PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak at clamp where exhaust meets intercooler.

johndeeremoomba69
04-30-2016, 10:06 PM
Hi everyone. I have a 2015 moomba with the 400hp indmar engine. Just the one season on it as was very happy with it. Noticed when I winterized it and the of the season overflow tank was slightly low. Could not see a leak anywhere and thought might have been just an air lock in system and had gone down a bit. Well took it out of shed and there was a puddle of coolant under engine. Well put my drain plugs in and brought to boat launch to run up to check for leaks. Added coolant warmed up engine and watched for leaks thinking it might just be a loose hose clamp. Eventually did find a small leak right where exhaust clamps to intercooler on R.H side of engine. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?

yukon2007
05-01-2016, 12:01 AM
Hmm interesting. Did you take it into the dealer when you noticed the coolant was low during winterizing? If so what did they say? I googled this and there are a few threads throughout the internet where this had happened to a few Indmar engines and it was a gasket. Keep us posted and post your findings from the dealer.

johndeeremoomba69
05-01-2016, 12:32 AM
Hmm interesting. Did you take it into the dealer when you noticed the coolant was low during winterizing? If so what did they say? I googled this and there are a few threads throughout the internet where this had happened to a few Indmar engines and it was a gasket. Keep us posted and post your findings from the dealer.

No did not take to the dealer when I noticed it was low. Did not visually see anynleaks and there was no coolant in engine bay. Thought it may be just a loose hose clamp when I ran it up in spring. Guess not. Water is to cold yet to go surfing ice just came off. Pretty confident dealer will take care of it.

Engine Nut
05-01-2016, 01:17 PM
Not sure exactly what you are referring to as an intercooler, your engine does not have an intercooler. Only the 575 supercharged engine has an intercooler. I think you may be referring to the joint where the exhaust manifold and the exhaust elbow that contains the catalytic converter come together. If that is the case, you need to get it checked because neither the exhaust manifold or the elbow should have anti-freeze in them. Both of those components are cooled with raw water.

johndeeremoomba69
05-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Not sure exactly what you are referring to as an intercooler, your engine does not have an intercooler. Only the 575 supercharged engine has an intercooler. I think you may be referring to the joint where the exhaust manifold and the exhaust elbow that contains the catalytic converter come together. If that is the case, you need to get it checked because neither the exhaust manifold or the elbow should have anti-freeze in them. Both of those components are cooled with raw water.

Ok you are correct. And yes that is the spot I am talking about where the two clamp together. When I put my finger tips around that clamp it is sticky and has that sweet smell. So it is definitely antifreeze. Not sure what's happing there then will bring into dealer and have them have a look at it.

johndeeremoomba69
05-01-2016, 02:17 PM

I tried to attach a picture went and looked at it again. There is a 1 inch elbow that screws into manifold just above that clamp. Either it is leaking from the threads. Tightened up clamp a bit going to go try run it up again at boat launch.

johndeeremoomba69
05-02-2016, 01:03 PM

I tried to attach a picture went and looked at it again. There is a 1 inch elbow that screws into manifold just above that clamp. Either it is leaking from the threads. Tightened up clamp a bit going to go try run it up again at boat launch.

So I tightened up that 1 inch clamp yesterday.Topped up coolant and ran boat up until it was warm. No more coolant leaks. Engine nut can you explain to me what that line is doing? It is not that long just goes from top of exhaust manifold around to exhaust pipe.

Engine Nut
05-02-2016, 05:26 PM
That line is how water leaves the exhaust manifold and goes into the exhaust elbow. The exhaust elbow is a double walled component so the water that exits the cooling jacket of the manifold flows through the exhaust elbow and catalytic converter to keep it cool. There shouldn't be any coolant in that hose ... just raw water.

johndeeremoomba69
05-02-2016, 09:17 PM
That line is how water leaves the exhaust manifold and goes into the exhaust elbow. The exhaust elbow is a double walled component so the water that exits the cooling jacket of the manifold flows through the exhaust elbow and catalytic converter to keep it cool. There shouldn't be any coolant in that hose ... just raw water.

Ok well I am confused on what to do. Talked to my dealer and explained what I did. They said that they have replaced those 90 degree plastic fittings with brass ones before have been know to leak once and awhile. I guarantee you there was coolant there. This is a closed cooling system. So if there isn't suppose to be coolant there and there is what has happened? Over flow tank is not going down anymore.

DOCDRS
05-02-2016, 11:05 PM
where are you from John deer? and do you have a saltwater engine? and why do you think you have a closed cooling system?

johndeeremoomba69
05-05-2016, 10:55 PM
where are you from John deer? and do you have a saltwater engine? and why do you think you have a closed cooling system?

Sask Canada. Saltwater engine?? Probably don't need one of those where I am.lol. And yes it is a closed cooling system with propolene glycol antifreeze I'm the cylinder block. And then cooled will water that comes from lake through heat exchanger.