PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Mobius

Newguy
03-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Hello everyone, I am currently looking at picking up a '99 Mobius 20". As this will be my first boat I am a little worried about a couple things. There is water coming in the engine bay from 2 places and am worried if this is something to worry about enough to avoid the purchase. The first place is from the hoses on the front, it's definitely more than a drip and the second place is from the what I am assuming is the shaft seal towards the back, also leaking at a borderline stream. Any insight from you guys would be helpful. Thanks

kaneboats
03-20-2016, 11:41 AM
Hoses on the front are probably cooling hoses. That should be taken care of. Engine may have overheated. Be careful with this one. Get her checked over.

The shaft seal leaking is not a big deal. May be able to just tighten the jam nut and get it to weep instead of stream. It is supposed to drip once or twice a minute to stay lubricated. Too much means it likely needs a new shaft packing. Anybody can do this. Instructions are available on this board.

Newguy
03-20-2016, 12:02 PM
Hoses on the front are probably cooling hoses. That should be taken care of. Engine may have overheated. Be careful with this one. Get her checked over.

The shaft seal leaking is not a big deal. May be able to just tighten the jam nut and get it to weep instead of stream. It is supposed to drip once or twice a minute to stay lubricated. Too much means it likely needs a new shaft packing. Anybody can do this. Instructions are available on this board.

Yea I am thinking maybe just old hoses easy to replace. I read through the shaft seal replacement and seems pretty DIY. Could there be another possibility if its not the seal? something that may be more than a $6 and some elbow grease fix?

lee
03-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Yea I am thinking maybe just old hoses easy to replace. I read through the shaft seal replacement and seems pretty DIY. Could there be another possibility if its not the seal? something that may be more than a $6 and some elbow grease fix?

The jam nut either needs to be adjusted or the packing replaced which would be a $20 part purchase.

zabooda
03-21-2016, 03:39 AM
The end of the hoses get worn and frayed from being removed for winterization. Repacking requires removing the floor which is a PITA. Use good quality cord and avoid wax cord as it wears out much faster. Twelfth year with graphite cord with one adjust. Almost as good as frictionless bearings. Another source of water intrusion are the pitot hoses from the speedo pickups. I don't see anything major.