PDA

View Full Version : Brigade wakesurf boards

Ironcross25
03-08-2016, 11:24 PM
Has anyone rode brigade boards? Stumbled across them on the web. I was planing on a doomswell but saw their site and was intrigued.

sandm
03-09-2016, 09:20 AM
brigade was started by a young guy out in emmett idaho. learned how to shape and build from jeff whalers at soulcraft.
have not ridden any but seen them and my perceptions were quality on par with any other custom board builder.

trayson
03-09-2016, 01:02 PM
I've ridden one. the model I rode didn't thrill me, but it probably wasn't the optimal size/shape for me.

Anyone that knows me is well aware that I LOVE my doomswell.

Ironcross25
03-09-2016, 07:13 PM
thanks. I think I'm still going with doomswell. Im between the drone and nubsteb. Im not going custom. just going to buy what they have pre done. drone is 4'10 and the nub step is 5'0. talked to brock for a while today and he was thinking the drone since it would be a little closer to the size of what they would build a custom for me is.

trayson, what model do you ride?

trayson
03-09-2016, 07:37 PM
thanks. I think I'm still going with doomswell. Im between the drone and nubsteb. Im not going custom. just going to buy what they have pre done. drone is 4'10 and the nub step is 5'0. talked to brock for a while today and he was thinking the drone since it would be a little closer to the size of what they would build a custom for me is.

I am 5'10 and about 165 to 170 pounds. I've only ever ridden two Doomswells. the first was a 4'4 drone and I loved it. it was a blast to ride. when I had my board custom made for me, I went with a nubstep that was 4'6 and have been very happy with it. Yes, I've had friends that are a bit heavier (200+, 220+, etc) struggle a bit on my 4'6 board.

of course the 3 big factors that come into play are Board, Wave, and rider skill. you can have better in some areas to compensate for less in other areas. For example: I love my board, and it's fast enough that I've been able to have a blast on lesser waves. My wave is pretty decent on my XLV and it's been enough to compensate for some riders that are newer. I'm pretty comfortable on about any board and have used that to actually prove that I could freeride on my son's 3'9" phase5 Scamp!

I know that a longer board will certainly accommodate lower experience levels and heavier riders. But that will come at the expense of having the 'perfect' board sized for you sometimes. Would I have fun on a doomswell that's 4'10 to 5'? Probably so. Maybe just not as much as I have on my 4'6

muehlcj
03-09-2016, 08:46 PM

Based on your signature you have '12 mojo. So you have a boat that's capable of throwing a good size wave with great push. So let's take wave out of the equation. What are your stats? Height? Weight? What boards have you ridden before? What did you like? What didn't you like? What are your riding goals? Big turns and slashes? 360's? Airs? Just cruise and footwork?

jmvotto
03-09-2016, 08:52 PM
I have a drone. 4 8. Unless you are a really big guy 230 plus then then go 4 10 or 5

I love my drone. But like to ride other boards as well between our crew I think we have 10 to 15 to choose from ��

muehlcj
03-09-2016, 09:28 PM
I have a drone. 4 8. Unless you are a really big guy 230 plus then then go 4 10 or 5

I love my drone. But like to ride other boards as well between our crew I think we have 10 to 15 to choose from ��

Yeah someone can't stop buying boards. Might be an addiction.

Ironcross25
03-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Based on your signature you have '12 mojo. So you have a boat that's capable of throwing a good size wave with great push. So let's take wave out of the equation. What are your stats? Height? Weight? What boards have you ridden before? What did you like? What didn't you like? What are your riding goals? Big turns and slashes? 360's? Airs? Just cruise and footwork?

I'm 5'9 192. I go between 185 and 195 throughout the year. I'm currently on a 5'0 of fish and that's all I've rode. I'm at the point where I can ride the wave and stay in pocket but when I loose it too much I can't recover, usually if I make a hard carve I fall back to far to recover. I'm looking to progress into slashes and airs and maybe 360's at some point.

trayson
03-10-2016, 12:10 PM
I would think that you'd be best with about a 4'8.

I've rode a 5'0" fish and if you're comfortable on that, you'll really enjoy the doomswell. it's going to be a lot faster and you'll have an easier time not falling off the wave.

muehlcj
03-10-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm 5'9 192. I go between 185 and 195 throughout the year. I'm currently on a 5'0 of fish and that's all I've rode. I'm at the point where I can ride the wave and stay in pocket but when I loose it too much I can't recover, usually if I make a hard carve I fall back to far to recover. I'm looking to progress into slashes and airs and maybe 360's at some point.

I would say for your size a 4'-6" - 4'-8" surf style board would be large enough for sure. I wouldn't be scared to go full custom. Talk the the shapers and let them know what kind of riding you want to progress into. Start with an outline that have then make adjustments. For example a blunt nose 4'-6" board will straighten the rail and ride with the speed of a standard nose 4'-8" board.

The two boards you are suggesting are advertised as having flat bottoms and less rocker so more is a skim style base with a surf style shape and a hybrid to skim rail profile. Going to be a bit more skate like depending on fin size and location.

IMO commit to one style surf or skim
Surf
Stay within .25" tail rocker and 1/2" and 2" - 2.75" nose rocker on surf style. Board should be 1.75" - 2.5" thick. 20" or so wide. The rail profile is going to vary depending shaper but the last 18"-24" should be a hard rail. The base should be flat nose transitions to a single or double concave that fades slightly through tail.

Skim should have little nose rocker and no tail rocker. 1" or less thick. Rail be will hard nose to tail. Skim bottom will be flat.

My recommendation would be to go custom, talk to the shapers at which ever company you chose. Stay 4'-8" or less. They can all make a combinstion of changes to give you what you want and they won't let you do something stupid either.

I would consider throwing soulcraft and chaos in the mix as well. Both top notch.

Ironcross25
03-11-2016, 06:55 PM
got it. thanks. I got some deciding to do on a board. either way, I think I will be better off than what Im riding now.