PDA

View Full Version : Boatmate - Pinstripe - NO!!!

KG's Supra24
03-23-2016, 02:36 PM
When ordering the boat, the trailer pinstripe questions confused me ... I gave a color that matched and moved on. I mostly assumed they would be similar to what was on the 06 trailer and no biggie.

If asked in your process of building, I'd strongly encourage you to say NO to boatmate doing pinstripes. Their quality is awful and they don't care once it passes QC.

I purchased a brand new mojo, and unfortunately (for now, until I find a fix) it looks like it sits on a mickey mouse trailer.

I do understand I may be particular about a clean appearance but I feel like the work is just shoddy. Perhaps others will feel it is acceptable? Either way, I'm posting pics so others are aware of what the option looks like.

I understand its a small detail but I don't want my beautiful skiers choice product sitting on a trailer with a 2nd graders art work on it.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/23/6d3d00270c5f0d99b3c9d87c1a55c211.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/23/a1f4739ad79e1c9ba420249d9c97532e.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/23/f95356f387c1b6d89d77ee5ad4cdebf7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

kaneboats
03-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Wow! That's bad. I wonder what it would save to order a boat without the boatmate trailer. They have angered tons of folks over the years with their policies. I'd order a custom aluminum trailer that would be better quality and probably cheaper. We will all be watching to see what they do about this mess they created.

KG's Supra24
03-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Pics aren't the greatest .... it's simply what I took the second I saw it. I wasn't anticipating the removal being any kind of issue. I'd offer to get better pics posted but I doubt I do anything but remove the stripes ASAP.

kaneboats
03-23-2016, 02:50 PM
Are they sticker or painted on?

KG's Supra24
03-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Painted ... sticker would be no biggie. Why on earth they are painting them without a qualified person is where I get lost.

Their solution was to sand them off and repaint, on my time and dime.

If they had done just one line, it wouldn't be near as bad either.

mmandley
03-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Kane these look the same as on my 08 did, might be same guy.

KG maybe you can fine a decent tape on style pin stripe to cover them up?

DFTR Josh
03-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Oh snap, I thought they were sticker... Pretty sure I chose no pin on the Craz so I can sticker up my trailer with sponsor stuff since the wife don't like much stuck to the boat.

jmvotto
03-23-2016, 03:59 PM
I would assume SC would back this or the dealer, Not like we have a choice in trailers. shoddy workmanship at best , I would tolerate that on the gelcoat and should not tolerate it baked in the trailer paint.

mmandley
03-23-2016, 04:23 PM
The thing is SC washes their hands, they don't deal with the trailers.

I was trying to find a pic of my 08 with a close up. I had pin striped front to back on the trailer but only the fenders looked cheap.

On my 08 I had cracking paint, rust leaking out on the rear section were the guide poles go into the trailer. Paint was blistered and starting to peal at all the weld points on the long steps aft of the fenders.
SC said I had to go through Boatmate.

Boat mate said the trailer is a 1 year warranty and appearance Items are not part of the warranty. Also at that time they told me the trailer is warrantied from Build date, not Sold date so since mine was a New Left over 08 when I purchased it in March 09 my trailer was out of warranty from day 1.

The only thing I have heard Boat Mate warranty was the torsion axle problem they had.

The good thing is my 13 Boat Mate trailer seems to be a lot better quality, and thankfully no pinstripes.

csm
03-23-2016, 04:29 PM
I like how they get farther apart over the tires. The quality is definitely a head scratcher.

viking
03-23-2016, 04:29 PM
Not a boatmate (a VM Trailer) but when I ordered mine I specifically asked for no pinstripes cause every pinstripe option I've seen does not look good. Guess I"m not a fan of them at all :sad:
That would drive me nuts KG so I feel for you. Hope you find an inexpensive solution?

sivs1
03-23-2016, 04:30 PM
My 06 LSV had pin stripes, from the pics I can blow up they look decent. Are they a standard option?

sivs1
03-23-2016, 04:43 PM
Just looked at pics of my SA, it has pin stripes on it as well.

jmvotto
03-23-2016, 04:46 PM
The thing is SC washes their hands, they don't deal with the trailers.

Really that's horse shit!, They pick the trailer company to carry there boats and they include the price with the boat , so I really don't think they can wash their hands of it, kind of like the engines, props etc.

mmandley
03-23-2016, 05:01 PM
Really that's horse shit!, They pick the trailer company to carry there boats and they include the price with the boat , so I really don't think they can wash their hands of it, kind of like the engines, props etc.

I get you bro, but when I had my 08 issue I went to my Dealer, then SC directly and they said all issues with the Boat Mate trailers have to be handed through Boat Mate.

