PDA

View Full Version : Too many hours?

Wax
03-28-2016, 10:17 PM
How would you guys feel about buying a boat with about 1000 hours on it? Specifically an 05 Mobius LSV. Assume it looks excellent, runs excellent, and mechanically it checks out. Assume it's a good deal, at the lower end of the spectrum for similar model and year range (pre 06).

I'm thinking we want to go back to a V drive due to interior space constraints in the Outback with 4 kids, even though I love my Outback. Looking at a few boats, including a few on the classifieds here and various places around the country. I've owned an 06, I understand the 05 Mob is what became the Outback hull after 06...I just don't want to spend enough to get an 06, I'm limiting myself to under $25k all in with taxes and fees, especially since I still have the Outback, although I'll sell it soon. This boat is below that.

If I do this, I hope I'm not gonna regret not ponying up for a 06 up hull. I will say that I load down my Outback with 1900lbs of weight and I enjoy wakeboarding behind it, can do my rolls, tantrums, 3s, etc just fine. I feel like if I'm satisfied with my Outback that I'll be even more satisfied with the 05 lsv (and I'll be able to surf my own boat again instead of all my lake friends' boats lol).

I'm also looking at boats such as a 02 Supra Sunsport 22v (which is honestly my front runner), 2001 Supra Launch SSV, a 03 Malibu 23 LSV, 2000 MC 205v, and other comparable boats in a similar price range for reference, but all are more like 400-800 hours.

Wax
03-28-2016, 11:18 PM
Also, is it just me or is the boat market really high right now? I'm kind of shocked at used prices. It's damn near impossible to find a good v drive under $25k out the door...I've scoured the country!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

patrick232
03-29-2016, 06:10 AM
Also, is it just me or is the boat market really high right now? I'm kind of shocked at used prices. It's damn near impossible to find a good v drive under $25k out the door...I've scoured the country!

With the slowdown of 2009/2010/2011 boat building and others holding onto their boats everyone is asking more for used.

sandm
03-29-2016, 07:51 AM
patrick is spot on. I think it'll be a few years before you can pick up a decent vdrive for under 20-25k.
if it was my coin:
-hold out, keep shopping and look for the hull you ultimately want. a few additional $$ now will keep you from buyers remorse in the future. most of us up in the north have not even picked our boats up yet. sure there will be more hitting the for sale threads in the next month or 2.
-I, personally, would be cautious of a boat with 1000hrs on it but that's a reality in the price range you are in. I would budget 2-3k for a rebuild into the price of the boat and if it's a few years before it's needed, then great. just like a car with 125k on the clock, 1000hrs from original owner and records is a lot different than 1000hrs on a boat with many owners across multiple states and no records.

Wax
03-29-2016, 08:49 AM
Honestly, I'm not going to drop more than $25k out the door, so I feel like I'm priced out of a 06 hull. As long as a boat can surf decent, board well, and ski decent, I'm good. I'm just looking for a good deal, otherwise I'll just keep the Outback. My main goal is get a v drive configuration for space asap for the season. I'm just not real picky on my wake, I'll surf or board behind anything...as I mentioned I'm satisfied with the Outback wake for skiing of course and wakeboarding, but in all honesty it can't surf. I can make a little wake behind it and keep up and spin a 360 but it's pretty worthless lol.

Do any of you have experience surfing an older supra ssv or the sunsport v with the same hull? I'm looking at that 02 sunsport, but I had a launch dd and it didn't surf well, and my buddy had a 21v and I swear it's the only boat I could never make surf! I'm thinking maybe that supra hull shape just wasn't a great surf hull.

kaneboats
03-29-2016, 09:06 AM
I would be tempted to make a "universal" surf gate that I could try on boats that I demo. It could be the key to finding a cheaper boat that will still surf.

I am not in love with the idea of a 1000 hour plus boat for one reason. In a year or two you will want to sell it and move up to the 06+ hull or something else. Then what?

If I was going to go cheap I would try to go real cheap and use a surf gate.

gregski
03-29-2016, 11:35 AM
I am not in love with the idea of a 1000 hour plus boat for one reason. In a year or two you will want to sell it and move up to the 06+ hull or something else. Then what?
That's it. If you think you might want to upgrade even $5k to an '06+ in a few years, it will be even harder to sell that '05 with 1400 hours or whatever. But if you're really strapped on that budget, want a newer boat this year and you think you might stick with it for 5-10 years, then I wouldn't have a problem with 1000 hours on a good deal boat. I think you could easily get 2000 hours but you are going to start facing some of the age things like oil leaks and such.

deerfield
03-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Wax - What are the kids' ages? Is lack of room a short-lived issue or are they likely to be involved in other interests that will soon or eventually free up room in the Outback? Think long-term. That said, if you pursue an alternative to the Outback, I think the Supra Sunsport is a GREAT looking boat. - Deerfield

vipertoad
03-29-2016, 04:47 PM
Spend the extra $$ and get a nicer boat. It will hold value better.

