PDA

View Full Version : Perfect pass

Michael78
04-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Has anyone dealt with or heard of the digital screen of their perfect pass going out? System still works fine you just can't see it. Dealership called skier's choice and perfect pass today and was told they don't have any of that model left (08 LSV) so I would have to get a whole new computer and display for 650 plus labor! Please help if you can, thanks

dusty2221
04-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Same thing happened to my Supra. Same price it seems like. I opted out.

trayson
04-12-2016, 10:24 PM
sometimes you'll find used PP displays on Ebay... might be worth a shot.

Wax
04-12-2016, 11:22 PM
You can possibly find a used display on ebay but you need to make sure it's compatable with your control module. I saw one that was listed new for $200 but that was over a year ago. I had the same issue with mine, and I talked to an engineer at perfect pass maybe a year ago or so. The issue as I understood is that for a few years they used a certain circuit board (I think Intel) and it's susceptible to moisture. Have you noticed that once you drive around for a while it comes back? That's what mine did. When moisture collected on the board, especially overnight while very humid, it causes the screen to dim. They realized the issue and changed circuit boards (09 maybe?) and the issue went away. Unfortunately, they had to design a new module for the new board so the previous module is no longer usable with your screen. You're not just paying for the screen, you're paying for the module also (black box). You can replace just the screen, but eventually, if not quickly, the same issue will happen.

Here's a couple possible solutions, or at least deterrents:

-Spray silicone on the circuit board from the back side of the screen unit. This was what perfect pass recommended to me. If you do this often, when it's definitely dry, it should help prevent moisture buildup. Don't do it when "wet" as you may just trap in moisture.
-Put silica gel packs (that come in new shoes, jacket pockets, etc) in the back side of the screen unit. Try to squish them through the holes.

The good news is that to my understanding you can upgrade to the stargazer system pretty reasonably if you want (maybe $800?), and you can install it yourself. I'm assuming your system is mechanical since it's having this issue. You should talk to them about that. The other good news is it's very simple to pull out the old system and install the stargazer yourself. Do not pay for labor, as they will give you instructions and a somewhat mechanically inclined person should be able to handle it. I speak from experience as I have done all of this on an 06 LSV due to the same issue.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Wax
04-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Oh, or the other solution is memorize how to get to your wakeboard setting and surf setting, then adjust speed as necessary! That's what I did at first!

DFTR Josh
04-13-2016, 11:22 AM
Would this help at all? Not sure if he still has it but my buddy was offering this at $400
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40131&stc=1&d=1447364710

Michael78
04-13-2016, 11:29 AM
That is very good info Wax! thanks so much for the input!

Michael78
04-13-2016, 11:31 AM
What year is that one he is selling? I hate to ask but im assuming in whats in good working order when he decided to get rid of it? Thanks

DFTR Josh
04-13-2016, 11:35 AM
He used to own a 2007 Supra I think, sold it and picked up a 02 Super Air from a buddy a year later. From what I got he just found it cleaning out the garage when bringing the 02 home. I'll see if I can find a year on it...

Michael78
04-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Thanks, I would be a little nervous to buy without knowing it was in great working order.

DFTR Josh
04-13-2016, 11:44 AM
Let me get you his contact info and you can get all the info you need. I know he wouldn't sale anything if it was perfect, if I remember this is new never installed.

Michael78
04-13-2016, 12:14 PM
thanks man!!!

Michael78
04-13-2016, 12:19 PM
An engineer at perfect pass just told me when a digital screens go out on the system many times its a 1 inch black chip inside the computer that comes loose. He says to take the lid off of the module and its in the bottom right corner, he said that many times a corner will come up or out of its slot and to make sure all 4 corners are down, simply press each one with your thumb. the dealership my boat is at said they would try that, I wish it was at my house so i could do it myself, not that i dont trust dealerships to trouble shoot before they just tell you that you need a brand new one! :)

Wax
04-13-2016, 01:29 PM
Yeah maybe if it's going out, but mine was fading and then as we used the boat and got air circulating it would come back and function perfectly normal.

That supra gauge and module look like exactly what you need. As a comparison though, I sold an entire mechanical perfect pass system for $500... in my opinion, if you're going to spend the money, upgrade to the stargazer through perfect pass.

trayson
04-13-2016, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't want the stargazer. I like having the paddlewheel. Both my boats have had the paddlewheel wakeboard pro and they've worked great on the rivers we ride on. But when I drove a buddy's boat that had the GPS stargazer, it was annoying as hell because we had to adjust the speed setting depending on if we were going upstream or downstream. One time I tried to make a turn from upstream to downstream and I literally couldn't press the buttons fast enough to adjust the speed change and I lost the ability to keep my rider on the wave. Never had that problem on my paddlewheel. I do 90% of my days on rivers with current, so GPS isn't appealing to me.

Michael78
04-13-2016, 03:22 PM
all great info guys! The Supra does sound like a great deal (Thanks DFTR Josh!) i am struggling with wether to go ahead and upgrade though. cool thing is the lead that DFTR Josh gave me would be replacing my broken display and i would have a working back up computer if mine went down since my computer works just fine! Is the upgrade that big of a deal? i live on a lake with no current.

trayson
04-13-2016, 03:41 PM
"upgrade" depends on your needs/wants/priorities.

For me, the 'upgrade' would be a step backwards because I boat on a river. however, for many, the idea of speed registered by GPS is favorable to that of a paddlewheel. The paddlewheel can be affected by debris in the water, and some complain that the paddlewheel perfect pass can have surges. However, that's totally able to be filtered out via the PP settings. People also like that the GPS units have no "mechanical" measuring unit. therefore it's less intrusive of an install for many. That said, I think that it's pretty ugly to have a GPS receiver sitting out on the deck of your boat. Also, if you boat somewhere that has high canyon walls (like Lake Billy Chinook in Oregon), you can have your line of sight to the satellites blocked.

So, the Pros of the GPS unit are "accuracy, non-mechanical, ease of install".
The Pros of the paddlewheel are "better for current, no satellite blackouts, no GPS unit on the hull, typically less expensive"

Michael78
04-13-2016, 06:40 PM
thanks a lot Trayson and to all of you guys for the help!

parrothd
04-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Are you using this on a river? You can connect the paddle wheel to the stargazer and disable the gps. It's probably cheaper to find a display, did you call pp? You don't need one that say moomba on it..

parrothd
04-13-2016, 07:12 PM
http://m.ebay.com/itm/190875172198?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Wax
04-13-2016, 09:01 PM
Even on a lake you can sometimes get a little "current" in decent winds. I get what trayson is saying about a river if you're on a river, makes sense. However a gps stargazer also holds better in turns, where a paddle wheel system you have to help it accelerate often. So there are many pros and cons, but you can connect to paddle wheel as parrot says. If you're gonna spend 500, imo why not spend 800 and get a huge upgrade. That's my personal take from helping a friend do all this once and using both a paddle wheel and gps system (both many, many times, much more use on paddle).

Wax
04-13-2016, 09:04 PM
Oh and also if your current system is mechanical, the gps upgrade is a full digital system. No more servo, everything is electronically controlled through the engine ECU. That's also a HUGE plus imo compared to the mechanical system (if that's what you have).

Btw I know you're not in a river OP, you said you're on a lake...my last post may have seemed like I ignored that fact!

Michael78
04-13-2016, 09:39 PM
Love this forum!! Will let you guys know what I do! Thanks again

Wax
04-13-2016, 09:47 PM
The good thing is we all have opinions!