PDA

View Full Version : Lunging after FAE

jelmhorst
04-26-2016, 07:18 AM
Good morning all,
I put on the FAE after the group buy in September-ish and had the normal break in period without issue. I bought it for the engine sound reducing qualities and love it. I noticed after the break in and then again yesterday after putting in for the first time this year that the boat is lunging when on plane, talking almost 3mph bump or drop. I do not have perfect pass. Has anyone else had this issue or recommend how best to rectify this? Stock prop, no weight. Thanks!

brain_rinse
04-26-2016, 10:16 AM
When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter?

mmandley
04-26-2016, 10:48 AM
It's not the FAE, remove it and your problem will still be there.

Lunging as your calling it is the same as surging, fuel filter, bad fuel, plugs, wires, rotor, could all be a cause.

I would start with a fuel filter, add octane booster or fuel injector cleaner to your tank.
Run that threw a few hours ahs your problem should go away.

If not then look at a full tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

Let is know how it works out

jelmhorst
04-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Boat is 281 hours so likely it hasn't been done before, I bought at 170 hours. I bought a fuel filter and new plugs to put in before the season but hadn't gotten around to it, but I will certainly make that a priority now. I put in 87 non-ethanol and stabil at end of season so having sat for the last 6 months I'm sure that hasn't helped. I'll add some booster this batch and then a cleaner next and look to get that filter replaced. Thank you both!

cornrickey
04-26-2016, 10:01 PM
Break in period?

JD14Mondo
04-26-2016, 10:42 PM
Does your boat use a paddle wheel? My paddle wheel went out and it did some crazy things before it quit completely.

MJHSupra
04-26-2016, 11:17 PM
What is the break-in period?

jelmhorst
04-27-2016, 08:04 AM
MJHSupra, the FAE break-in period is like the first hour or two you are keeping it below 15mph to allow the rubber to seal up and mold with the hose clamps from the heat from the exhaust. After that you can open it up and run with more throttle.

JD14Mondo I think my boat does use the paddlewheel so I'll certainly pay close attention to that after I swap out those other components, see if that could be contributing. Thanks for the recommendation.

mmandley
04-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Learn something new, didn't know FEA had a break in period. I installed mine and gave it hell.

Pretty much like my Mojo engine, it's been surfing since 2hrs lol

Granted I would have done the engine brake in but since Shane Stillman had the boat for the first 2hrs I had no control, we surfed it from 2-5hrs then bought it, been surfin ever since lol

MJHSupra
04-27-2016, 05:51 PM
MJHSupra, the FAE break-in period is like the first hour or two you are keeping it below 15mph to allow the rubber to seal up and mold with the hose clamps from the heat from the exhaust. After that you can open it up and run with more throttle.

JD14Mondo I think my boat does use the paddlewheel so I'll certainly pay close attention to that after I swap out those other components, see if that could be contributing. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks. I did not know that. I do not have one on my boat, but everyone I know that does, just installed the FAE and took off running.