PDA

View Full Version : Boat garage

mmandley
03-11-2016, 03:57 PM
I am looking at homes on the water, and some I see with these garages facing the water.

I am thinking there must be a winching system to pull the boat up into them.

Anyone know a site, videos, or something so I can learn more about how this type of set up works?

Basically the garage is sitting on the land, but the roll up door is on the waters side, looks like some have 2 rails into the water but I can't seem to find more info on this type of thing to understand how it works.

Thanks.

jmvotto
03-11-2016, 04:09 PM
here you go mike, its a boat house.

http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com/lifts07/roll-a-rail.html

mmandley
03-11-2016, 04:22 PM
awesome thanks

wolfeman131
03-11-2016, 04:28 PM
For the lakes you're looking at, those are old school & grandfathered. There is a rail system and you load the boat on a cradle, almost like your trailer. A winch in the building pulls the everything in.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jmvotto
03-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Drew has extra room at his dock......

chester
03-11-2016, 04:39 PM
It is likely different in other states, but I know in Wisconsin at least that it is like wolfeman said. They are grandfathered in and you are limited to how much you can do to them too. Be sure to check local building codes and such. They are very popular where I grew up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viking
03-11-2016, 04:45 PM
So does that mean no new rail/winch systems can't be put in anymore? Doesn't seem like there is a reason to NOT allow them versus a dock/lift.
Personally I'd rather have a boat house up and off the lake to keep the boat versus a lift over the water.

chester
03-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Again, only know for Wisconsin, but I believe the closest a new permanent structure can be is 75' from the normal waterline. So you could likely have a rail run to that structure, but that is a lot of rail. Personally I'd check out these. Looks pretty slick and gets rid of the ugly lift.
http://noprofileboatlifts.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmandley
03-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Cool thanks guys, I have really only seen 3 homes with these garages at the water line and I was curious how they operate. I would love to have the garage aspect to put the boat in.

These homes also have a Dock but its a platform dock.

Other wise all the homes have a regular dock with a roof and I can add a floating air lift system to raise the boat up out of the water.

As for Drew Dock space, If i was on his lake it would be cool to use it if i was visiting, but I want my own dock and lift in my own backyard, not his lol.

mjr119
03-14-2016, 03:43 PM
They are old school and grandfathered in on my lake, as well. We do not have one but the neighbors do.

Like everyone else said, it is pretty much a way to pull your boat in and out on the trailer without using a tow vehicle.

It's weird because to get your trailer into the boat house, you leave it attached to your boat, transom straps still attached, and motor around to the front of the boat house and crank it up into the building. That is for the first time of course. I saw my neighbors do it and I was like wtf they forgot to take the boat off of the trailer. haha.

Not sure I would want one over a lift at the dock. It does offer better protection.

kaneboats
03-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Reminds me of an old blond joke:

During late spring one year, a blonde was trying out her new boat. She was unable to have her boat perform, travel through water, or do any maneuvers whatsoever no matter how hard she tried.

After trying for over three days to make it work properly, she decided to seek help. She putted the boat over to the local marina in hopes that someone there could identify her problem.

Workers determined that everything from the engine to the outdrive was working perfectly on the topside of the boat. So, a puzzled marina employee jumped into the water to check underneath the boat for problems. Because he was laughing so hard, he came up choking on water and gasping for air. Under the boat, still strapped in place securely, was the trailer.