Badfoot
03-23-2016, 07:04 PM
I'm probably not going to say anything that hasn't already been said but hopefully if enough of us chime in Boatmate/SC might stand up and take responsibility to their shoddy workmanship. I would be embarrassed for letting something like this leave the factory with my name on it. Glad I didn't get stripes on mine.
Good luck with the correction.

jmvotto
03-23-2016, 09:06 PM
I would drop the boat back at the dealer and get my $$$ back otherwise they could talk to my lawyer ..

beat taco
03-23-2016, 09:53 PM
Send the pics to prez of boatmate, how the hell does that look acceptable. My 9 y/o could do better with crayons.

brain_rinse
03-23-2016, 10:26 PM
Not to and insult to injury, but why is there so much wheel gap?

zabooda
03-23-2016, 10:52 PM
Even when I bought my 1998 Moomba there was quality problems discussed on this website on the Boatmate trailers. I think they are being used out of convenience as they are co-located. I always thought Boatmate trailers didn't help SC with sales.

BrettLee3232
03-23-2016, 11:25 PM
Wow that's just horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
03-23-2016, 11:38 PM
Appreciate the thoughts, guys. I didn't think I was too off base with expectations. Boat is at Dusty's so a final solution won't be soon.

Dan, the wheel gap was definitely a bummer and I suppose it was a lack of research on my part. I believe it is the difference between leaf and torsion. I had to replace the torsion axle on the 06 trailer, which I believe they stopped warrantying the year after Mike mentioned having the same repair (lots of trailers did). I'm pretty sure I paid for my axle and I swapped it. Anyways, I went with leaf this go around. I believe the wheels are the factory 14's, I did not do an upgrade.

I didn't put a lot extra's into the trailer and the difference shows vs some of the pics I've seen posted recently.

KG's Supra24
03-23-2016, 11:40 PM
Complete trailer

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160323/64c9ce224eda478ffc05bd9df99eb03c.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160323/24d1fe6226d41d6c54fde7906ccf3792.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

brain_rinse
03-23-2016, 11:44 PM
Appreciate the thoughts, guys. I didn't think I was too off base with expectations. Boat is at Dusty's so a final solution won't be soon.

Dan, the wheel gap was definitely a bummer and I suppose it was a lack of research on my part. I believe it is the difference between leaf and torsion. I had to replace the torsion axle on the 06 trailer, which I believe they stopped warrantying the year after Mike mentioned having the same repair (lots of trailers did). I'm pretty sure I paid for my axle and I swapped it. Anyways, I went with leaf this go around. I believe the wheels are the factory 14's, I did not do an upgrade.

I didn't put a lot extra's into the trailer and the difference shows vs some of the pics I've seen posted recently.
I went and looked at the full pics you posted earlier of the boat on the trailer and it is stunning! I'd want the pinstripes removed too, but the whole thing looks good and I wouldn't worry about it much. You'll be behind the boat and the trailer will be the furthest thing from your mind. NICE BOAT!

Edit: you posted the pics! Like I said, nice boat!

russellsmojo
03-24-2016, 08:59 AM
Sweet boat!! Love a black boat! With a boat that good looking no one will be looking at the pinstripes!8)

kaneboats
03-24-2016, 09:21 AM
Went and looked at my '08 trailer again. It has pinstripes front to back in straight lines and ones that follow the wheel wells. They are perfect. Makes me wonder how this happened.

jmvotto
03-24-2016, 09:53 AM
Went and looked at my '08 trailer again. It has pinstripes front to back in straight lines and ones that follow the wheel wells. They are perfect. Makes me wonder how this happened.

looked at my 12 trailer in pics never realized I had pin stripes but they are straight as well. the boat looks sick BTW, they should at least give you a credit of some sort if they are unwilling to fix

DFTR Josh
03-24-2016, 10:40 AM
Taking off from the subject a little... When you picked up the boat it was raining and you were towing with the cover on. How did the black under the rub rail hold up with the cover rubbing on it? I can't wait to see this boat in the water, looks great and all on the trailer but all black on the water is on a whole other level.

mmandley
03-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Not to and insult to injury, but why is there so much wheel gap?

That is standard issue on Spring axles, it allows the boat trailer clearance to move with the suspension.

Trust me it needs it, I hit a nasty patch going to and from Powell on the temporary highway they build, it was ruff on my truck and you can see where the shekels hit the trailer frame from the boat bouncing so much. I even slowed to lower then 50 on a 60mph road. This was also the same time I think my tires separated and caused me to have to buy 4 new tires on my way back to OR.

IMP the Spring trailer rides so much nicer when pulling it. A lot less jerking on the truck, but the drawback is at the ramp i can hear the suspension squeaking, and you have more wheel gap.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/DSC_0188_zps57733f60.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/DSC_0188_zps57733f60.jpg.html)

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Moomba%20Mojo/20130226_110845_zps293e6c61.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Moomba%20Mojo/20130226_110845_zps293e6c61.jpg.html)

KG's Supra24
03-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Mike, I really like the stainless stepping areas on the top of yours.

