand on etc...
l also bought the hydroslide rope/handle because it has that special bar that allows the hydro hook to be used a little easier.

It was a great purchase. Notice no hands in the one pic 👍👊

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/ce5bb2134c787f4f0cb952f76551c1d0.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/dce26193a51a110ce153bcfe1031fbd3.jpg

trayson
05-03-2016, 03:16 PM
A piece of advice for those that are thinking about one of the "all in one" boards like mentioned above: They are pretty easy to ride like a kneeboard. And that's where they shine. As far as riding them in a stand up fashion for a beginner, think twice.

I spent a day with the nicer of the "zup" boards. They have surf traction on it so are meant to be able to ride it sideways like a surf board. Yeah, it's technically possible, but they don't have a rear fin, so SQUIRRLEY as anything! I can get up and surf just about anything. And sure, I was able to get up and ride the Zup as a surf board for a little bit, but without a fin, it doesn't track in the water when you stand on it. Certainly not enough for a beginner. As far as the foot straps that are meant to ride it forwards (like a pair of skis), yeah right. I couldn't make it happen. And I've skiied all my life.

So, the "all in one boards" are honestly (IMO) boards that are glorified kneeboards. They actually are easier than a kneeboard because some of them have additional width and some have those handles. Yeah, it might be possible to dabble with standing on them, but there's no substitute for something that has a fin. (I even told the Zup account reps that they need to make it so they have a removable fin).

Wax
05-03-2016, 04:41 PM
A piece of advice for those that are thinking about one of the "all in one" boards like mentioned above: They are pretty easy to ride like a kneeboard. And that's where they shine. As far as riding them in a stand up fashion for a beginner, think twice.

I spent a day with the nicer of the "zup" boards. They have surf traction on it so are meant to be able to ride it sideways like a surf board. Yeah, it's technically possible, but they don't have a rear fin, so SQUIRRLEY as anything! I can get up and surf just about anything. And sure, I was able to get up and ride the Zup as a surf board for a little bit, but without a fin, it doesn't track in the water when you stand on it. Certainly not enough for a beginner. As far as the foot straps that are meant to ride it forwards (like a pair of skis), yeah right. I couldn't make it happen. And I've skiied all my life.

So, the "all in one boards" are honestly (IMO) boards that are glorified kneeboards. They actually are easier than a kneeboard because some of them have additional width and some have those handles. Yeah, it might be possible to dabble with standing on them, but there's no substitute for something that has a fin. (I even told the Zup account reps that they need to make it so they have a removable fin).

I would think that you are probably a little bit heavier than a 5, 6, 7 or 11 year old. It would seem the channels may do a decent job of helping it track with a light child. I assume also that small children will nearly be able to stand up and float on the Versa. Maybe CFD3Captain can comment regarding both?

beat taco
05-03-2016, 04:58 PM
I went straight to wakeboarding
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/20b4d7d072525d020090c9f331f4afe1.jpg

trayson
05-03-2016, 05:11 PM
I would think that you are probably a little bit heavier than a 5, 6, 7 or 11 year old. It would seem the channels may do a decent job of helping it track with a light child. I assume also that small children will nearly be able to stand up and float on the Versa. Maybe CFD3Captain can comment regarding both?

Yeah, my 10 year old doesn't weigh 165. But he doesn't have my skill level either. Maybe you're right. Maybe channels are good enough. But for any kind of "stand up" attempt, I'll be putting my son on something with a fin. I got him the Phase 5 scamp for his wakesurf board. it's thin and light. goes in the board racks. For what it's worth, I was able to freeride his 3'9" scamp, LOL. :-)

I guess I just wanted to caution people that if you think that they are truly a jack of all trades, then at least consider the impact of a non finned board on the feasibility for a beginner to ride standing. Trust me, after dropping even just $100 on a kneeboard with a rope keeper, I kinda wish I would be able to go back and do it over, because I might have opted for something different (I still wonder to myself if the handles or something wider would have been worth the extra money).

If you look at the most popular of the suggestions on this thread, both the Obrien fun board and jimmy jam have rear fins. That said, if you were willing to drill a couple holes and mount some fins to one of the Zup or similar boards, I think you'd have something that really would work for beginners on all fronts (knee and standing).

smorris7
05-03-2016, 05:46 PM
Start them on the wakeboard they will pick it up super fast and never look back. I wouldn't waste your time or effort on something they will outgrow after a few rides.

