PDA

View Full Version : Mandley Moves to the South and My Exile Speakers Get Stolen

mazzyel2162
04-19-2016, 08:47 AM
Coincidence? I'm not so sure.

I'm definitely going with the Exile surf speakers again (this time with quick disconnects) , but doing a little research on tower speakers - I became curious...

Does any other brand of speaker also have the quick disconnect feature?

MLA
04-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Does any other brand of speaker also have the quick disconnect feature?

All the Wet Sounds tower pods are available with the TC3-S swivel clamp. The Icon-8S would be the comparable 8" coaxial to the 8" exile coaxial. The "S" denotes the swivel/disconnect clamp. This feature also allows for the optional LED speaker ring leads to pass through the clamp along with the speaker leads. All wires hidden and the pod retains its swivel and disconnect function. Rather than a plated phone jack with a small spring loaded tab making wearable contact, the Wet Sounds TC3-S system uses a 6 pin male and female connector setup. Actual male and female terminals are mated when the pod is assembled with the clamp. No movement between the terminals or connector halves. The clamp and pod are allowed to swivel while the connector assembly stays intact.

The pod it held to the clamp with a locking fork retainer, which is then threaded into the clamp body. The safety bolt has a nylon nut that prevents the safety bolt from loosening on its own. Even after the bolt is un-threaded, the retaining fork bears the load. Pod wont come down until the fork is pulled.

There are plastic caps included that cover the tower side of the clamp for when the pods are removed. This prevent connector damage and keeps out the dirt dobbers.

Although an allan tool is required, it only takes about 30 seconds to remove a pod.

viking
04-19-2016, 09:41 AM
WS makes a swivel mount that has a quick disconnect. Has a key with allen screw that you loosen and pull.

WHOOPS...........beat out by MLA - LOL

mikenehrkorn
04-19-2016, 09:59 AM
Ouch.....welcome to the neighborhood!! :(

jmvotto
04-19-2016, 10:14 AM
I thought you sold the OBV

DFTR Josh
04-19-2016, 10:16 AM
Somebody took the time to unbolt all your clamps, is it just 1 bolt and the clamp comes off?

mazzyel2162
04-19-2016, 10:27 AM
Joe - when the offers started coming in, the wife changed her mind and wouldn't allow me to sell the Outback. Then she made me buy a new tow vehicle....2016 Tacoma dual cab 4x4.

Josh - the thieves were very meticulous. They managed to get the speakers off without ever touching the boat cover. I believe they climbed the tower.

They had to have wrenches with them - 2 bolts on each clamp. However, they removed the washers and nuts from the bottom of the clamp, didn't take the top of the clamp off and then snapped the speakers off of the mounting plate that screws into the collar with 4 screws. They even took the time to police the area, removing all traces of broken plastic - except for one tiny piece.

Thank dog for insurance!

mmandley
04-19-2016, 10:39 AM
Yea I move to your local area and theft rises on the brand I already have lol

Sorry to hear about the loss of equipment man.

Looks like your going to have to upgrade either way you go as exile doesn't sell xm7s any longer.

I have to say it still makes me laugh each time I hear someone say the XM9s are really closer to an 8.

If you remove the Exile grill and measure the speaker, it's less then 9, I think it's closer to 8.75 or something like that.
But guess what, remove the grill on the speakers your comparing this too, and they measure .25 under what they claim to be as well.

No different then measuring the 6.5 mid bass and guess what, it's not actually 6.5 either.
Not trying to start an argument but let's be honest and not make such assumptions.

mazzyel2162
04-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Mike I had the surf speakers - the SXT65's. Upgrade? Ohhhh man, too bad :) insurance $$ gonna take care of that.

David Analog
04-19-2016, 12:16 PM
Quote by mmandley,
"I have to say it still makes me laugh each time I hear someone say the XM9s are really closer to an 8.
If you remove the Exile grill and measure the speaker, it's less then 9, I think it's closer to 8.75 or something like that.
But guess what, remove the grill on the speakers your comparing this too, and they measure .25 under what they claim to be as well."

