PDA

View Full Version : Swamping the nose and top speed

simcoemoomba
07-03-2006, 11:59 AM
I keep burying the nose when I cut back on the throttle to nutral and swamp the boat. I can compensate a bit by gassing it before it happens but eventually water comes pouring over the nose.

Also the top speed is only hitting 32-35 MPH. Had the engine tuned up last week and am wondering if the two are related....could the pitch of the prob be off slowing the boat down and kicking the nose down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

zabooda
07-03-2006, 12:17 PM
I've had problems with both issues with my 1998 Mobius. I get water over the bow with people in the front and dropping the boat speed down to idle along with wave action. I fixed that by reversing the engine when the bow comed down as when I am floating and not moving I don't have that problem so I reverse the engine so I don't have a forward speed. If you get water in the boat then you need to pump it outwith the bidge which slows you down. I recently reworked the linkage to the engine and I got much more movement. The speed and RPMs are now higher but not excessive.

JoeTechie
07-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Usually this is from dropping from plane to zero too quickly - you create a wake which lifts the stern of the boat thus plowing the nose into the water. Try slowing down more gently, then once you are off of plane, you can cut it completly. It takes some getting used too. I have never had to reverse to do this. You also want to be careful of turning while slowing down - that one I think everyone knows about and has done before... makes any bow passenger very upset... or just very wet.

-J

Catdog1
07-04-2006, 05:32 AM
Balancing people and gear in the boat to match the lake conditions helps us alot.

Still, if the lake is rough, its a constant headgame to keep from getting swamped across the bow. Worst is returning for a skier and getting hit with your own wake. Gotta angle it and return slowly.

A few weeks ago I took a wave over the stern. That was real scary because it was a whole lot of water.

Regarding speed, we can run around 41 max. Might be able to squeeze-out a few more, but am afraid of overrevving. Am staying well below 4400 rpm, and then only for short periods of time. I tell the crew if they want to go fast on the water, go in something else. This boat's designed for 40.

Catdog1
07-04-2006, 05:35 AM
Umm, what does the tachometer read at 32 to 35 mph? Thats what we really need to know to help diagnose.

simcoemoomba
07-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Really appreciate all the help, thanks! The tachometer unfortunately isn't working and I have a replacement on order. I've gone beside another boat that has confirmed the speed at top end of 34 MPH.

Wolf-
07-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by simcoemoomba
Really appreciate all the help, thanks! The tachometer unfortunately isn't working and I have a replacement on order. I've gone beside another boat that has confirmed the speed at top end of 34 MPH.

Had my best top end yesterday (according to GPS)
45 even. 310 carbed Outback.