PDA

View Full Version : '99 Mobius Seal Replacement

Newguy
04-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Hey guys, I been reading a lot on here lately and it has helped a lot from even getting that damn aft floor panel out so I can follow your alls steps for seal replacement. However, when I got my floor panel up I found this little guy sitting down inside of the back of the bay. Anyone know what it is?

It wouldn't let me insert the picture for some reason tried for like 20 mins lol23739

zabooda
04-05-2016, 09:31 PM
A guess on my part but it looks like an incomplete section of the Air guide speedometer expansion tube. One inch diameter? You should see one on each side of the gas tank. There is a thread from years back that someone took pictures of a 98 with the floor removed that may help. A remodeling project.

kaneboats
04-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Ejector seat piston.

Newguy
04-06-2016, 09:15 PM
So closest thing I have found searching the web is a shear pin, anyone know anything about if moomba used/uses them? If so, where they would be?

"Shear pin or hub insert
To prevent gearbox damage if the propeller strikes a solid object, the prop of older outboards is driven via a shear pin, a weak link that breaks before anything else in the system. Such engines normally have provision for carrying spares under the engine cowling – it’s worth carrying a few. They can be quickly replaced after removing the prop, but make sure there’s no chance anyone can start the engine while you’re working on it.

Newer and larger engines normally have a rubber hub insert in the prop that absorbs small knocks without damage. These are more resilient to absorbing knocks without damage, but if failure does eventually occur there’s no quick fix as with a shear pin."

Newguy
04-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Its not very large maybe 1.5 inches in length.

kaneboats
04-07-2016, 10:20 AM
Your prop and shaft have a keyway a key a nut and a cotter pin. There is no shear pin like on some outboards and I/O's.

This page shows the parts, etc.:

https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2127

kaneboats
04-07-2016, 10:21 AM
It's not a hinge pin is it? Does your clamshell hinge have pins that come out to remove the whole cover? Can't remember how I did it on my Outback.

zabooda
04-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Being that small, it could have come from the throttle linkage or where the throttle or shifter cable connects.

Newguy
04-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Haha I wish it was that simple but unfortunately not a hinge pin, Everything is operational including steering and throttle I'm still crawling around checking things. Ill be sure to post if I can figure out what the hell it is, if anything.