PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Wake

JC_N_NC
07-05-2006, 10:09 PM
I am having an issue getting the wake to stop rolling over. I have an 06 Outback V with a 400# ballast in the front locker and a wake plate. I pull my son at 14-16mph and the wake seems to roll over the top instead of making a crisp edge. I know I have seen the edge get very clean and steep sometimes but can't seem to make the boat do it on demand.

Thanks for the help. He started wakeboarding last 7 days ago and is already jumping half way across the wake. If I can get my stuff together he should be able to clear it in the next week.

JoeTechie
07-05-2006, 11:11 PM
What is in the V-drive side lockers ?

-J

JC_N_NC
07-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Skis, tubes, etc, etc, etc,

I can add bags but would prefer to keep the storage if possible

07-05-2006, 11:16 PM
You will not be able to get it stop white washing until 18.5 MPH and above. At 14 to 16 the boat is still not on plane. I would start speeding up your son .5 MPH at a time over the next month or so. Don't speed him up to fast, there is a big diff between a face plant at 14 MPH and 21 MPH. When you do get him up to 19 or 20, plan on running with the wake plate at 1/2 to 3/4 up to get a nice shaped wake.

Good Luck!

Pacs007
07-05-2006, 11:27 PM
You will have a tough time getting rid of the white wash at 14-16 MPH. The boat is fighting to plane at that point. We are able to get a descent wake at 18ish with the wake plate about 1/2, as you speed up you should be able raise to wake plate and avoid the white wash. Be careful as you speed your son up, there is a big diff between a face plant at 14 and 20.

The above info works on our Outback V with the center bag filled. As you add weight to the back the above info with change some.

To figure all of this out we basically fill the ballast and increased speed .5 MPH at a time and adjusted the wake plate until we found what we were looking for.

Good Luck

smokedog2
07-05-2006, 11:32 PM
move people to the front or back, left & right. often at slow speeds (13-15) I will settle for one "good" side. A little moving around can really help a wake.

SD2

JC_N_NC
07-06-2006, 11:59 PM
I guess that's why it's been tough to be consistent with the wake. We have had different amounts of people on the boat all week.

Of course he is getting frustrated that he isn't already flying the wake (ahh to be 11 again). Will sacks in the rear help? I guess I can't visualize the cause and effect on the wake based on changing the setups.

Thanks for the input!

JC

Wolf-
07-07-2006, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by JC_N_NC
I guess that's why it's been tough to be consistent with the wake. We have had different amounts of people on the boat all week.

Of course he is getting frustrated that he isn't already flying the wake (ahh to be 11 again). Will sacks in the rear help? I guess I can't visualize the cause and effect on the wake based on changing the setups.

Thanks for the input!

JC

DVD 1 of "The Book" (buywake (http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/na_VB358), Wakeside (http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/the_book_series_video_dvd)) has some great graphics of weight distribution and the effect it has on the wake. Shows how off centered weight washes out the crest.

Also, as an aside, the series also has a nice section on learning to drive properly. Dumbell routes instead of Nascar loops saves shoreline and doesn't mess up the water as badly.

EUSTACE
07-07-2006, 04:39 AM
I agree, The Book is well worth the money, but the box set if you can. Not only does it give good pointers on boat set-up, but the riding instructions very useful. There is no substitute for riding technique; it is technique will have you soon flying through the air more so then the wake shape.

Good luck, E

EUSTACE
07-07-2006, 04:44 AM
Let me try that again w/o the type-o's

I agree, The Book is well worth the money, buy the box set if you can. Not only does it give good pointers on boat set-up, but the riding instructions very useful. There is no substitute for riding technique; it is technique will have you son flying through the air more so then the wake shape.

Good luck, E

2006outbackv
07-07-2006, 04:55 AM
i just bought a 2006 outback v , maybe the same set up as you , i ve had it for about a month , and sounds to me that you need to speed up to at least 18 -19 mph for the boat to plane. w/ the wake plate all the way down. this will decrease the wake . at least this works for me . later ,
jason.

JC_N_NC
07-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Got it right last Monday night. It just took some tweaking.

He's 5'4" 100lbs and here's his setup.

17mph
Front bag 1/2 full
Wake Plate at 70% deployed
Rope at 10' off

Perfect crest and a great launch ramp for him. He was much more comfortable with the the smooth edge.

Thanks for all the input.

JC

jcbridges
07-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by EUSTACE

Let me try that again w/o the type-o's

I agree, The Book is well worth the money, buy the box set if you can. Not only does it give good pointers on boat set-up, but the riding instructions very useful. There is no substitute for riding technique; it is technique will have you son flying through the air more so then the wake shape.

Good luck, E

If you really want it w/o typos:

I agree, The Book is well worth then money. Buy the box set if you can. Not only does it give good pointers on boat set-up, but the riding instruction is very useful. There is no substitute for riding technique; it is technique that will soon have you flying through the air more than wake shape.;)