CFD3Captain
05-03-2016, 06:22 PM
The Versa has two retractable fins on it. They don't advertise this and in my opinion it's a huge feature of it. I'll take a pic if anyone wants to see

trayson
05-03-2016, 07:10 PM
The Versa has two retractable fins on it. They don't advertise this and in my opinion it's a huge feature of it. I'll take a pic if anyone wants to see

That's good to know. I like that design.

you can see it on this pic from Overtons:
http://cdn.overtons.com/product/848/848687_L21.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=1200px:

trayson
05-03-2016, 07:17 PM
Well, now that my son's gotten up on a wakeboard and a surfboard, I'd be fine with moving on from my O'Brien Radica kneeboard. bought last year, used maybe 10 times ever over 1 week with the extended family.

I just put it on CL for $99. Local would make the most sense, but I get killer fedex rates, so shipping it wouldn't be out of the question:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/spo/5569201512.html

http://images.craigslist.org/00707_5MPVDFa6zat_600x450.jpg

Wax
05-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Start them on the wakeboard they will pick it up super fast and never look back. I wouldn't waste your time or effort on something they will outgrow after a few rides.

Well, if it had worked with them, I wouldn't be asking about other options. They don't want to even try anymore. Not gonna force it on them, worst thing for a kid. It's very frustrating though; when I was a kid I just strapped on a board and rode it even if it took me a few times to get up. I think a board that's versatile and can be ridden like a boogie board, knee board, wakeboard, fat ski, etc would help them just learn the feeling and dynamics of being pulled on the water.

If they each rode it once to get up their confidence and then all four could wakeboard, surf, or ski right after then I'd say it was $200 very well spent. I was hoping people could chip in, as some have, regarding this board specifically and other options.

CFD3Captain
05-03-2016, 08:52 PM
This is the rope/handle I bought. It has a metal piece along the bottom to hook it the "hydro hook" It leaves the rest of the handle free on the board to grab if you want use the board like a traditional knee board (minus the strap) It's really nice to just hook the handle and only to have to hold the board getting up!
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=HydroSlide-Kneeboard-Handle-Rope&i=16136&r=view

I haven't used any way but as a kneeboard with the handles to hold on to. Like I said, several adults have ridden this way too just goofing off and it was fun. So it's not a complete waste if it doesn't work for the kids, but I doubt it will be. My goal was getting the kids in the water and not intimidating them. It worked. My daughter was 9 last year and as I said, she's read to try surfing now and already said she's looking forward to the kneeboard again. The bottom line is this.....it doesn't matter what the kids are riding so long as THEY are having fun and aren't scared to death. As you can see from the two pics I posted, she isn't scared on the Versa :) Before this, the tube was it all they would try and even then, it wasn't the tubing I like, they didn't want whipped etc.....This board, they were cutting in and out of the wake etc.... I was actually surprised.

CFD3Captain
05-03-2016, 08:54 PM
One more thing, looks like Overton's has a sale that ends tonight, spend $250 and get a $50 gift card

Wax
05-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Thanks CFD3, I actually have a rope with a small secondary handle that looks almost identical to the "hydrohook" rope. I'll prob try that first to see before I spend another $30 on a rope.

Thanks for your input. I'm leaning more and more toward it unless I can find those O'Brien boards somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Wax
05-04-2016, 12:49 AM
Has anybody tried the Rave Sports Aqua Buddy? Forgot about it, but I have seen it before. Tapatalk sucks, won't ever let me upload pics.

trayson
05-04-2016, 01:19 AM
Has anybody tried the Rave Sports Aqua Buddy? Forgot about it, but I have seen it before. Tapatalk sucks, won't ever let me upload pics.

That's an interesting concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=vKblff9xXd0

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81dL4MDo3tL._SX355_.jpg

kaneboats
05-04-2016, 01:49 PM
I went on Craigslist and found a nice Zap skimboard. Drilled a couple holes in it and added a nice sized fin to make it stable. They rode it as a knee board and then we practiced getting up on it in the pool with me running and pulling them with an old ski rope. Next time out my little two were surfing.

MJHSupra
05-04-2016, 08:15 PM
That's an interesting concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=vKblff9xXd0

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81dL4MDo3tL._SX355_.jpg

I've used this method, but with a smaller tube for getting up on a wake board. Pain in the butt. They get dragged in the water, then once the speed gets going, they stand up. They are only sitting on the edge.