The traction pads they put on mine look as cheap as whats on the swim platform and walk thru :-o

KG's Supra24
03-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Thanks again for the compliments from everyone.

Josh, I think like Mike mentioned in another thread ... it's going to cause some scuffing. Boat was absolutely filthy when I made it to TX so I didn't look super close but did see some marks.

I guess I got used to my evolution cover and wasn't even thinking about it. Speaking of, I'm sure my evolution cover is still laying in the bow of the boat, not on the boat, since the day I dropped it off dealer (through multiple thunderstorms and all) :mad:

Boat was also wet inside when I got to TX ... not sure if it's from the dealer not caring about covering when in their possession or the cover not doing it's job.

DFTR Josh
03-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Speaking of, I'm sure my evolution cover is still laying in the bow of the boat, not on the boat, since the day I dropped it off dealer (through multiple thunderstorms and all)
Could be worse and get a call this week from the new owner saying your old boat was part of the Portland fire and completely destroyed :-?

beat taco
03-24-2016, 12:31 PM
My friend lost his older but nice Cobalt, he didn't keep it insured due to the low value.

JASONZ
03-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Did you post those pinstripes pics on boatmate facebook page? I would def do that.

KG's Supra24
03-25-2016, 09:48 AM
I have not. I really did not anticipate an issue with getting a fix so I didn't even get great pics.

Although it felt like I received Boatmates final answer, SC offered to push on them a little. I'll see what comes of it. I hate to believe that posting to social media yields a different result.

wolfeman131
03-25-2016, 10:58 AM
please update your avatar!

dusty2221
03-25-2016, 11:08 AM
yeah kyle. you should get some more pics up too.

trayson
03-25-2016, 11:26 AM
Not the best pic, but my pinstripes are only on the frame rails, not the fenders. so they didn't have to do anything but a straight line.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UCeXYKQyzdM/VR6reEriezI/AAAAAAAAYh4/D1GC5TuCnYY3eFl6PnkJ1ynC3LW-NXi3gCCo/s800-Ic42/20150402_181831.jpg

I think your solution is obvious... get a bunch of Amber LED strip lighting and put that between the pinstripes. with the amber lit up as clearance lighting, no one will ever see your wonky pinstripes! And MOAR LED!!!!!!!!!

RickT
03-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Kyle,

I have forwarded the thread to Boatmate and asked for an update/explanation. My apologies.

Rick

DFTR Josh
03-25-2016, 11:37 AM
^^ That's pretty awesome coming from the man himself ^^ Skiers Choice for the WIN!

mmandley
03-25-2016, 11:45 AM
Tinker has always been on the job. He is always reading these forums and helping move things alone when needed.

One of the reasons when it came time to upgrade my LSV to the Mojo, I seriously had no intentions on changing brands, I just had to shop the others to know I was making the best choice. When it comes to service I still believe SC is #1

RickT
03-25-2016, 01:13 PM
No win....just encouraging Boatmate to look back into this. I think they are closed on Good Friday.

KG's Supra24
03-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Kyle,

I have forwarded the thread to Boatmate and asked for an update/explanation. My apologies.

Rick

I'm unsure why they couldn't provide an update/explanation to the dealer or either employee that has checked in with them but I certainly appreciate your time and thought. To be fair, they did provide a response to me upon original questioning.

Thanks again.

KG's Supra24
03-25-2016, 03:11 PM
Boatmate reached out and is working towards a solution that works for both of us.

KG's Supra24
03-25-2016, 04:45 PM
I should also mention (to follow up on the point of the thread) that Boatmate indicated the pics I posted here of the pinstripes are not what they expect to roll out of the factory and these were flawed.

I, like Viking mentioned, would prefer no pinstripes but it's a style preference. For those that like pinstripes, Boatmate assured me their final product is better than the pics shown here.

ian ashton
03-26-2016, 09:36 AM

That's funny - EXACT same thing I did - experienced '08 torsion axle failure, paid for labor to replace it, ordered my '13 with leafs because of it.

My '13 does not have wheel gap like that...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uncsgngtpy34tt2/photo%20aug%2023%2C%2012%2024%2035%20pm.jpg?dl=1

I think the trailer credit (i.e. Discount for not buying a trailer) was like $1,000 when I bought my boat, and this definitely feels like a $1,000 trailer.

Overall quality is lacking, the paint is super thin in places, some gross welds. Overall, I'm not a fan on BoatMate, but it was a purchase of convenience.

KG's Supra24
03-26-2016, 10:51 AM
I dig your style though ;)

seftonm
03-26-2016, 09:13 PM
FWIW - I was browsing around at the dealer today and they had two Boatmate trailers with pinstripes, they didn't look as bad as this one but I woudn't have called it a good job either. It seems like they are consistently bad.

deerfield
03-26-2016, 09:33 PM
This is a fender on the Boatmate trailer which came with the Outback I bought in 2007. Pinstripe is perfect here, on the other fender, and on both frame rails. Very satisfied.