PDA

View Full Version : New Prop. Has Any XLV Owners Tried It Yet?

05mobiusxlv
07-07-2006, 02:16 AM
I currently have the OJ 13 pitch by 15.5 Wakeboard Prop. I kept hearing things about the new 14.25X14 LH XMP EDGE from OJ. I guess it came out early this year, and the people with big boats, and a lot of ballast are raving about it. I ordered one this afternoon. The salesman really talked this prop up. He said I will run 500 RPM's less @23 mph. (hopefully I can see some better fuel mileage) And the hole shot will put my old prop to shame.

Has anyone tried it yet??? The salesman said that it is going to be offered as optional equipment on a lot of the 23+foot wakeboard boats including the XLV next year.

The only thing I was worried about was revving it to high, but the salesman said it would not be an issue. I will get the prop Tuesday, and report back when I test it out.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1133&pagenumber=2&sort_on=&sort_ by=

SkiKY
07-07-2006, 02:09 PM
I just put a 13.7x19.5 XMJ on my Outback V to improve the slalom wake. That prop size of course wouldn't work for wakeboarding -let alone for weighted wakeboarding, but I wanted to point that the prop practically elimited the wake behind the boat at 34 mph. I don't talk tech with may wakeboarders but XMJ is renowed in slalom land for improving (shrinking) the wake.

When I bought the prop I asked the tech shop who is still buying the 3 blades. I was told that the 4 blade is great for hole shot and minimizing the wake behind the boat. The new larger 3 blades (like the new ACMEs) are almost as good at hole shot and will leave and larger wake once on plane.

Probably something to ask your salesman before purchasing.

JoeTechie
07-07-2006, 04:52 PM
So ? How much has the wake improved ???

Sounds like an interesting alternative.

-Joe

qb12
07-08-2006, 07:04 AM
I switched to tne new prop 14.25 X 14 and it has been amazing. Brian R recommened it to me with the ballast that I was running.

It may improve the wake some, but has much better hole shot and maintains speed much better.

db

AustinXLV
07-17-2006, 05:17 PM
I recently had a buddy bend my prop on a rock and am looking for a replacement. My dealer told me that I could not change the size without voiding my warranty. It sounds like that is not true. Should I go with the 14.25x14 and what is the best place to order one from.
Does anyone have a prop for sale?
Thanks.

qb12
07-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Voiding your warranty, heck the prop you are talking about is a option that is avail.

i checked around and the best price I could find was skidim.

AustinXLV
07-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Thats what I thought...Must of been talking to a rookie. One last question. Is there any reason I would need to take it to the dealer to have them install and check everything or should I just swap them? Thanks.

05mobiusxlv
07-18-2006, 10:48 AM
You can change it yourself in about 10 minutes if you have a puller. But if you hit that rock hard enough, you might have done other damage.

You can send your prop to OJ Propellers directly, and they will repair it, or if it's not repairable, they will give you a discount on a new prop for your old one.

I have used my boat with this prop a couple of times now, and I wish I would have had it last year. The hole shot is incredible, and like the salesman said, i run 500 less RPM's @ 23 mph.

AustinXLV
07-18-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm pretty sure they can't repair it. Its in bad shape! Guess I'll be without a boat this weekend. Thanks for all the help!

05mobiusxlv
07-23-2006, 02:42 AM
AustinXLV, if you send your old un-usable prop to Eric @ OJ props, he will sell you a new 4 blade for $350 shipped.

For anyone thinking of changing to this prop, I shut my perfect pass off to check what the top speed was with this prop. I had 3 people with, and no ballast, 34mph was the top speed. I could see my fuel gauge dropping, so I don't plan on ever doing that again.

Brian Raymond
07-25-2006, 11:46 PM
I have experienced alot of different prop. models and testing, but if you are carrying full ballast and crew (and maybe x-tra weight), the 14.25X14 (SC part #106069) is a awesome prop. The standard 13.7X17.5 is a well rounded prop. for novice riders, tubing and skiing. This prop. is great for out of the hole and maintaining constant speeds with an experienced rider. It does not bog the motor, and is well perceived on short courses. I can not honestly say if there is a mpg. difference that I have experienced, just the performance and feel. Brian Raymond.

AustinXLV
07-27-2006, 12:03 PM
I've tried talking to my dealer about this prop but they won't give me a solid answer on if it is ok for the warranty. Can someone from Skiers Choice or anyone else that knows please let me know if this prop will damage the engine in anyway. If there is no issue then I will be ordering from OJ props. Thanks.