Most kids like when I get in the water with them. I try to do this by a dock.

This is after they practice flipping the board in the water - front to back. And back to front. Many times. If they are not comfortable, you can tell.

I also practice with them on the swim platform. Sometimes with them sitting in the water with the wake board against the swim platform (this creates a rocker position for them). Other times pulling them 5-10ft in the water. That wears me out. Trying to help them with form and the feeling of getting pulled in the water.

M-

icemanftr
05-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Just picked this up today at local marina for mine. P5 Scamp. 270 out the door. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160505/804f3b9cfd1dbd3af901e6ebb72909d0.jpg

jmvotto
05-04-2016, 09:17 PM
I would sell you my fun board and jimmy jam , but we still need them. I will check my local marina where I bought them and see if they have any hanging around.

Not priced as well but could do everything.

Try this

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Zup-Board&i=731608&r=view&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=373331363038&gclid=CKCmsZbhwcwCFUxZhgodab4LRg

Woody929
05-05-2016, 12:55 AM
Just picked this up today at local marina for mine. P5 Scamp. 270 out the door. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160505/804f3b9cfd1dbd3af901e6ebb72909d0.jpg

This is what my 9 year old rides, and I plan on starting my nearly 6 year old twins on it this year. Based on everything else they've done, I expect one of them to get it pretty quick, and the other to give up in about 3 seconds. 😄

smorris7
05-05-2016, 07:00 AM

One of the very best starter boards for kids! Light weight and easy to ride.

kaneboats
05-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Yea, looks like a mini version of the Oogle, which is a classsic fun to ride board.

trayson
05-05-2016, 12:46 PM

My son rides a Phase 5 scamp too. I got mine through wakemakers. they sell it for $279, and with the forum discount it'd be $251 shipped.

trayson
05-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Well, now that my son's gotten up on a wakeboard and a surfboard, I'd be fine with moving on from my O'Brien Radica kneeboard. bought last year, used maybe 10 times ever over 1 week with the extended family.

I just put it on CL for $99. Local would make the most sense, but I get killer fedex rates, so shipping it wouldn't be out of the question:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/spo/5569201512.html

http://images.craigslist.org/00707_5MPVDFa6zat_600x450.jpg

Well, I put my kneeboard on Ebay and I sold it in a day for $90. Not bad considering I got it on sale at Overtons a year ago for about $100.

I decided that if I had to do it all over again, I was wishing I would have gotten something like the Gladiator Versa (or the Zup) that had a little more width and the built in handles. Neither of the "all in one" boards I think are a replacement to a real wake or surf board. But as the OP stated, it's something that can be used to get the kids on the water in SOME fashion and having fun. I know from experience that when I had a Zup to offer to the beginners at the Wake the World event, they all rode it and had a blast. I was able to do that whole event without ever getting out a tube!!!

Between the Zup and the Versa, I'm going to go with the Versa. I dig the retractable fins, and the price is a LOT less. And from what I've seen of people trying the ZUP boards, having handles really helps the kids. So I'm going to go with handles over just a traditional kneeboard with a rope keeper.

I just pulled the trigger on a Versa. If I use it for Wake the World events and for newbie kids, that's fine. I found it on www.jet.com with free shipping for $172.69 and if you're a new customer with them, you can use the "15NOW" code to get another 15% off (max $25 off). so the net price would be $147.69 which is a ton cheaper than the Sup.

https://jet.com/product/Hydroslide-Versa-Board/f17f6887bc9d4ee19009fe68d69b4567

https://images.jet.com/md5/d6bc73c0deac32f118b168c4b3273e23.500

icemanftr
05-05-2016, 01:09 PM
My son rides a Phase 5 scamp too. I got mine through wakemakers. they sell it for $279, and with the forum discount it'd be $251 shipped.

Forgot about forum discount. Sometimes I like to give back to my local community though. 😀

trayson
05-05-2016, 01:11 PM
Forgot about forum discount. Sometimes I like to give back to my local community though. ��

Haha. Wakemakers is in Bend. That's not very far away from either of us! Heck, they used to be located in Oregon City before they moved to bend. That's local to me! Plus the WM guys are pretty fantastic. Def a company I don't have a problem supporting!

icemanftr
05-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Haha. Wakemakers is in Bend. That's not very far away from either of us! Heck, they used to be located in Oregon City before they moved to bend. That's local to me! Plus the WM guys are pretty fantastic. Def a company I don't have a problem supporting!