This is important when comparing brand to brand. The way in which the speaker/audio industry classifies speaker size is by the 'Sd', or surface area. This is derived from taking a measurement from the peak/center of the surround to the peak/center of the surround. There is no other method of determining a speaker's size within the industry unless you start making up your own standards for marketing purposes. So take that diameter by 1/2 to get the radius, multiply the radius by radius, and multiply that product by 3.14 (Pi) to get the 'Sd'. Any speaker classification will have some deviations within that size. But to claim you have a 9" speaker, the diameter must be 1" greater than the class standard. That's not the case. Not even close. In fact, there are many speakers by respected domestic and euro manufacturers that have a larger 'Sd' than the Exile "9" products, and they are classified as an 8" speaker.
If we are directly comparing the Wetsounds 8" to the Exile 8", the Exile has a 5/16" larger surround peak to peak measurement, the difference of a #2 pencil diameter. That's not a 1" difference. They are both 8" speakers.
Just keeping it real according to the facts.

David Analog
04-19-2016, 12:22 PM
So Mike, since you have XM9s, remove the grill, drop a tape measure down into the bezel and take an accurate measurement from the surround peak (center) on one side to the surround peak (center) on the other side. You find a diameter of just a hair less than 7". That's the only number that matters.

MLA
04-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Yea I move to your local area and theft rises on the brand I already have lol

Sorry to hear about the loss of equipment man.

Looks like your going to have to upgrade either way you go as exile doesn't sell xm7s any longer.

I have to say it still makes me laugh each time I hear someone say the XM9s are really closer to an 8.

But guess what, remove the grill on the speakers your comparing this too, and they measure .25 under what they claim to be as well.

No different then measuring the 6.5 mid bass and guess what, it's not actually 6.5 either.
Not trying to start an argument but let's be honest and not make such assumptions.

Not making any assumption. Hows this for accuracy? Rev-8 and xm9. Both are an 8" speaker with the xm-9 only being slightly larger than the rev-8. Again, both are an 8" speaker. The xm9 is in no way shape or form, a 9" speaker. Where you and your info supplier are incorrect, is comparing the OD of the basket and taking it as the rule. What is pictured below, is what counts in terms of output and you see how close they are. These two dimensions is what puts BOTH these speakers in the 8" speaker group.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/mikesliquidaudio/xm9_zpshtc7op1v.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/mikesliquidaudio/media/xm9_zpshtc7op1v.jpg.html)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/mikesliquidaudio/rev8_zpsxxoc7h2g.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/mikesliquidaudio/media/rev8_zpsxxoc7h2g.jpg.html)

smorris7
04-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Well that solves it! Never buy wet sounds again. That exile dwarfs it! GO TEAM EXILE. Got Tunes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smorris7
04-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Sorry guys. Just couldn't help myself. This discussion never gets old. 😜

mazzyel2162
04-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Well since you got your peter meter and camera out - how about shooting some pix to show the difference in the quick mounting clamps....which is the original object of this thread.

nitrodude24
04-19-2016, 01:33 PM
I ve had both and not bashing any brand but the wetsounds swivel is greatly to superior to exiles quick disconnect. Hence the price alone on the wetsounds is 299.99 for just clamps. The connections and options for rgb leds and such effect the price but in general the design and function is the best. Again not bashing the exile works great just not like the wetsounds does. They both are good products just having had both I like the wetsounds clamp, wiring connection system better

KG's Supra24
04-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Wetsounds 6 pin connector previously mentioned ...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/ee4d9d74b9ec1c37608a86203db5752f.jpg

Wetsounds has a pretty good example on their website. Here is the tube tower from their site ..

https://wetsounds.com/media/products/TC3/images/animation03.gif

https://wetsounds.com/media/products/TC3/images/animation03.gif

Check out their website

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

David Analog
04-19-2016, 05:12 PM
That's a great photo and video of the Wetsounds collar components. I'm not sure it tells the whole story.
Before I was in the audio industry, now retired for 3 years, I was a draftsman for electronic, pneumatic & hydraulic control systems for GM production lines. Not me, but the firm I worked for, did mechanical design work for many other huge industry leaders. So I was exposed to a lot of amazing engineering from military to aircraft to automotive, etc.
When I first saw the Wetsounds collar I was absolutely impressed. I knew instantly that they had paid through the nose for the design work and tooling that went into their collar. Here a few of the inherent benefits.
The electrical connectors make 100% surface contact just like a professional Speakon or Neutrik disconnect. Like the ones you would see on the floor of a huge concert production. Less resistance, less corrosion and more current transfer. Another great benefit is that the connector fittings are completely serviceable and replaceable on both the speaker and collar side. So if some extremely careless and clumsy person jams things together and creates damage to the contacts the fix is easy and super cheap.
With the stainless steel fork and nylon retainer this is the safest collar in existence. Does it take a few extra seconds to R&R? Sure, using an allen wrench versus a thumb bolt obviously takes a few extra seconds. But it swivels, disconnects and does everything it needs to do without risk of failure, and without erosion of the contacts from vibration-induced wear.
Does it cost more than other options? Sure. It should cost more based on the extra quality and value that it delivers.

