PDA

View Full Version : Wakeplate Piston Leak

bkearney
04-26-2016, 09:20 PM
We did a shake down cruise tonite, and everything was going great until we pulled in back onto the trailer. My daughter went to pull the plug, and she chirped "The boat bled on me". Red hydraulic fluid was coming from the top of one piston when the wake plate was moved. Is this a "buy a new piston" event, or is there an oring or seal I can disassmble and fix?

Thanks in advance!

-- bk

brain_rinse
04-26-2016, 09:25 PM
This is a new o ring event. Contact Bennett trim tabs and they will get you the parts and instructions you need.

5:00
04-27-2016, 10:40 AM
I replaced mine two years ago and Bennett didn't even charge for the kit or shipping! Great people to deal with.
Be careful though. They provide a white clip to space the piston just right. Mine shot off like a bullet, out of the garage door, never to be seen again. Watch your eyes with that thing.
Also watch the wire for the indicator coil. It is is tiny and really easy to break. Trust me I unfortunately know from experience.

bkearney
04-27-2016, 11:05 AM
I just got off the phone and had the same experience. They were great to chat with and they are sending out the parts. Where does the clip go? I am looking at

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Actuator_breakdown_and_options.pdf

and he suggested that I do the following:
1) Raise the wakeplate all the way up
2) unscrew the actuator from the transom (part 1 I assume)
3) Disconnect the hose (part 17 I assume)
4) replace the two o rings
5) Put it all back together

Where is the wire you were concerned about?

-- bk

VA LSV
04-27-2016, 11:06 AM
Bennett sent me repair parts at no charge as well. Be aware there is a very strong spring inside the actuator so follow the instructions carefully.

5:00
04-27-2016, 05:08 PM
It is all in the instructions that come with it. The spring is a killer as mentioned above. When you feel tension on anything or are taking things apart keep pressure on it. The plastic clip goes on the part that goes between the cylinder and the transom bracket at the top. I was able to do it without it but was a real pain.
The wire is for the indicator display at the helm that shows the wake plate position. It is the same wire as the coil. The coil wires are a fraction of a millimeter and fragile. It happens when you unscrew the top of the cylinder and just pull it off. Don't pull it out quickly once you have unscrewed the top of the cylinder. They don't mention it in the instructions unfortunately. Some actuators have it and some don't. If you have two only one will have it. For me in was on the starboard side I believe.
Just do everything slowly.

bkearney
05-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Looks like the plastic cylinder is cracked at the top. I am gonna ask where I can get part for that. Also.. we broke the little wire. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

-- bk

brain_rinse
05-01-2016, 08:58 PM
I don't think there is any better source than Bennett directly

bkearney
05-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Part is a custom part, so I needed to call SC to get it. For those who also have a 2003 LSV, the starboard actuator is part number 104329.