I know, I am just being a smart ass. Actually rather support them than Hagadone. Hagadone is a rich dude that pretty much owns Coeur d'Alene, ID. He's got enough money. 🤑

CFD3Captain
05-05-2016, 02:12 PM
It says the weight limit for the Scamp is 120# I am just wondering if it is worth it to get for my daughter. She is 10 and weighs around 100#. She should get a few years out of it I would think?? Has to be better than starting her on an adult surfer

trayson
05-05-2016, 02:26 PM
It says the weight limit for the Scamp is 120# I am just wondering if it is worth it to get for my daughter. She is 10 and weighs around 100#. She should get a few years out of it I would think?? Has to be better than starting her on an adult surfer

I think it'd be worth using. if she outgrows it, that board will be pretty easy to resell. For what it's worth, I've been able to freeride the scamp (with tremendous effort) and I'm 5'10 and 169. LOL. I just wanted to prove I could!

Wax
05-05-2016, 06:23 PM
https://jet.com/product/Hydroslide-Versa-Board/f17f6887bc9d4ee19009fe68d69b4567

https://images.jet.com/md5/d6bc73c0deac32f118b168c4b3273e23.500

Good find. I'm probably going to pick one up also.

Wax
05-05-2016, 07:34 PM
Just ordered mine on jet.com, $150.55 otd for the orange one, great deal.

Also, I use uPromise and have the credit card, so I received 10% cash back on top. Boom!

trayson
05-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Just ordered mine on jet.com, $150.55 otd for the orange one, great deal.

Also, I use uPromise and have the credit card, so I received 10% cash back on top. Boom!

My son's favorite color is orange. I ordered the orange one too. Yeah the green one would have been $5 more, but my son will be stoked on the orange. Sounds like you had the same thought process as me. :-)

trayson
05-12-2016, 12:13 AM
I got my Hydroslide Versa delivered today. the first thing I noticed is the thing is HUGE. It's 27" wide and 56" long. That's as long as my wife's surfboard. The next and VERY obvious thing is that it's HEAVY. like a tank. It was actually so heavy that I had to grab the scale to find out how much it weighed.

I was pretty surprised to find out that the board (with the handles and foot straps) was exactly 20 pounds. Good grief. No way that's gonna go on top of my cargo bimini.

I guess it's a good thing that I'll only be using it sporadically. Talk about a beast. Seems like anyone would be able to ride it though. It'll be like towing a dinghy behind the XLV! And for the purposes of having something that the newbie kiddos can ride, this should deliver as promised. Still though, 20 pounds?!?!? Wow.

beat taco
05-12-2016, 12:39 AM
I went straight to wakeboarding
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/20b4d7d072525d020090c9f331f4afe1.jpg
Yes, this.

trayson
05-12-2016, 12:48 AM
Yes, this.

Jake, my son can already get up on both the wakeboard and the surfboard. The Versa is really for those kids that aren't out on the water all the time, or maybe the ones that don't possess that natural athletic ability (or courage). I'm thinking that honestly, this would get the most use when I volunteer at Wake the World. (last year we had a Zup board to use and the thing was getting action all day long).

So like I said, the majority of time it'll stay at home. But like everything else, it'll serve a specific niche. (and if it does nothing else than allow me to leave the TUBE at home, it'll have served its purpose!!) I figure if it's between this and the kneeboard I just sold off, This is the better tool for the people that aren't going to be naturals at wakeboarding or surfing.

beat taco
05-12-2016, 01:39 AM
You should always have it on board, you never know when it will come on handy and I would hate to miss an opportunity to break it out.
75% of the time I load my boat with kids who are first timers and we strap the board on them and go. I should take more pics of a typical day on my boat, it's definitely not on your level as far as boat bun but I absolutely live for it.

Connolly_Crew
05-12-2016, 07:51 AM
Lookup a YouTube vid Shaun Murray did on teaching kids to board. Used his method with mine and they can all get up. My 8 yo, now in his 3 rd season, just pulled his 1st w2w last Sunday.

MJHSupra
05-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Lookup a YouTube vid Shaun Murray did on teaching kids to board. Used his method with mine and they can all get up. My 8 yo, now in his 3 rd season, just pulled his 1st w2w last Sunday.

