PDA

View Full Version : sticky stuff

deerfield
04-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Pulled a decal from the gelcoat. It left behind was some sticky stuff which won't wash off. Will denatured alcohol take it off, without damage to the gel coat? Is there a better solution to clean the area? Thanks.

Badfoot
04-08-2016, 07:21 PM
I used mineral spirit to remove the leftover tackiness when I removed the black pads from swim platform on 05 LSV. It didn't seem to cause any damage. You might also try " goof off" on it as well. I've used both on fairly small areas without any issues.

mmandley
04-08-2016, 07:29 PM
if you really concerned and not sure, use WAX, it will dry the glue up and you can rub it off.

I also use Isopropyl alcohol, its strong enough to remove most glues on the gell but gentle enough to not damage.

smorris7
04-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Goof off will work. Just rinse off area with soup and water when done then wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connolly_Crew
04-08-2016, 10:59 PM
Goof off will work. Just rinse off area with soup and water when done then wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I use

viking
04-08-2016, 11:54 PM
What others have said. If you pull any more off use a heat gun on low or a hair dryer (just don't let the mrs. know LOL). Helps immensely so you don't have that problem.

gbh424
04-09-2016, 01:32 AM
+1 for the Goof Off. I also used WD-40 when I removed decals from mine although the Goof Off seemed to work better. I also had to wet sand some areas after I removed decals from where they had become sun-baked.

deerfield
04-09-2016, 04:45 PM
Guys - Done. Earlier today bought a small bottle of Goof Off from Auto Zone. Worked well. Will follow up with a wash and wax. Many thanks for the helpful information and tips! - Stuart