PDA

View Full Version : Waxing/Buffing

rdlangston13
03-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Hey guys, so I have never waxed or polished anything myself but I am wanting to get into it so
I can keep our vehicles (boat included) looking fly. My question is, do electronic buffers need to be variable speed? I've been looking at one on Amazon, a 6" black and decker orbital but it's only got one speed, would that be ok?

Sent from my iPhone

mmandley
03-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Orbital buffers are really only good for waxing a car and or removing very light issues.

The point of the variable is to allows you to use different types of waxes, compounds and such.

I have both an orbital and a variable, and i tried the Variable once on the Vette and I left buffer burns on the car, so I stopped and said I need teaching LOL.

I have used it a couple times on the boat for water spots and scratches and had better luck but I know my skills are very limited with them.

brain_rinse
03-19-2016, 05:12 PM
I think you will want the variable speed. I've got quite a few hours on one of these and I'm really happy with it. http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46

With a dual action like the PC you would have to really try to mess something up.

ghebert1111
03-19-2016, 05:13 PM
There was a thread recently that discussed just using boat bling products and not doing the standard polishing/waxing. Now I'm old school, and I had just polished and waxed my boat but I'm gonna try the boat blind the this year. No need to kill myself if their products do the trick. Now if your set on old school you need something like a Porter Cable 7424. That's what I use and it used to be the gold standard but there are a lot of new dual action orbital polishers out there now.

mmandley
03-19-2016, 05:28 PM
I use the boat stuff after every trip but at the end of the year I still have small water spots.

I bought one of these end of the summer and tried it on my Vette and man, its sweet, but it does remove wax and everything from you finish. Its just like using a clay bar but reusable and simpler IMO.

I have been meaning to try it on the boat for water spots but haven't had the boat out to wash it. Soon though.

http://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-016-AutoScrub-Fine-Grade/dp/B00DOS0LH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458422784&sr=8-1&keywords=chemical+guys+clay+mitt

rdlangston13
03-19-2016, 06:13 PM
I think you will want the variable speed. I've got quite a few hours on one of these and I'm really happy with it. http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46

With a dual action like the PC you would have to really try to mess something up.

At that price it won't happen. I'll be stuck with elbow grease.

The boat bling stuff works well but even the quickie sauce would be a much easier application with a powered buffer.

Sent from my iPhone

Connolly_Crew
03-19-2016, 11:00 PM
Polish with Menzerna 400. Then use a couple coats of Menzerna Power lock sealant. This will do better and last longer than a carnuba wax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brain_rinse
03-19-2016, 11:08 PM
At that price it won't happen. I'll be stuck with elbow grease.

The boat bling stuff works well but even the quickie sauce would be a much easier application with a powered buffer.

Sent from my iPhone
Cheaper option: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-57-amp-heavy-duty-dual-action-variable-speed-polisher-69924.html

ghebert1111
03-20-2016, 12:00 AM
Polish with Menzerna 400. Then use a couple coats of Menzerna Power lock sealant. This will do better and last longer than a carnuba wax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I thought I was the only Menzerna guy. I actually use Collinite 845 Insulator Wax now a days. Started using it on my skis down in Florida and it works pretty well.

viking
03-20-2016, 10:39 AM
I would agree the porter cable 7424 is the ticket. Autogeek.net has some package deals that gets you everything you need including the variable orbital and Lake Country pads. Been extremely happy with mine.

996scott
03-20-2016, 12:00 PM
i've been using porter cable 7424 for 10+ years with different pads on boats and cars and it works great. you can use it from just a quick clean up/polish to a pretty major paint corrections.