That is how I do it. Instead of the pool, I use the surf platform to help show them the starting position.
I'm going to use that trick of having the kids extend their arm in the air to swing their upper body around, then then board will flip in the water.

cpropes2005
05-12-2016, 09:52 AM
I started my kids on this when they were 2 and they love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Airhead-AHEZ-100-Trainer-Inflatable-Tube/dp/B00AJVLB9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463060820&sr=8-1&keywords=ski+trainer

It is basically a tube with a hard bottom but it at least gets them used to being behind the boat by themselves, holding on to a handle and standing up. It has been really good for the little kids.

My son will turn 5 this summer so I just picked up a versa also so we are going to try and transition from the tube trainer to that this summer.

beat taco
05-12-2016, 11:26 AM

That's a good video! Definitely trickier to get the kids under 8 going but you really notice how that girl is coming with her butt is still on the board. Thats the secret. Knees bent, arms straight, and don't stand up! If I get a kid standing up too fast and they won't listen I'll drag them longer to teach them to stay in that seated position. I tell them not to stand up even after they get up, I want to see them come out and still have their butts on the board.

As the driver some times it takes a second for me to get in sinc with the kids needs, too much drag or too little drag, too much throttle or too little throttle, then not enough throttle or too much once they're popping out. And they're all a little different so the process is a learning curve for all of us. It's gotten to the point that my wife who never boated before we were together can pick up on the sinc and rythim between boat/driver/rider and coach me up on what a kid needs. And when the child and I are both struggling I will come around apologizing and letting them know I will fix it and get them out, honestly I think it helps the kids seeing me putting some of the blame and pressure on me when we aren't immediately successful.

Connolly_Crew
05-12-2016, 12:02 PM
That's a good video! Definitely trickier to get the kids under 8 going but you really notice how that girl is coming with her butt is still on the board. Thats the secret. Knees bent, arms straight, and don't stand up! If I get a kid standing up too fast and they won't listen I'll drag them longer to teach them to stay in that seated position. I tell them not to stand up even after they get up, I want to see them come out and still have their butts on the board.

As the driver some times it takes a second for me to get in sinc with the kids needs, too much drag or too little drag, too much throttle or too little throttle, then not enough throttle or too much once they're popping out. And they're all a little different so the process is a learning curve for all of us. It's gotten to the point that my wife who never boated before we were together can pick up on the sinc and rythim between boat/driver/rider and coach me up on what a kid needs. And when the child and I are both struggling I will come around apologizing and letting them know I will fix it and get them out, honestly I think it helps the kids seeing me putting some of the blame and pressure on me when we aren't immediately successful.

Be patient, keep encouraging and make it fun and it will happen

trayson
05-12-2016, 12:17 PM
You should always have it on board, you never know when it will come on handy and I would hate to miss an opportunity to break it out.
75% of the time I load my boat with kids who are first timers and we strap the board on them and go. I should take more pics of a typical day on my boat, it's definitely not on your level as far as boat bun but I absolutely live for it.

Gotcha. Makes sense. for us, the 'mode' of boating really varies. With my foot still recovering from the ligament injury, this year's started out with a lot more 'party boating' than we've ever had before. Tonight the forecast is FINALLY for low wind so we're going out in sport mode with a full boat. All adults though. We tend to be in family mode when my son is here for his visits, which is not nearly as much as I'd like. If we had him 24/7, I'm sure we'd be out with him and other kids a ton more.

Wax
05-12-2016, 04:01 PM
My versa came in the other day too, it is ridiculously big. However, it's already serving it's purpose because now all the kids want to try it!

trayson
06-23-2016, 12:24 PM
My versa came in the other day too, it is ridiculously big. However, it's already serving it's purpose because now all the kids want to try it!

Hey Wax, I've had the versa out a couple of times. Honestly because it's so freaking heavy, I'm not a huge fan of bringing it, but we took it to the Wake the World event and it was nice to have there (another successful Wake the World without having to pull a tube! hahaha!). It goes up on our Cargo bimini, so that does limit us because typically when we're out on the water we put our custom (epoxy resin) surfboards up on there. As it is, we have 3 custom boards that are regularly out with us, so often one board gets left at home, and having 2 boards getting left behind in favor of the versa wouldn't be my preference. But it's still great to have the versa in the arsenal. (if the Zup boards weren't so ridiculously expensive, I'd probably prefer the Zup because their nicer one is compression molded and fits in a board rack and doesn't weigh a zillion pounds).