MLA
04-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Just for fun, I measured the Rev-11, its basket OD is 10-1/8.

russellsmojo
04-19-2016, 07:11 PM
CVS or Walgreens. I just cannot decide who to buy my Vaseline from?
Exile or Wet Sounds. Buy what you like and like what you buy.

beat taco
04-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Just for fun, I measured the Rev-11, its basket OD is 10-1/8.
What a rip off

mazzyel2162
04-20-2016, 05:29 AM
David.....by any chance when you were a designer/draftsman - did you happen to work for an English owned company that had bought out a Florida company called S & H Fabrication & Engineering that was moved to Detroit?

I did the same work in Sanford, Fl.

moombadaze
04-20-2016, 07:23 AM
don't get on her much now, but dam, why do these audio conversations always turn into a Wakeworld pissing contest. Guy asks a simple question--answer the simple frickin question with a simple fricken answer, is it so hard to do?

sandm
04-20-2016, 08:15 AM
wow Daze... dropping the f-bomb so early :)

ok.. so here's the answer to the f'n question...

russell, always buy your vaseline from Walmart. they have perfected the right base of petroleum jelly to fillers to ensure you never know you're getting screwed by the supposed always lowest price :)

moombadaze
04-20-2016, 08:30 AM
wow Daze... dropping the f-bomb so early :)

ok.. so here's the answer to the f'n question...

russell, always buy your vaseline from Walmart. they have perfected the right base of petroleum jelly to fillers to ensure you never know you're getting screwed by the supposed always lowest price :)

sorry about those f-bombs, corrected it a little, guess I am just tired of the size comparisons these always turn into

David Analog
04-20-2016, 08:41 AM
David.....by any chance when you were a designer/draftsman - did you happen to work for an English owned company that had bought out a Florida company called S & H Fabrication & Engineering that was moved to Detroit?
I did the same work in Sanford, Fl.

Nope. Different firm in Dayton, Ohio. Fresh out of high school. I was a draftsman, not yet a designer.

mazzyel2162
04-20-2016, 09:58 AM
Isaacs on east fourth Street?

David Analog
04-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Isaacs on east fourth Street?

Been gone from Dayton for a very long time. I only go back for Marion's pizza, the best! PM sent.

sandm
04-20-2016, 11:15 AM
sorry about those f-bombs, corrected it a little, guess I am just tired of the size comparisons these always turn into

do agree with you. let the manufacturers call a speaker, amp, widget- whatever you want. let the consumer make the decision and do the research. it's all over the audio industry with products showing different specs than they actually put out and all parties sell them.

MLA
04-20-2016, 12:43 PM
do agree with you. let the manufacturers call a speaker, amp, widget- whatever you want. let the consumer make the decision and do the research. it's all over the audio industry with products showing different specs than they actually put out and all parties sell them.

The consumer is doing the research, right here in this this thread. The issue is when the manufacture reps want to dispute facts that dont shine a favorable light on their product. They want to continue the deception and feel the need to make it personal, rather than stick to the discussion of products and facts.

How would the reaction be on this very forum, if Moomba's 22ft boat was really 19.5ft. it was found that their 3000 lb top tier ballast was really closer to 1800. The engine HP was 100 less than advertised. Their advertised 20 oz carpet was 16 oz, composite stringers were wood.

Take your pick? Would you as owner still be happy or content to know you paid for something you didnt get? I wouldnt think so.

mazzyel2162
04-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Just as an update, just ordered the Exile 29 1/2" surf speakers from Brian.

smorris7
04-20-2016, 01:11 PM
You will not be disappointed.

moombadaze
04-20-2016, 02:13 PM
you'll be very happy with them, and that's all that matters

mazzyel2162
04-20-2016, 02:26 PM
thanks guys. I'm sure they are an upgrade from the SXT65's that were pilfered.

I'm just worried that at 29 1/2" I may be smacking my head now and then

Brianinpdx
04-21-2016, 11:50 AM
I can personally vouch for Mandley yesterday. He was kind enough to spend some time with me and help me dial in my surf wave with 300 lbs of lead (as seen below). He kinda does have a thief look on his face though!!

