PDA

View Full Version : Trailering with tarp on

mattsask
04-27-2016, 10:55 PM
Picked up my new craz today. Couldn't be happier with how the whole transaction went. As I was getting ready to leave the salesman informed me that trailering with the tarp on is a big no-no. He said it'll leave a white line around the boat over time. At this point my mind was blown, so I took his word for it and made the 300km drive home with the tarp off. I've been in and around boats for 20+ years and never ever trailers the boat without the tarp on.

I guess my question is, what do you guys do? Trailering with no tarp seems so bizarre to me. What if it starts raining, I'm not going to want to pull over to put the tarp on. Not to mention all the bugs that end up on the windshield.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Birdman
04-27-2016, 11:11 PM
bugs and rain are better than permanently scuffing your boat up

KG's Supra24
04-27-2016, 11:14 PM
Factory tarp leaves alot to be desired. I towed 4 hours home the other day uncovered to avoid the scuffs.

Places like evolution covers make covers designed to be trailered with better fabric

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
04-27-2016, 11:16 PM
It's a boat, getting rained on wont hurt it. Although I do hate the wet carpet.

Sent from my iPhone

DFTR Josh
04-28-2016, 12:10 AM
You have to plan aftermarket if you wanna tow with a cover on. Lots of people opt for snap on covers for travel. Their awesome but I hate the snap all screwed into the boat.

mattsask
04-28-2016, 12:15 AM
I guess my next question is, why the hell would they not supply you with a factory tarp that could be used while trailering? That just seems so senseless to me. What's the point in selling me a tarp if I have to buy another one anyway? I really wish I would have known this before...

jstenger
04-28-2016, 08:13 AM
I have trailered both my 2010 OBV and my 2014 LSV many many miles with the factory covers on with no issues or rub marks. I think the key is to get the perimeter rachet strap as tight as possible. It really draws the cover down and tight below the rub rail.

13mobiusLSV
04-28-2016, 09:05 AM
I have trailered both my 2010 OBV and my 2014 LSV many many miles with the factory covers on with no issues or rub marks. I think the key is to get the perimeter rachet strap as tight as possible. It really draws the cover down and tight below the rub rail.

+1

I tow around 5k a year and have had no issues.

mattsask
04-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Dealer was super helpful and suggested that I make a couple laps around the rub rail with packing grade suran wrap to avoid any marks. I've got some at home so I'll do that this season. It was a long haul yesterday, the whole tarp issue at the end of the day was just a bit overwhelming.

sivs1
04-28-2016, 10:11 AM
Almost always tow with cover on, mine is a snap cover so a little different

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
04-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Are ya'll using the poles while trailering with cover on?

07STI
04-28-2016, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Dealer was super helpful and suggested that I make a couple laps around the rub rail with packing grade suran wrap to avoid any marks. I've got some at home so I'll do that this season. It was a long haul yesterday, the whole tarp issue at the end of the day was just a bit overwhelming.

I get that. It's a big day picking up a brand new boat and hearing that you're not supposed to travel with the cover on is counterintuitive. My dealer told me the same thing. Glad you made it home safely and without any issues!

I've trailered with the cover on without issues, but I've only done it a couple of times.

trayson
04-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Are ya'll using the poles while trailering with cover on?

Yep. Mine is the factory Moomba cover made by Great Lakes Boat tops. It gets tight as **** and my boat was towed from Indiana to WA without issue. It was pretty nice to have a DRY boat at the end of that rainy trip.

I would imagine that you'll get opinions that are split 50/50 on this. Find out if your top is still made by Great Lakes Boat Top (like mine was, they make them for most the boat manufacturuers) and see their take.

It doesn't surprise me that a dealer would say no, because they're more likely to have pushback if they say "yes" and something goes amiss. so they're probably covering their butts.

parrothd
04-28-2016, 07:44 PM
You have to put the cover on correctly.. I always trailer with a cover on, you have to make sure it's tight so it doesn't flap around edges and rub the gel coat, I remove the poles.

Most importantly you have to protect the boat from the straps, if they're not on right they'll flap and leave black marks on the hull. I use strap covers or if you place them in the right spot they won't rub..

The dealer is just protecting their butts, someone will buy a black boat and anything touching it will leave marks..

deckwork
04-28-2016, 08:26 PM
I just picked up our craz a couple of weeks ago and was blown away when I was told the same thing, basically told the salesman that he could just keep the cover and give me a credit back for it but just ended up with him giving me a role of shrink wrap, cause yeh like I want to have to wrap the boat each time I use it. But I am really concerned about seats flying out as i am going down the highway and the liability behind that.

DFTR Josh
04-28-2016, 10:56 PM
But I am really concerned about seats flying out as i am going down the highway and the liability behind that.
I would only be concerned with the bow filler. My old boat almost flew out so I now take the filler out and put it under the helm and hold it down with the booster. Everything else is snug and did 12 hours towing with no problems. I also use the wind dam to keep most of the wind out of the main cabin, or I think it does.

parrothd
04-28-2016, 11:02 PM
Last time I towed without my cover I watched my rear bench seat, the big heavy one that covers the bilge, fly up 2 ft do a 180 then landed back inside the boat.

mmandley
04-29-2016, 04:26 AM
All of Moomba covers are considered Mooring covers not tow covers.

They are designed to protect against rain when the boat is parked.

The covers are made from lightweight material.

Now this doesn't mean you can't tow, but they aren't designed to be used as a towing cover.

I had my 08 and towed it all the time with the cover on and never an issue.

With my Mojo it came with a slightly heavier cover and I towed 50 miles hone and my gunnels and nose were scratched from it. It's just due to rubbing from the wind. The cover survived fine.

So I invested in a proper towing cover from Evolution. After my dealer credit for the factory cover I was only out a few Hundo more.

Now the Evolution cover is designed for towing and protecting your boat in dry ahs light rain. It doesn't have air vents and will pool water at times.

But all in all it's worth every dollar because I tow my boat 5k on average each year and I always use the cover unless it's in town right to the lake.

kaneboats
04-29-2016, 11:05 AM
I asked a bunch of guys on here a few years back about towing with the snap covers on. They all agreed it was fine-- although the CYA dealers will tell you it is not designed for towing. Worked perfectly. I left the poles in. Mind you I only tow with the cover back and forth 4 hrs. ea way once a year for vacation. there is one snap on the bow cover that always comes undone but no biggy.