PDA

View Full Version : Bilge area

p_xayamath
03-21-2016, 10:46 AM
Hi Guys, first time boat owner of a 03 Outback. Just had a quick question on the bilge area. How do water get inside the area? What is normal pumping of the bilge? Sorry for the newbie questions

gregski
03-21-2016, 12:10 PM
Lots of ways! Water can get into the bilge anywhere there is a hull penetration, things like: drive shaft, rudder, thru-hulls (ballast), etc. From a leak in the cooling system. Or from above, like if you take a roller over the bow.

The drive shaft is the most likely source. By design, the seal there leaks a little water in order to lubricate/cool the shaft seal but it should just be an occasional drip, anything more than that needs adjustment or service of that packing seal.

If you have excess water coming in, you need to identify the source. Many will only present themselves with the engine running and others only while underway. (the shaft seal may not leak if the shaft isn't turning). I would have someone else drive while you look for leaks, start with the shaft and cooling system, hoses, clamps, etc. - usually it becomes pretty obvious. (Just be careful since the pulleys and belts are turning.)

jtatexc
03-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Lots of ways! Water can get into the bilge anywhere there is a hull penetration, things like: drive shaft, rudder, thru-hulls (ballast), etc. From a leak in the cooling system. Or from above, like if you take a roller over the bow.

The drive shaft is the most likely source. By design, the seal there leaks a little water in order to lubricate/cool the shaft seal but it should just be an occasional drip, anything more than that needs adjustment or service of that packing seal.

If you have excess water coming in, you need to identify the source. Many will only present themselves with the engine running and others only while underway. (the shaft seal may not leak if the shaft isn't turning). I would have someone else drive while you look for leaks, start with the shaft and cooling system, hoses, clamps, etc. - usually it becomes pretty obvious. (Just be careful since the pulleys and belts are turning.)
I had that same issue with the packing seal on my last boat! Pretty frustrating! Ultimately found it when I had my wife drive forward while I laid in the locker looking to see where it came from and it was spitting bad from the seal. Allen wrench and adjustment later good as new! Time before that I had the upper water pump on the back of the motor develop a small crack and needed to be replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk