PDA

View Full Version : Another Spark Plug Question...Assault 330

CFD3Captain
03-23-2016, 10:49 PM
Man I hate asking questions that I am sure have been answered....but I have searched over an hour and can't find what I am looking for.

So I thought the manual said to replace spark plugs annually and I ordered some plugs today, but I noticed it says "check condition" So I was debating even doing it (boat has 90 hours on it) With that said, I am going to have them and if I don't do now I can at end of season or start of next.

So on to the question. The manual recommended ACDelco 41-101 which is an iridium plug and the manual says the gap is .04. From what I have read the 41-101 is pre gapped at .06 and I've read you should NOT re-gap an Iridium. So did I buy the wrong plug, is the gap listing wrong or is it false you CAN gap an iridium plug?

Thanks and I apologize if this has been talked about before. I do a lot of reading and searching and this time I gave up LOL.

kaneboats
03-24-2016, 09:32 AM
I would not change plugs till 400-500 hrs. or 4 seasons. Annually is certainly overkill.

CFD3Captain
03-24-2016, 10:06 AM
I would not change plugs till 400-500 hrs. or 4 seasons. Annually is certainly overkill.

Thanks! Again, I read it wrong. I guess I thought it was "normal" since my old Yamaha it was recommended annually. But we are talking about two totally different animals too LOL.

Still not sure if I ordered the correct plugs or about re-gapping them.

mmandley
03-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Still running same plug, haven't even cleaned and gaped them at 230hrs. I personally don't worry about them until 250hrs, then I will clean them. If your having really bad usage, lack of power, stuttering then its certainly worth looking into but even yearly cleaning and re-gaping I think is overkill.

lee
03-24-2016, 09:54 PM
In a car that plug is able to go 100,000 miles so you could easily go 250 hours before a change unless you are having problems.

mmandley
03-25-2016, 11:50 AM
In a car that plug is able to go 100,000 miles so you could easily go 250 hours before a change unless you are having problems.

I completely agree but I like to check them once in a while to make sure things look normal. Reading spark plugs can tell you alot about how well the engine tuning is doing.

kaneboats
03-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Yup. Me too. Mine are always a nice gummy black color. ;)

DOCDRS
03-25-2016, 10:56 PM
Still running same plug, haven't even cleaned and gaped them at 230hrs. I personally don't worry about them until 250hrs, then I will clean them. If your having really bad usage, lack of power, stuttering then its certainly worth looking into but even yearly cleaning and re-gaping I think is overkill.

I totally agree with Mike on this point. I hate to admit it but I am still running originals on my 09 with i don't know how many hours( prob 250 hrs) and she still does 46 mph WOT. But I do have spankers ready to go at a moments notice....and i fog each cylinder every fall.

CFD3Captain
03-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys! I am debating just hanging onto them since ACDelco has a rebate for $2 off per plug. That's a pretty good deal.....$32 for all 8 plugs :)

Okay, one question answered! Now what about this being the correct plug and the gap. :) Save me from having to ask this down the road LOL

smorris7
03-27-2016, 01:13 PM
I was told to never re-gap iridium plugs. .06 should should be fine for fuel injection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk