PDA

View Full Version : Single or Tandem Axel???

Longshore
07-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Most of the lakes where I live (AZ) are within 1 hour of where I live and I plan to make a few long distant trips per year. Will a single axel trailer work for me? Are there any major disadvantages?

I'm also pretty close to the max tow weight on my vehicle. Does that have an effect on towing? Thanks for your help!

Livindadream
07-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Dual axle tows much better, but are a bitch to manuever by hand. If you tow long distance and have a nice big spot to put it in, dual. If you are going to have to put it in the garage and then jimmy it around at an angle to fit it in, go single.

YellowMoomba0
07-07-2006, 01:53 PM
I assume single axle is cheaper, I have single, then again I haggle at the dollar store.

EUSTACE
07-07-2006, 02:42 PM
An hour each way on any given lake trip and a few long distance trips a year,,, I’d say to go with the tandem axel trailer.

As stated earlier the single axels with maneuver easier with regards to manual moves, tight ramps and turn around areas. But the tandem will tow better down the road and give you a little piece of mind on those long hauls.

Good Luck, E

Sharru-Kinu
07-10-2006, 05:25 PM
eustace nailed it. the tandem trailer will give you a much better peace of mind. pulls much smoother on the local freeways, handles the bumps better, brakes better, and if it matters - it looks much better too.

if you haven't bought your boat yet and you want to jump in our LSV with us for an afternoon at Bartlett, PM me and we'll set it up.

lowdrag
07-11-2006, 01:24 AM
Tandem is the way to go IMO. The boat I have now weighs signicantly more than my last boat but you almost forget it's there with the tandem axle. Last boat had the single axle. If you're worried about weight, I think the tandem axle weighs about 200 or 300 pounds more than the single.

07-19-2006, 08:11 PM
I too have this question. Will it make taking long trips unbearable with a single. I will probably be towing mine around a 120 mile round trip 5 or 6 time a year and longer trips sometimes.

west25t
07-20-2006, 07:36 PM
I too have this question. I am close to my max weight also and I would like to stay with a single axle. I plan on towing a 120 mile round trip 5 or 6 times a year as well as longer trips on occasion, but most trips will be with 10 miles. Thanks for your help.

qb12
07-21-2006, 08:56 AM
West,

I towed my last boat with a single axle many times. The one thing I would recommend to all is to have a trailer spare tire.

db