PDA

View Full Version : 20 hr Service

TN_Boarder
07-06-2006, 12:20 AM
When I took my boat in for the 20 hour service, I am almost positive that my dealer did nothing more than a routine oil change. They only charged me $50 and pretty much told me that's all they did. Should I be concerned?

gcombe74
07-10-2006, 03:22 PM
No I would not be to concerned to be honest. i would just make sure all your fluid levels are good... your 20 hour is pretty much all about the oil change, and the break in period on the motor... other then checking the rest of the fluids you should be good to go!

your new motor can burn alot of oil and get dirty pretty quick the first 20hrs.

Ok I stand corrected... your dealer according to the indmar manual should have changed your transmission fluid as well... they recommend changing it after the first 10-20 hours if you have the manual see page 56.

Smrtz
07-11-2006, 11:29 AM
count your lucky stars...

I bought mine at Muskoka Lakes Marine. Took me less than 2 weeks to put that first 20 hrs on they charged me 300.00 (included the oil change)

I was not impressed that I just dropped 40k and they wanted another $300, 2 weeks later to check and make sure what they sold me was a good solid product...

Still a bit bitter about it.. kinda like how I called and ordered a new impeller and nut for the top of the plastic piece on the motor second week in may ....

havent heard anything from them.

cobra219
07-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Smrtz,

That's discouraging. I just bought an Outback from Gary at Muskoka Lakes Marine last weekend and I already have 10 hours on it so it will be going in for the 20 hr in the next few weeks. $300?!...really. That's alot of cash for an oil and tranny change. And you haven't heard from them since May on the impeller? I know that they are very busy this time of year, but...

Should I be servicing somewhere else? Walker's Point has offered to service the new boat and they're only 10 minutes away, as opposed to 1.5 hours. They're not a Moomba dealer (they sell/service Cobalt, Ebbtide and Centurion). They seem to be good people, family run business and all.

Dave

Smrtz
07-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I hear you on that I can scan a copy of the receipt! I was shocked when I got the bill in the mail.

If you have to deal with those guys down there I find it is best to deal with Morgan. Once Gary has your$ he really could care less... Last conversation I had with him was about the nut to hold the plastic on the top of the motor... he said its really not a big deal... I said yes but I want it kept in mint condition so its a big deal to me. I asked him to order the piece. He said okay good bye.. I said hey Gary do you want my phone number so you can call me when the part comes in ...he says sure...and that was the last I heard from him!!

do you know they quoted me 1200.00 to store the boat over the winter?

I have spoken with a couple other moomba owners in my area that have had similar problems when getting warranty work done. One guy waited 6 months for a stereo repair under warranty. Couldnt get Gary to return phone calls...

I know that dealership sold 44 outbacks last year. Im already thinking about upgrading to the V drive. I wont do it through muskoka lakes marine. Ill go through the Moomba dealer closer to Ottawa... If they took better care of customers I think they would be more willing to go back and do more biz with them.

Ok thats my rant. lets be clear its not everyone there. The guys in the shop are great to deal with Morgan is great also. Its just dealing with Gary who runs the place that I cant deal with!

cobra219
07-12-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm not suprised about Gary. I got that impression once the sale was made. Morgan handled the initial test ride for me and was great...too bad he's not running the show! I'm going to look into Walker's Point. John Dunne seems like a stand up guy and says that the Centurions that he sells and maintains have the same engine as mine so maintenance shouldn't be a problem. Lord help me if I need warranty work...

Thanks for the info. By the way, which Lake are you on. We're down on Lake Muskoka...East Bay. Haven't seen many Moombas around our neck of the woods.

Dave

Smrtz
07-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Hey Cobra, Im actually south of Toronto. Generally run on the Grand River. I did bring it up to lake Muskoka last week as I was on vacation staying at taboo resort in Gravenhurst. never fails whenever I tow it up there its windy and too choppy. Boat sat on the trailor the whole stay :(

Thats the thing about the river... its no Muskoka but its always calm it seems even in a gale force wind..lol

Whenever I have to have any contact with the dealership now I only ask for Morgan.. He is truely a great guy... He did my initial drive on the boat also. You know I saw him at the boat show this year in Toronto remembered my name, my wifes name 7 months later... really is generally interested and excited for the people he sells to.

I would have no issue taking the boat to another dealership as long as they are experienced in dealing with inboards. I would also ask the new place you take it if they can do warranty work.. you may be surprised...

cobra219
09-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Smrtz,

Just a quick update to the 20 hr issue. I ended up bringing my boat to Walker Point Marina for the service as it's only 15 minutes from the cottage. Great service, very thorough, and done in a timely fassion. Got the bill just the other day...$379!!! Maybe Muskoka Lakes isn't such a bad deal...

Dave

Smrtz
09-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Yes im still trying to figure out how there is such a massive price difference between what some of our friends pay in the US for their servicing and what we pay here... I wonder if its because there really are so few inboards and even less dealers that are certified by Indmar to service them.

I took my boat to Bay City Marine this year for its 100 hr and it was like 250.00 oil change, tranny fluid, general inspection.

Do you leave your boat up there for the winter...Im starting to think that its just that the dealers up there have Muskokaitis!

which is the belief that anyone in the muskokas is a multi millionaire..lol

cobra219
09-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I'm planning on leaving my boat up there for the winter. It'll be hoisted in the boathouse and put on blocks. Very convenient, but I don't get to see my baby for seven months!

I defenitely feel that there is alot of Muskokaitis up in cottage country. The service is great. Everyone is friendly, helpfull and very competent...but you pay for it! And if you don't like it, where else do you go? I didn't buy a trailer with my boat because I haven't needed one for years...so I'm kind of stuck having to service locally.

On a lighter note, I'm hoping to get a wetsuit for our Thanksgiving Weekend to get one last ski in.

Cheers,

Dave

Smrtz
09-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Oh wow... My boat goes in for winterization and storage on Monday so I was thinkin maybe a final run this weekend but Im tellin you the water is freezing already... hopefully one last hoorah this weekend then same as you 7 months with just some pics to hold me over!

are you getting a shorty wetsuit or a full body one?

cobra219
09-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Think that I'll go for a shorty. It'll be more usefull throughout the season, although the ski next weekend is going to be brutal!

Have a good last hurray with this weekend...I'm already dreading my last boat ride...

Cheers,

Dave