PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Power

Longshore
07-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi,

I'm wanting to buy a 2006 Outback V for my first boat. I have a 2006 Nissan Xterra with a V6 and a 5,000 lbs tow rate. Is that enough to pull that boat? Please help. Thanks!

Buttafewcoe
07-07-2006, 08:00 AM
I pull with a V-6 Sport Trac. It's got a 5500# tow rating so I would think you'd be ok. I don't think I'd want to tow with anything less than a 5000# rating
Hope this helps
B

YellowMoomba0
07-07-2006, 08:36 AM
I pull an 04 Outback with a 01 4 Runner, not sure of the rating but I have the 187 hp v6, works fine.

Longshore
07-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys!

Do you recommend the single or tandem axle trailer? Most of the lakes around here (AZ) are with 1 hour but plan to do a few long distance trips per year (ie..lake powell, etc.).

JoeTechie
07-07-2006, 10:52 AM
This just had a very good discussion :

http://www.moomba.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2949

Hope this helps,

Joe

Buttafewcoe
07-08-2006, 07:16 AM
Also, check TrailerBoats.com's database on tow vehicles.
http://www.trailerboats.com/towrating/
You should be able to find out about your current (or future) tow vehilce.
Hope this helps
B

Jonathan
07-20-2006, 10:29 AM
I also have a Nissan Xterra...2005 not 2006, but basically the same thing. I have no problem yanking my 06 Outback around. Driving down the interstate it doesn't do as well as I'd like for long periods of time...you will know it is back there, but in and out of the water I never put it in 4-wheel drive.

Nice choice of toys though!!:)

JoeTechie
07-20-2006, 10:50 AM
but in and out of the water I never put it in 4-wheel drive

Why not ? Is it that much of a hastle ? I would think the extra piece of mind is worth a few min each time you launch and load.

Curious,

Joe

Smrtz
07-20-2006, 12:39 PM
You know thats funny, I have looked around .. thinking about replacing my 2000 Jeep grand cherokee V8 with something but assumed that I needed the 8 cylinder to pull my outback. I had a much smaller boat and a 6 cylinder GMC Jimmy and smoked 2 trannys in it I assumed it was from pulling.

I guess the other concern is if I upgrade to the V would the weight be much different.

canuckskier
07-20-2006, 01:25 PM
If You are getting the Outback or Outback V I would save the gas money and get a single-axle trailer. I have an '06 Outback, and just returned from our cabin 2000miles from home. The trailer pulled great. By the way, I have a '04 Chevy 1/2 ton with the Z71 towing package, and of course a V8. I'm buying a diesel this fall. If you are hauling anywhere over 60 miles You will probably prematurely wear out your transmission, especially if there are any hills. Headwinds make a very surprising difference as well.

My 2cents. Towing capacity listed on vehicle (mine by the way is 9500lbs) is to sell that it CAN be done. Whether it SHOULD be done is another matter. I'd rather have an overpowered vehicle underworking, than just enough power working it's a** off.

p.s. Wife isn't very happy new boat has resulted in need for bigger truck. Kitchen renovations on hold for one more year!

Smrtz
07-20-2006, 02:10 PM
You gotta agree with the Canuck!

Friend of mine races horses and told me to get smart and get diesel.
Im starting to think that may be the way to go especially with the way gas prices are going. if you can get that tourag with diesel that would be a great combo. VW engines get great gas mileage!

BaileyAZ
07-21-2006, 10:55 PM
2005 Honda Pilot w/ V6 and AWD. It works...good thing it is a lease!!! Otherwise, I would be buying a new truck with a V8!!!

BensonWdby
08-01-2006, 12:42 AM
I agree with the dangers of pulling boats with v-6 related to transmissions. I used a Grand Caravan with heavy duty towing package and 3.8L v6 for a much lighter boat than my Mobius and went through 3 transmissions. Granted these rigs were known for tranny issues, but I think towing played a big part.

I currently have a 2001 Durango with 4.9L V8. Not impressed with that either. Gets lousy mileage in general and horrible when towing. But does get out of all launches, including dirt. Tracks ok down the road but stuggles up hill.

Dave

gotmyboat
08-01-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm still driving my 2000 Ford Expedition w/ 5.4L V8. It is at 100K and pulls like a mule. Mileage is lousy, but everything is a trade-off. The rig is much heavier than the boat, so it pulls it along without any drama.

Dave

NCSUmoomba
08-01-2006, 12:21 PM
One thing to be aware of is the weight of the tow vehicle. If your tow vehicle is close to or less than the weight of the boat, then it can easily drag you down the ramp, which can be pretty scary, even though it will stop when then boat hits the water and the load lightens. My 2001 Outback DD drug my 1989 Ford Ranger 2.9V6 4x4 down the ramp the other weekend, and my heart stopped. As far as towing, my truck does decent. It has 3.73 gears, but I have a lift kit and 32" tires on it, which equates to having 3.25 gears. It is also a five speed and I have to wind up the gears to get it moving, and uphills I am in third with my foot to the floor and still slowing down usually. But it is nice being able to downshift to help me slow down if I need to. Now pulling the boat out is a different story. After my first time, I learned that I HAVE to put it in 4x4 Low Range to get it up the ramp, but it jerks it out with no problem whatsoever. I laughed the other day because a guy was pulling hi Wakesetter VLX out with hi Z66 Avalanche and could barely get up the ramp he was spinning so much. I was right near him, adn snatched my Outback out with my little Ranger, although I know his boat is heavier than mine. So my truck gets the job done, but I would not recommend it to anyone, and as soon as the season is over (if not sooner) I will be putting it up for sale, and buying a fullsize something, probably an Expedition. I would prefer a SuperCrew, but looking at the prices of a 2001-2002 SuperCrew 4x4 vs. an 2001-2002 Expedition 4x4, the Expedition can be $2000-$3000 less expensive, which can buy me A LOT of gas.

-Brian

NCSUmoomba
08-05-2006, 10:17 AM
So yeah, I think I jinxed myself with my reply. Yeasterday, as I was pulling into the entrance to the boat ramp, as I depressed the clutch pedal, I felt kind of a pop, and the peadal went straight to the floor. Luckily, a friend was going riding with us that had a full size van and he could slide the boat in & out of the water for us. I ended up having to borrow my father's truck to tow the boat home and waiting two hours for AAA to send a tow truck out for my Ranger. My Dad has a F250 Super Duty with the 7.3 Powerstroke in it and all I can say is wow. I had to pull the boat about 25 miles to get it home, and I literally could not tell that I was pulling anything. It was sooo nice. So I would say that for folks that tow their boat any distances and go to riding frequestly, like at least 2-3 times a week, then a diesel is the way to go. I just wish I could afford to buy one.