PDA

View Full Version : Whip strut is this normal.

BrokeGuy
04-30-2016, 06:25 PM
I beleive we ran a rope over. I check the entire boat for evidence of running it over. This is all I seen. Is this normal?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160430/f883855f01c2344253b85d25941c7584.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160430/ad8af4b85d639d870ccf9392a29db373.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bergermaister
05-01-2016, 01:29 AM
Not normal. I've run over a few ropes in my day, the most fun being in the dark...

I'd suggest living with it and let it disentigrate on its own or hold a lighter up to it and melt or burn it out til gone.

DOCDRS
05-02-2016, 11:06 PM
you should check your prop shaft alignment

squeeg333
05-04-2016, 05:50 PM
I had a very similar issue on my last boat. 08 LSV - we were the second owner. I think it was the second year of owning it, and I noticed there seemed to be an odd purple-ish colored something up in the strut, where the bushings should be. I was used to, on other boats, seeing a black rubber, or a white plastic in this area (same area of your photo). I was concerned, so decided to replace the strut bushings with new ones. Well, come to find out the previous owner had run over at least one rope. The torque on the prop shaft is enough to wrap that rope tight enough to push the lower strut bushing up into the strut. So, what came out when I removed them was two bushings, and two perfectly round multi-colored hunks of plastic. These were what were left of the rope(s) that got run over by the previous owner.

If I were you, I'd pull the prop, prop shaft, and replace the bushings. Your lower bushing has been displaced from it's designed location, and is not providing the support that the end of the shaft wants. Will it function properly? Probably. But you may notice some new vibrations due to a lack of support at the prop end, or as Doug says above, you may be out of alignment.

Replacing the bushings is easy - the hardest part is getting the prop shaft out - there just isn't a lot of room to work in these boats. It will slide past the rudder - barely.

squeeg333
05-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Actually, on second look at the photo, I see the brass backing of the lower bushing. So your bushing hasn't moved. However, I don't see much of the rubber bushing itself. It looks like the rope may have chewed some of this rubber up.

Again, I'd recommend replacing those bushings, just to be safe. They are like $50 on skidim.