PDA

View Full Version : Boat lift bunks carpet vs vinyl???

Jrichard1987
03-10-2016, 11:21 PM
I just purchased a used boat lift which has vinyl bunks on instead of carpet. It's a smooth vinyl unlike the grooved gatorbak style. I was planning on covering it with carpet to be safe but on the other hand thinking it should be better to not have any sand or grit ever stick to it to scratch the hull... Anyone out their have experience with vinyl bunks???

Jordan
2014 moomba möbius lsv

yukon2007
03-10-2016, 11:34 PM
I by chance am the exclusive distributor for Gatorbak in all of Canada. Go to our site at www.gatorbak.com
It is very informative and has supportive testimonials. We have recently become endorsed by BassCatBoats and soon will be the bunk cover of choice in the OEM trailer market. Contact our Minnesota office and tell them Quest Ventures sent them your way.
My two boat lifts and boat trailers all have Gatorbak. I would not settle for anything less and if I didn't believe in the product I never would have brought it into my company.

mmandley
03-11-2016, 01:06 PM
I have no experience with Gatorbak but I know I HATE HATE the carpet on my trailer bunks. I am always pulling stuff off of it, weeds, and other floating debris near the dock.

My only concern would be how slippery is the Gatorbak when its wet. I want something that can release the boat when its wet yet its easy to clean. It looks easy to clean though.

Carpet on my bunks put scratches in my hull and I hate that.

yukon2007
03-11-2016, 01:31 PM
It is slippery when wet and no need to clean as nothing sticks. I do not recommend it if your dry loading.
If some are interested I can provide a 10% discount to their order. I need the dimensions of the lumber including the length. PM me for a quote.
BTW OEM manufactures will soon be using them on $200 000 plus boats and they wouldn't be doing that if it was not worthy.

zabooda
03-11-2016, 02:08 PM
We did remove the vinyl bunks from the dive rescue Zodiac boats (much lighter boats) years ago as the boats slide off the trailer without any attachment points but then we were do a splash and dash with all attachments off which is different than a conventional launch. Just remember to latch the winch as that is the only thing keeping the boat on the trailer .

mmandley
03-11-2016, 02:11 PM
It is slippery when wet and no need to clean as nothing sticks. I do not recommend it if your dry loading.
If some are interested I can provide a 10% discount to their order. I need the dimensions of the lumber including the length. PM me for a quote.
BTW OEM manufactures will soon be using them on $200 000 plus boats and they wouldn't be doing that if it was not worthy.

Not sure what you mean Dry loading.

I dunk my trailer deep then pull up to the proper depth when loading.
When Launching I just back the trailer down until the rear of the boat floats, crank up the engine, then wife backs down a couple feet to launch the boat off the trailer.

yukon2007
03-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Dry loading= not backing your trailer in far enough and expecting the winch to bring the boat up. There are those who aren't able to back in far enough because of launch pad design and fear of filling up their differential with water.

Jrichard1987
03-11-2016, 06:43 PM
Awesome info thanks Yukon! I really like the fact that the manufacturers are going to start putting it oem on their trailers!

Jordan
2014 moomba möbius lsv