PDA

View Full Version : Boat Lift Suggestion

kpanderson07
03-29-2016, 12:13 PM
What would you guys recommend for a boat lift? One of my good friends just built on the water about 10 minutes from my house and has offered to let me keep the boat at his place if I buy the lift. He is already putting in a two slip dock so no additional money for him. The trade off is that he gets to keep the boat in my barn during the winter. I was just going to trailer all year but this is too good of an idea to pass on.

Thanks

Karl

jstenger
03-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Too answer this better we need to know how deep the water is where the lift will sit. Hydraulic cantilever lifts need deeper water where as hydraulic/cable straight up and down lifts can be used in shallower water. I think the OBV is around 3500 pounds, so you will need a 4500+ pound lift. I went with a 5000 pound cable Maxx lift with a direct drive motor. Very happy with it.

wolfeman131
03-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Every lake is different. I'd suggest you look to see what his neighbors have and what is readily available in the area then go from there.

For example, around Atlanta three of the lakes are Lanier, Oconee & Sinclair. Folks on Lanier use an air lift where an air pump mounted on the dock fills air bags mounted to/under the cradle to lift the boat out of the water. Works great and keeps the boat in relation to the floating docks they use due to the varying water level on that lake. On Oconee, the Owner of the lake is Georgia Power. They restrict lifts to the small aluminum, cantilever ones that you can put a canopy one. They want to keep as few structures on the shoreline as possible. However, Sinclair is also a Georgia Power lake and docks are fixed to the lake bed, so lifts consist of beams, bunks and cables to lift the boat out of the water.

I'm on Sinclair and if I had an air lift dock, there wouldn't be anyone there that could service it if I had problems.

kpanderson07
03-29-2016, 02:29 PM
Thanks. It is about 8 - 10 feet. Anyone have experience with a Hydro Hoist? That is what my buddy is getting for his boat.

wolfeman131
03-29-2016, 04:36 PM
Hydro Hoist is probably the dominant one on Lake Lanier & Allatoona and I'd bet there are thousands of them in use. I don't know that I've heard of any negatives to them. Maybe someone from one of those two lakes will chime in.

NoleAlum
03-30-2016, 11:51 AM
I have a place on Hartwell which is another lake in Georgia where levels fluctuate. Therefore my dock floats and cannot use a cable lift. I just bought a 4400# hydro hoist used from a friend that just bought a MC x30 and the lift was too small. The dealer installed it and it is great. Lifts my 2012 LSV in about 3 minutes. Crazy how much they are when it is vacuum cleaner motor that operates it but well worth the money.
If you think you may upgrade to heavy boat some day may want to get larger one. Dealer said about $2000 just to add a tank to make it lift more.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

kpanderson07
03-30-2016, 03:02 PM
I am in the same boat and can't use a cable lift either so I am also getting a 4400# HydroHoist installed next week.

Thanks for the responses.

Karl

NoleAlum
03-30-2016, 03:36 PM
Good luck. Do you mind if I ask what they are quoting?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

kpanderson07
03-30-2016, 04:22 PM
$6500 all in. They are installing it the same week my buddies dock is going in (they are doing that also) so they are not charging me for install.

tnbrooks01
03-31-2016, 07:52 PM
6600lb hydro hoist for me. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk