PDA

View Full Version : Wake surfing tempature.

BrokeGuy
04-14-2016, 06:26 PM
I'm looking to test the new boat out. Along with learning to surf. The tempature this weekend will be sunny and 70 degrees, with lake water tempature at 65. Will I be okay in with just a pair of board shorts? Or should I invest in something to keep me warm?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

sivs1
04-14-2016, 06:38 PM
That is up to you, that water temp is about as warm as I get, we own shorty and full wet suits. 65 and 90 would be just shorts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BrettLee3232
04-14-2016, 08:13 PM
You'll defiantly have shrinkage...but you should be good to go 👌

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtatexc
04-14-2016, 09:47 PM
I am usually board shorts above 60 or so but ive conditioned myself to cold colorado water, plus dont spend a ton of time down surfing. If learning it would be wise to maybe wear a shorty if youre worried about it, but i bet youll be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wax
04-15-2016, 12:05 AM
I'd kill for 65 degree water before June. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

kaneboats
04-15-2016, 08:12 AM
I've trunked it a 58 in Feb. You wanna talk shrinkage? Had a to try out a new board tho. I usually wait for 70. Have a shorty I've never used.

dusty2221
04-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Lol...down here in Texas we had 62 degree water last weekend to go with an overcast on and off sprinkle rainy 68 degree day...I was in a full suit, 3/2.

parrothd
04-15-2016, 10:09 AM
I surf by water heat exchanger near the power plant. No wetsuit, but it's like a hot tub in the summer..

Connolly_Crew
04-16-2016, 05:10 PM
I'm looking to test the new boat out. Along with learning to surf. The tempature this weekend will be sunny and 70 degrees, with lake water tempature at 65. Will I be okay in with just a pair of board shorts? Or should I invest in something to keep me warm?

Wetsuit warehouse. You should be able to find a a spring shortl for about 50 bucks. It will be a great investment and help you get another 2 months year use. Buy the cheap one, 2 mm maybe. It will do what the high dollar ones do...

bergermaister
04-17-2016, 01:19 AM
I have a good friend in the SoCal area that seems to think a full wetsuit is a fashion statement and a must year round... In fact I'm not sure he even owns any board shorts... There are rumors he wears it in the pool in his backyard.

I've done 58 water in board shorts. Below that is time to sport at least a shorty. WETSUIT that is, come on now.

If you're just learning then you'll be in the H20 more than if you have a few seasons under your belt. I'd suggest the suit.

TheDude
04-17-2016, 07:51 AM
Central NY. Mine is going in today. Water temp 52- 7mm full suit with boots and gloves.

BrokeGuy
04-17-2016, 07:12 PM
I wore a shorty. Initial jump into the water it took my breathe. I spend 2 hours in the water with no problem.

Wax
04-17-2016, 09:57 PM
I went surfing and wakeboarding today, crazy to think there was snow less than a week ago lol. We didn't have a thermometer to test it but I'd guess it was 50-55, I'm an hour north of Detroit. Still was awesome!

muehlcj
04-17-2016, 10:41 PM
Central NY. Mine is going in today. Water temp 52- 7mm full suit with boots and gloves.

Where in NY?

TheDude
04-18-2016, 10:39 PM
Where in NY?

Central - Hamilton.

muehlcj
04-19-2016, 06:32 AM
Central - Hamilton.

Cool. Couple of us a farther upstate, elmira area. I'm working on a project in Homer which is out your way.

philnizz
04-20-2016, 03:43 AM
we have 48-50 water temp. will give it a try soon in my 4-3 wetsuit and booties.

mmandley
04-20-2016, 09:58 AM
I have always found as long as the air temp is 60 then its a good weather to be in the boat. You can always wear a light jacket and be comfortable.

As for water temps, 55 is the lowest I will let my knucklehead friends in the water to surf with no wetsuit. I always watch him each time I pick him up and I ask him questions as I pass by to make sure he can still answer me correctly.

Everyone else in the boat wears a wet-suit until the water temps are over 60, generally low 60s and they are fine.
The only thing that keeps the peeps in a wet-suit over 60s is if the sun isn't shinning.

I personally don't like all the effort a wet-suit takes to put on and take off, plus I always feel a lot colder when i take it off so I prefer to not wear one at all. Most years my wet-suit only sees 1 or two days on the boat.

Most of the time I have the boat running, and everything is ready when they jump in, all i do is tighten the rope and off we go. By the time they fall the first time they generally are acclimated to the water.

philnizz
04-21-2016, 02:31 AM
we have been out there surfing yesterday. water was about 50. all good with the wetsuit and booties. didnt have any gloves.

Ironcross25
04-28-2016, 04:08 PM
I have a full suit i usually when water temp is in 60's and air is 65-70ish no sun. never really went in with 50 degree water temps. I did do 60ish water and 48 air one labor day weekend morning. water was glass and couldn't resist. really only bust the full out when I want to be a sissy. I got a short sleeve wet suit shirt that works really well when its just chilly enough with trunks.

parrothd
04-28-2016, 04:29 PM
Never understood why being comfortable and warm by wearing a wetsuit means your a sissy.. You people are weird.. Lol..

If the water is cold I wear a wetsuit, full or shorty. I'd rather have a great time surfing then being cold and miserable.

kaneboats
04-29-2016, 01:00 AM
Yea, the pseudo-masculine crap can get someone hurt or dead. Do what you have to do to have fun. Z (and others in rescue positions) can probably chime in on how fast you can be in serious trouble in the water. Be safe and keep it fun. As drivers and owners we have to be smart and vigilant. I have trunked 58 degree water and surfed no problem (except for teeth wear from chattering). I prefer water closer to 80. But, how long in the water before I would have been in trouble? Not sure but it's not very long. Watch out for each other and keep it fun at any temp. Let's not make fun of anyone but Moombadaze who will not get wet till the water is over 87. :cool:

Wax
04-29-2016, 10:20 AM
I like warmth, no reason to freeze. I feel like if the water is so cold that I have to hold my hands out of the water when I fall, even with gloves on, then it's still wetsuit weather lol. Until I can comfortably keep my hands in the water, might as well leave it on. I don't mind a suit at all for surfing, but I do not like it for wakeboarding as I feel like my body is more restricted, so I do stop wearing it relatively quickly when the water becomes reasonable. Just preference, but anybody who doesn't wear one trying to be "macho" is ridiculous, nothing cool about hypothermia.