Why not just pick up a used 13 or 14 Moomba for $45k - $50k, and sell in 1-2 years for same amount? No need to buy old boats with how cheap lightly used ones are.

parrothd
03-29-2016, 04:50 PM
You just missed out, someone was selling a 06 for $25k on here. Gotta be quick..

parrothd
03-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Seems to be quite a few boats 06+ under 30k..

http://claz.org/classifieds.html?q=moomba+lsv&l=36000&p=2

sivs1
03-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Don't be afraid of hours. think of it in miles, my 2015 Ram 1500 has 12,000 miles, that equates to about 330 hours. You'll be able to tell if the owner took care of everything. I just sold my 2006 LSV with 775 hours on it, but being a 10 year old boat, that's less than 100 hours a season and we use it a lot. I can't wait to get my SA on the water, we'll use it a lot as well meaning close to if not more than 100 hours a season.

If you're not buying it to use it, don't buy it.

One another note, get a 2006 or newer hull, you'll be happier.

rdlangston13
03-29-2016, 07:36 PM
How scarred some of you are about hours has me worried that when we finally do upgrade we will have to pay someone to take our boat. I change the oil with AmsOil full synthetic every year and take great care of it but we USE it. We are at 500 hrs now and plan on keeping it for 4 more years or so...

Sent from my iPhone

jtatexc
03-29-2016, 08:04 PM
I can speak on behalf of a guy I know. He had a great looking Mastercraft that he definitely used but took great care of. When it came time to sell he played hell getting rid of it due to being over 1000 hours. He had all records and was meticulous about upkeep but people are so scared of stuff that high (including myself). He ultimately had to come way down on what he thought was market value just because he wasn't getting calls because the hours, and truthfully his interior was cleaner than my tige with half the hours on it and I made way more money than him for the same year boat when I sold. I agree with those above that it is worth it to buy a little nicer. I am someone who always makes my decisions on projected resale value regardless of how long I "plan" on keeping it. Kept me out of trouble so far. I don't know if I agree with the statement about 45-50k being "cheap" for any boat since everyone's budget is certainly different but I do think if you look hard enough and are patient you can get a GREAT used boat in the 500 hour range that will fit your needs in the next couple months. You have to remember how many people will be shopping and looking to unload their boats in the next couple months...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
03-29-2016, 09:04 PM
My question is, why are there not more boats out there with 1,000+ hours? Do people just like junk them after that point? I mean anyone who uses their boat a normal amount would accumulate 1,000 hours in 10 and most certainly 15 years I would think.

Sent from my iPhone

jtatexc
03-29-2016, 09:13 PM
My question is, why are there not more boats out there with 1,000+ hours? Do people just like junk them after that point? I mean anyone who uses their boat a normal amount would accumulate 1,000 hours in 10 and most certainly 15 years I would think.

Sent from my iPhone
Definitely agree with you to an extent. My thought is that if you have to ask if that amount of hours is too much, than for you it probably is. And the reality is that 1k on a boat is just like the 100k hit on a car. We have all bought a car with over 100k on it before and have paid less knowing that there is a higher chance of issues. Not for sure it is going to have big ones, but obviously the chances are there, especially when you look at the functionality of this market of boat (loaded with ballast, people, gear, etc.), there is just more chance for issues. My neighbor sought out a higher hour boat for that reason because he is a gear head and figured he could save a ton and deal with the labor as it comes. To each their own, just be an educated buyer...
I will probably be at the 1k mark in 7 or so years on the craz and I am crazy with taking care of my boats. Just something you have to prep for that people have a stigma about use

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sandm
03-29-2016, 09:18 PM
I think the people that are using boats a ton are keeping them. if you figure the wakeboat industry didn't really explode until the mid-2000's, those boats are just now hitting the 10 year old mark. people are either trading frequently and at the 500+hr mark they are landing in the hands of those that are going to keep them for a long time or they are 1 owner boats that are not going anywhere. the lower hour boats are being turned more frequently as those people are upgrading every few years or using for a few, realizing that the cost of ownership is not worth the dollars and selling.
the other factor is that many boats prior to the mid-2000's don't have accurate hours meters or ones that are still installed.

keeping in mind that usage is location dependent. if I lived in the south, bet i'd have a lot more usage than the state I live in that has a much more compressed season and spacing the fuel usage out over a year vs 5 months means that you can use a lot more in southern states than northern without it hitting the pocketbook as hard.
all just my .02.

