PDA

View Full Version : Can't pull old steering cable

ranger098
04-17-2016, 01:56 AM
Got the floor up on my 02 lsv, and trying to pull the old steering cable and install a new one. It gets stuck at the short run through the floor under the helm... It makes a 45 degree (approximately) angle upward before the hole that the cable comes through.

Any advice here? So close to getting thIs cable replaced

kaneboats
04-17-2016, 02:44 AM
Search "steering cable". Good luck!

Here's a little help:

https://forum.moomba.com/album.php?albumid=135

ranger098
04-17-2016, 09:06 AM
I have searched a ton here and seen the thread above. However in the post above, the hole is directly in the floor. My hole comes out of the top of a "footrest" that is at a 45 degree angle from the floor. The cable gets stuck there.

Surely someone else has run into this...

Rgar
04-17-2016, 09:45 AM
I replaced the steering cable in an 03 lsv. I tied a piece of rope to the end of the old cable and after removing it used the rope to snake the new cable through. I do remember that first part in the footrest being tough but after that, it should be smooth sailing. You have to pull the rope as you push the cable because it seems to bind. Hopefully that works for you.

ranger098
04-17-2016, 10:00 AM
I replaced the steering cable in an 03 lsv. I tied a piece of rope to the end of the old cable and after removing it used the rope to snake the new cable through. I do remember that first part in the footrest being tough but after that, it should be smooth sailing. You have to pull the rope as you push the cable because it seems to bind. Hopefully that works for you.

Thanks.. Did you pull the rack through or the rudder end? I'm pulling the rudder end

ranger098
04-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Thanks.. Did you pull the rack through or the rudder end? I'm pulling the rudder end

To anyone wondering, I got it through. Had to pull the other hoses out (for the heater) to make room for the steering cable.