The one thing that's a little frustrating is that the rope keeper really only works well when there's tension on the rope. when we're loading kids that are young enough that putting the rope in the keeper themselves isn't realistic, we find that we're fighting the keeper. We've literally had to put someone on the swim platform and then before the rope backs off the keeper, we have to put the boat in gear and idle away while having someone keep tension on the rope until it's all the way out. I'd like to figure out something that will keep the rope handle in place better when there's no tension on the rope. Maybe something with Velcro or ????

We found the 'trick' to using the board was to make sure the kids slid all the way back on the board and kept the nose up when starting. Beyond that, it's been pretty straight forward. my buddy surfed it for kicks, and said that the fins don't do much. I haven't tried it myself yet.

But if you have any ideas on how to "upgrade" the rope keeper so that it actually holds the handle and doesn't let it slip backwards, I'd be down to hear it.

Wax
06-27-2016, 10:45 PM
Lol I feel your pain, we leave the nice epoxy boards (we have 4) on shore while with the kids on the versa. I know that's not possible all the time when not at your own lake though. The versa takes up a lot of space and it's heavy as crap.

The kids have loved it so far. 11yr old wakeboards on it, the others kneeboard or boogie board. Even my neighbor's 25yr old son tried it on his knees and has never once done a board sport, and he loved it.

I'm using an airhead rope with a grab handle, not the actual hydroslide versa handle. It seems slightly too big of a diameter, but it generally stays in place. It does help if somebody holds the rope and keeps tension, but we haven't had a big issue with it coming out.

I get my kids to balance on it while floating, then tell them to lean back a little when we go. If they are too far back they can't control it until the rope gets tight, small kids. So far only one submarine lol! Hooking to the tower helps prevent that, but I assume you're doing that.

So far it's been a big hit. I haven't ridden it yet but the kids love it which was the point!

I'm not sure what could be done, but velcro seems like a really good point to start.

CFD3Captain
06-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Glad the board is serving you guys well! I actually have mine in a rack. I'll link it below if I can find it online. It works really well. The board comes with us every time because my daughter loves it! I've had some fun on it too, put the fins in and go try some 360's :)

Here is the rack I am using with the versa. Fits perfect! http://www.diywake.com/illusion-x-and-moomba-oz-kneeboard-rack

Gqjeff
06-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Sounds crazy but I had my son practice his form on the wakeboard in the pool. I then pulled the rope and damn near got him up in our pool. After that we hit the lake and he was up his first time ever trying it.

Dandy21
06-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Great thread. I have been struggling to get my 12 year old and her friends to try much other than tubing. Just ordered the Versa and Rope. Hopefully it will get them to at least try something new. When I was her age, I would damn near try anything that I could.

The more excited I can get them about being on the water, the more time I will get to be as well.

Hopefully this works as well for us as it has for some of you.

Wax
06-28-2016, 11:07 PM
Dandy I bet they'll love it, it's just a fun all around board!

trayson
06-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Had a serious chat with my son. We're at the lake for a week. We brought his wakeboard and surfboard and left the versa home. Lol.

Maybe if I'd spent the extra money on the lighter compression molded zup, we would have brought it...

That said, with my setup now, I have 2 custom epoxy surf boards on the cargo Bimini, the wife and the son surf board in a tower rack, and my wakeboard and son's wakeboard filling the other. Slalom ski in the non Surfside locker. No more room for other boards without doubling up on the Bimini. And it's fantastic that all the gear stows away at night. 3 boards in port locker, 3 boards in center basement locker.

cpropes2005
06-30-2016, 08:45 AM
My kids are loving the Versa. It is still huge like others have said but it is better than the inflatable ski trainer setup we were taking with us last year. It actually fits in the stock surf racks with a short extension on the bungee.

I drilled a hole in the flip up rope holder so I could loop the tow rope through there for the really little kids. The video linked below is my daughter who just turned three. This was her first time out so we were going really slow but now we pull them all pretty close to surf speeds. I figure we will use it for this year as a good transition from the inflatable trainer and then next year see if they can progress to managing the handle on there own with a real surf or wake board.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yj1bshwqiw3s7b/2016-06-16%2017.41.39.mov?dl=0