PDA

View Full Version : Boat Shipping

beat taco
04-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Any insight on shipping a boat across the country would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at almost 3,000 miles.

mmandley
04-08-2016, 01:30 PM
Any insight on shipping a boat across the country would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at almost 3,000 miles.

I will contact my shipping master, and work this out for you bro.

Mike

dusty2221
04-08-2016, 02:07 PM
I can dig up the guy that brought mine from PDX to Texas if you would like. Extremely professional, amazing price, text updates including photos the whole way.

beat taco
04-08-2016, 02:30 PM
I can dig up the guy that brought mine from PDX to Texas if you would like. Extremely professional, amazing price, text updates including photos the whole way.
Yes please! Did you get it wrapped first?
That was Shane's boat correct?

parrothd
04-08-2016, 03:02 PM
Uship.... Probably around 1300-1600$.. There's an estimator on the website..

beat taco
04-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Uship.... Probably around 1300-1600$.. There's an estimator on the website..
I have an auction going. Estimator put it between 1500 and 3200.

dusty2221
04-08-2016, 03:15 PM
I did, AWS wrapped it for me. It was Shanes, you got it. I need to get it buffed though, the long trip ended up causing some chaffing.

beat taco
04-08-2016, 03:17 PM
I did, AWS wrapped it for me. It was Shanes, you got it. I need to get it buffed though, the long trip ended up causing some chaffing.
I was wondering. So would you still wrap it?

dusty2221
04-08-2016, 03:22 PM
I was hoping you wouldn't ask, lol. I think in the longrun, it was worth it...I certainly was not planning on having the added expense of buffing once it got here, which won't be cheap but I think it most likely protected more than it harmed.

mmandley
04-08-2016, 03:59 PM
In your case Jake I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't have a cover, your going to have to clean everything and buff it already

gregski
04-08-2016, 04:11 PM
When I got mine, I did not wrap it and I took the cover off. I figured that the worst that was going to happen would be rain and frankly, these boats are made to get wet - just be sure to get it dry before covering. Well, maybe some bird doo would be the real worst case. I don't think it would be worth the expense of wrapping and then recovering from the chaffing (I get some just from towing 60 miles round trip going in/out of winter storage). Plus, it takes noticeably more gas to pull it wrapped (not your problem unless the shipper is savy enough to charge for it or is using a semi). About the only argument I'd have for wrapping is to curb "vandalism" - I'm not sure what the real risk is, but a boat just sitting there overnight seems like it's prime for an opportunistic party spot or curious exploration.

jstenger
04-08-2016, 05:08 PM
I would wrap it. That is how they are shipped from the factory.

gregski
04-08-2016, 05:34 PM
I would wrap it. That is how they are shipped from the factory.
In my mind, the difference is the tow vehicle. Behind a semi-tractor, it gets some shielding from the wind. Behind a pick-up, the top and sides are "sticking out" into the wind and the shrink wrap will flap/buzz much more and will cause some damage to the gel coat that you will need to repair (even if just buffing it out). Personally, I'd rather deal with a wet boat. When they ship from the factory, do they use those sticky plastic covers under the shrink wrap, like what you see on cars? That would help.

sandm
04-09-2016, 07:01 AM
I towed mine from idaho to wisconsin and had no issues behind a pickup truck other than the wrong time of the year to be doing it(still some salt on the roads). I had the local dealer put on a travel cover that went from bow to platform and tied to the trailer in about 10 spots. It's a very heavy thick plastic with a felt underside against the boat. iirc it was around $300 and is somewhat reusable so it has been my storage cover for the last few years. they also used a sticky film on the front of the boat back about 1/3 of the way to the bottom and everywhere the cover touched the boat. if I had it to do again tho, I would have paid to have the trailer wrapped as well. I think I could have gotten them to put the film on it for around $300 and it would have been money well spent.

trayson
04-10-2016, 12:24 AM
I used u ship for my boat from Indiana to wa. Go with someone that has a legit Mc number. That way you know they're not some guy that rented a truck.

Mine went with the factory tow cover on and was fine.

Kidder522
04-10-2016, 01:17 AM
I did uship for my boat from Oregon to Alberta border. Shipped with cover off. All good after a good cleaning which I was going to do anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmvotto
04-10-2016, 08:19 AM
What are you getting shipped? Maybe I missed that part.

sandm
04-10-2016, 10:05 AM
I heard 2 stories. interested which one it is...
http://www.theinternationalman.com/img/categories/april-fool.jpg

http://www.portlandpudgy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Standing-up-in-Pudgy.jpg

dusty2221
04-11-2016, 09:42 AM

Sent you a PM

seftonm
04-11-2016, 05:45 PM
How does it work with insurance and license plates and so on for the trailer? Do you get it registered and insured, then send papers to the shipper? Or did they just ship it on flatbed?

beat taco
04-12-2016, 01:22 AM
Sent you a PM
Thanks! So far it's $3k on uship. Ouch.

zabooda
04-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Thanks! So far it's $3k on uship. Ouch.

Plus if you are shipping to an area of a lower cost of living where boat prices are cheaper then you have an instant depreciation on the boat so a $3k hit may be only the start of it. It is a different story if you can't part with the boat which is understandable.

trayson
04-12-2016, 12:09 PM
How does it work with insurance and license plates and so on for the trailer? Do you get it registered and insured, then send papers to the shipper? Or did they just ship it on flatbed?

I had my seller leave his Indiana plates on the trailer, then I mailed them back to him since he wanted to keep it for garage art. Almost every quote I got was for the boat to be towed behind a shipper's truck. The shipper had to get a few inspections along the way too--invasive species and such.

mmandley
04-12-2016, 12:18 PM
I used to haul RVs, and Boats part time before these hot load guys and stuff became mainstream.

As a shipper you have to have your own DOT numbers, you should be under an LLC, you have to have a Million Dollar insurance policy, and technically you have to registrar your truck as a businesss truck and you get spacial plates designed that way.

I had a dealer plate and that's what I towed everything with. With a dealer plate and your DOT # on your truck your at the mercy of the law to stop you at any time to check your logs, weight, insurance type of things.

If you choose to pay someone private, the boat has to have full coverage insurance, driver has to be on the policy, and driver needs a letter of permission and rights to transport your boat.

This is why it's expensive to transport.

I got out of the business because the rates in my side sucked for all the extra insurance and licensing I had to pay.

I still haul privately at times but I generally charge $1 a mile once I hook up, plus you pay all the fuel in my truck.

dusty2221
04-12-2016, 12:20 PM
FWIW, when I listed mine for bidding on Uship they all started near that $3k price. A local Hotshot Driver also quoted me the same. When the time got near and I started asking questions of the bidders it seems like the number of offers increased because they knew it was a real shipment and ready to go down. At one point two movers were bidding back and forth against each other pretty quickly.