Wax
03-30-2016, 07:18 AM
Kane, the "universal" surf gate is the new Ronix Wake Shaper I think...for $600 that's not bad! The guy I sold my 06 LSV to actually made his own universal surf gate though, it's pretty awesome.

Viper, $45-50k is not cheap in my opinion. I could afford it and I considered a new or new-ish boat and dropping some big cash like that, but I don't see a reason. Plenty of great older boats that do what I need them to do for half that money, and I maintain my own equipment so I can handle the small issues that come up with an older used boat. I put myself on a $25k limit on purpose, to force myself to find a good deal. We only get to use our boats for a few good months up here, if I were down south maybe it would be a different story.

Parrot, I saw the 06 for $25k, unfortunately I didn't decide to start looking until Saturday! And yeah I've seen some good boats for around $30k, but again I put myself on a $25k limit. 5 years ago, I would've spent anything on a boat...the more money I make, the less I want to spend it lol!

Sivs, I think hours on a boat are in general harder than hours on a car. If you're using these boats as they are intended (ski, surf, board), then the engines are running pretty hard, especially loaded down with ballast. If you think about it, a car probably averages less than 60mph even, and even 1000 hours would only be 60k miles in that case. I agree that the 1000hr mark is probably more equivalent to the 100k mark in a car.

rdlangston, I'm not afraid of hours if I were buying it from the original owner with all maintenance records. 1000hrs is a lot of use for a person to possibly not take care of it properly. It's not the hours I'm scared of, it's the unknown maintenance for those high of hours. I had a friend that just traded in his 06 SAN 226 with maybe 1500 hours or more last I knew; I considered buying his boat but it was still worth well over what I wanted to pay. He was original owner and it was dealer maintained it's whole life and had no issues. Honestly, I also think there are not many boats above 1000hrs because those people keep them longer, and most people don't use their boats nearly that much. I bought my 06 with 180hrs on it 2 years ago!

jtat, I thought it was too many hours without maintenance records. I wanted general opinions from the board, because this is all good info people are giving. I agree with your 1k hrs being close to 100k on a car, that's probably a good analogy as I mentioned above.

sandm, I agree, we only get a few really good seasons (I usually start early and end late, but I'm okay with cold!). Down south, I may consider a more expensive boat because I'd get more use out of it. It would suck having a $60k boat in storage for 6 or more months! We have plenty of other toys that I pay for, so it's just not smart financially IMO as I had mentioned earlier. I'd rather get an older boat that nearly all the depreciation is completely gone!

Wax
03-30-2016, 07:44 AM
And anyway, I decided against the 05 LSV for a few reasons. First is the hours without maintenance records, but that wasn't really my main concern because it seemed well maintained. Second, I really wanted to target plumbed in full ballast if possible, and it didn't have the gravity 3 system. Really, it's that I've owned a 06 LSV, and I didn't want to be kicking myself. I think the freeboard is really low in that 05 and I'm not confident with it's surfing ability. If I'm going to buy a boat, I might as well get one that'll do what I want. I was worried that even though I'd be in my price range it just wasn't the right fit. Plus not that this really matters, but it was yellow, and I just wasn't super into that color lol.

HOWEVER, I happened to find a different boat I hadn't seen yet that is not a Moomba, and I pulled the trigger! It was originally more than the Moomba, but I actually negotiated it down to less than the Moomba and it has literally everything I was looking for...plumbed in full ballast (all hard tanks under the floor), playpen bow, bimini top, even a full sound system with tower speakers and a Clarion bluetooth/pandora ready radio, perfect pass, and only 540 hours. I actually bought it from the same dealer that had the 05 LSV and they are even throwing in the Ronix Wake Shaper for cost! It's also more of my style in regards to color, not that color has much bearing on my decision, just a plus. I'm finalizing the deal today and will pick up either in a few days or after we get back from spring break trip next week!

I'm trying to post pics but it keeps showing me error #2038. I've tried a simple file name, I've made it really small thinking I'm over the size limit or something...no luck! It's a jpg. Dang it I wanted to show you guys!

sandm
03-30-2016, 07:47 AM
so what is it?

Wax
03-30-2016, 08:21 AM
Well crap I was gonna say it when I showed a pic, but I've tried now from my computer and phone with no luck uploading a photo.

It's a 02 Sky Supreme V Pro

Wax
03-30-2016, 08:27 AM
Btw, I'll be selling the Outback if any of you know anybody interested!

jtatexc
03-30-2016, 10:22 AM
Hope it all works out for ya!

Wax
03-30-2016, 08:47 PM
Thanks appreciate it! Sad to not be a Moomba guy, but you never know what the future holds!