And as for all this of speaker model numbers and this and that filled with pictures..... I'll offer you all this photo (below). Spend time on the water enjoying your boat(s). It makes for great times. Give the speaker size stuff a rest gents.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k491/brianinpdx/Screen%20Shot%202016-04-21%20at%208.41.48%20AM_zpsxnmqse7j.png (http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/brianinpdx/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-04-21%20at%208.41.48%20AM_zpsxnmqse7j.png.html)

mmandley
04-21-2016, 11:59 AM
It was a pleasure to be out and help you get it dialed in. Never mind those two missing 9s on the tower. Or should I call them 8s?

beat taco
04-21-2016, 12:10 PM
It was a pleasure to be out and help you get it dialed in. Never mind those two missing 9s on the tower. Or should I call them 8s?
They're close enough to 9" you can tell by how loud they scream

smorris7
04-21-2016, 12:52 PM
Boat looks fantastic Brian! Glad to see you taking some time to use it!

moombadaze
04-21-2016, 02:34 PM
And as for all this of speaker model numbers and this and that filled with pictures..... I'll offer you all this photo (below). Spend time on the water enjoying your boat(s). It makes for great times. Give the speaker size stuff a rest gents.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k491/brianinpdx/Screen%20Shot%202016-04-21%20at%208.41.48%20AM_zpsxnmqse7j.png (http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/brianinpdx/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-04-21%20at%208.41.48%20AM_zpsxnmqse7j.png.html)

and that is what it is all about !

kaneboats
04-21-2016, 10:13 PM
Love the custom X turf on the bow, Brian. Who did that for you?

beat taco
04-21-2016, 10:21 PM
Love the custom X turf on the bow, Brian. Who did that for you?
Gator Step. I know I'm not Brian but here to help lol

mazzyel2162
04-22-2016, 07:27 AM
not sayin' it is, but it looks exactly like the faux teak swim platform pad I have from SeaDek

dusty2221
04-22-2016, 07:41 AM
Brians boat is gatorstep all the way thru, it's great stuff!

mmandley
04-22-2016, 10:42 AM
Yup his boat is covered in Gator Step, Swim deck, gunnels, floor, bow.

I was surprised its not as soft as SeaDec but its still got a soft feel under your feet to it. I can't say how it will be in the sun yet as it was sunny but not sunny enough to make things hot to the touch.

It does look really clean and nice with it though.

Brianinpdx
04-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Gator---- that stuff is so cool. I went over the top with it. They let me design my own deck...

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k491/brianinpdx/Screen%20Shot%202016-01-12%20at%204.50.40%20PM_zpsrcordepg.png (http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/brianinpdx/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-01-12%20at%204.50.40%20PM_zpsrcordepg.png.html)

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k491/brianinpdx/Screen%20Shot%202016-01-12%20at%204.52.56%20PM_zpsvduoath1.png (http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/brianinpdx/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-01-12%20at%204.52.56%20PM_zpsvduoath1.png.html)

They even did some cool dash inserts for me.

Probably the coolest part of the boat is all the gator deck in it.

Connolly_Crew
04-23-2016, 04:58 PM
After all this criminal talk I may rescind my offer to have Mike on my boat when he gets to his new home!!! 樂

mmandley
04-24-2016, 01:00 PM
After all this criminal talk I may rescind my offer to have Mike on my boat when he gets to his new home!!! ��

HAHAHA smooth criminal

Connolly_Crew
04-24-2016, 05:38 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160424/9cfa8ad1557f3955e72ea5f9cf085fa5.jpg
Wetsuit weather gone! Even the kids are in the water!

ghebert1111
04-24-2016, 07:13 PM
Wetsuit weather gone! Even the kids are in the water!

Are you from Canada? I thought I noticed a Canadian accent coming from your amps on my boat.

mmandley
04-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Thats pretty Awesome, I will be in GA May 7th through 11th poking around, better keep them boats locked up LOL

DFTR Josh
04-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Is that pictures of a MB on a Moomba forum? From what I read it's frowned upon and will be deleted, LMAO...

viking
04-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Is that pictures of a MB on a Moomba forum? From what I read it's frowned upon and will be deleted, LMAO...

LOL.......ya I think I remember a mention in another thread a threat of deleting any "other brand" pictures. Good one DTRF

mmandley
04-25-2016, 04:40 PM
Haha yea I've seen those before too, maybe since it's not in a competitive, or comparative thread it's ok.

Connolly_Crew
04-25-2016, 10:11 PM

I see your point, was just sharing a pic of my family enjoying a day At the lake with my wakeboat brethren. I have owned SC but currently do not. My next prob will get me back In the SC fam. I think I even know from whom I may one day buy my slightly loved boat from! 😉

I believe if someone were promoting another brand it would get zapped quickly. I also believe and know here are a few active members that do not currently own SC products but really enjoy the comradery on this board. This may be the most friendly board in the wakeboat world!
DFTR, yo eyes is bad !!!

Connolly_Crew
04-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Thats pretty Awesome, I will be in GA May 7th through 11th poking around, better keep them boats locked up LOL

Hit me up when you get down, maybe we can put together a surf sesh.

mmandley
04-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Hit me up when you get down, maybe we can put together a surf sesh.

I will see what I can do, we are pretty booked on time.
Red Eye flight Friday, arrive Saturday, meet with the realtor to look at a couple homes.
Planning on stopping by Drew Wolfe place if he has time to say hey and catch up.
Sunday is still pretty open so that might work.
Monday Tuesday wife works 1/2 day and I can't drive her rental due to company policy lol
We are looking for a rental those two days to move into while we continue to house shop.

I'll see if we can make Sunday work.
Just know I'll be a passenger / driver most likely, had a minor surgery and I still haven't been cleared to lift more then 10lbs or surf lol

beat taco
04-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Well if that's the case...here she is.

dusty2221
04-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Nice, where did you have it shipped from?

beat taco
04-26-2016, 02:26 PM
Nice, where did you have it shipped from?
Well pic is gone, no worries. I was looking at a used Mojo in Florida, with all things considered for shipping/hours/condition I started looking at new, Active has (1) '15 Mojo left, and was going see if we could make the numbers work, they were already at 65k without negotiating. Then a couple of Sunday's ago the boat I ended up with popped up on craigslist at a price I couldn't pass up. It's a '13 with 80 hours.
So unfortunately I'm not in th SC family anymore, but as time goes by I certainly hope to be in a new boat someday and won't hesitate to get back into a Moomba or Supra. The people who make the company are far and away the best I've ever seen or dealt with. I'm just a schmuck who had an old 2000 Supra and couldn't even afford a new one. Their service to me was second to none, I will always be thankful for that. No other manufacture cares about the individual the way SC does! They set the bar for level of commitment and service to their customers, it's a family and I'll always be an advocate for them.

DFTR Josh
04-29-2016, 07:49 PM
I see your point, was just sharing a pic of my family enjoying a day At the lake with my wakeboat brethren. I have owned SC but currently do not. My next prob will get me back In the SC fam. I think I even know from whom I may one day buy my slightly loved boat from! ��

I believe if someone were promoting another brand it would get zapped quickly. I also believe and know here are a few active members that do not currently own SC products but really enjoy the comradery on this board. This may be the most friendly board in the wakeboat world!
DFTR, yo eyes is bad !!!

I was just playing since it was mentioned elsewhere if an MB pic came up it would be nuked. I for one love to see other brands and people just having a good time on the water. Plus that MB is CRAZY cool, love what he did to it. Thanks for sharing.

wolfeman131
04-29-2016, 09:32 PM
It did get nuked as will others. If you want to see pics of other brands of boats, go to that brand's website, their Owner's forum and/or Wakeworld. Folks that own other brands are welcome to participate here as many have owned a Skiers Choice product and hopefully will come back to the franchise. Posting pics of competitive brands isn't tolerated on other forums and the same practice will be followed here.

muehlcj
04-30-2016, 06:00 PM
It did get nuked as will others. If you want to see pics of other brands of boats, go to that brand's website, their Owner's forum and/or Wakeworld. Folks that own other brands are welcome to participate here as many have owned a Skiers Choice product and hopefully will come back to the franchise. Posting pics of competitive brands isn't tolerated on other forums and the same practice will be followed here.

I know it's all SC but this is the moomba forum. Maybe we X the supra pics also? ��

kaneboats
05-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Hmmm. I think they will allow you to post Cadillac pics on the Chevy forum. Besides, this one is kind of the default forum for both as guys move back and forth between the two.

zabooda
05-03-2016, 09:12 PM
When in doubt, refer to the forum guidelines.