PDA

View Full Version : Möbius LSV slung a rod. Now what

joshdv
03-08-2016, 12:52 AM
Back in December in my 2001 Möbius V with Indmar 350 EFI with 520 hours I decided to go out one more time on the boat, after I already had everything put up and stored for the winter. One of my friends jinxed me and said boats always tend to mess up when it's colder out. So as we are cruising around at about 3000 RPM it clunked and I immediately shut it off. White smoke coming from the engine compartment, oil everywhere. I start feeling around trying to see where the oil is coming from and feel a hole in the backside of the motor.

What is the best plan of action? I have been quoted anywhere from $7500-8000 for replacement w/ 3 year warranty from moomba dealer, $5500 for refurbished (I think, can't remember). That's the only two places I have checked. None of these shops have seen the boat, just going by what I've told them. What should I expect to pay and what should I do going forward?

I'm not entirely sure how long I plan on keeping he boat, so the 3 year warranty doesn't excite me too much other than when I tell a buyer it has a warranty.

MLA
03-08-2016, 01:04 AM
Your december ride didnt cause the rod to throw, so what did? Oil starvation, overheating, water in cycl? Would suck to put in a new engine and bolt up the old manifolds and one it cracked and leaking. Engines can be repaired and sometimes for less. However, a reman long block can save a ton of down time.

joshdv
03-08-2016, 01:26 AM
I am definitely going to say oil starvation. It had been having relatively low oil pressure while idling, but once it got up to speed it would look normal. Didn't think it was too out of ordinary to fluctuate like that, but was going to get it checked out before this season came up :-|

kaneboats
03-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Ditch that friend. He's definitely a jinx. Make him pay the bill. :p

I would probably order a reman block as suggested and start tearing her down. I've wondered where I could pull an engine if I had to. Probably use my friend's son's shop on a Sunday. Hope I never have to do it though.

joshdv
03-08-2016, 11:13 AM
I don't think I know enough to tear this down. You think I should start calling shops and just ask for a remanufactured block with replacement? Versus all these places trying to sell me new engines and full refurbished engines..

mmandley
03-08-2016, 11:19 AM
That engine was checking out either way. Low oil pressure is like low heart rate. You made her run hard and gave her no life blood. You should see 40PSi all the time up to 60+ running.
My boat runs 50-70 PSI all the time.
My Vette with a SB 350 and 140K miles runs at 80 PSI

Your best options depend on your goals.

Would you feel all warm and fuzzy with a Brand new everything?
Are you ok with re-using parts?
Do you want more power then stock?
Are you doing the work or is a shop?

I can only speak if it was me who did this.
I would buy a NEW block and all the internals.
I would take it an Engine builder, get a nicer cam made for more torque in the Mid range.
I would go with Aluminum heads

Then at this point have the engine dynoed so I know the power with a certified dyno sheet. This is good for resale to prove you have the power you are saying you do.

Going this route will save you over Dealer New but have a better setup IMO.

This route isnt cheap, nothing about a Boat Engine is cheap but you might as well make the best of it while you can.

joshdv
03-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Thanks for all that info! Definitely don't care to go brand new everything, maybe if I was keeping the boat for years and years, but will probably upgrade to something next year or so. I'd be completely fine with same power as stock, I don't care for surfing much so the most I weight the boat down is about 1800 lbs and it has done great for wakeboarding. I will definitely not be doing the work myself, I have friends that know alot about motors, but then again is this too big of a job to trust with anyone but a shop?

From what people are saying remanufactured block would be the best bet. Would that include (or need to include) the head as well? Basically intake, starter, exhaust, and everything else would be swapped over?

mmandley
03-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all that info! Definitely don't care to go brand new everything, maybe if I was keeping the boat for years and years, but will probably upgrade to something next year or so. I'd be completely fine with same power as stock, I don't care for surfing much so the most I weight the boat down is about 1800 lbs and it has done great for wakeboarding. I will definitely not be doing the work myself, I have friends that know alot about motors, but then again is this too big of a job to trust with anyone but a shop?

From what people are saying remanufactured block would be the best bet. Would that include (or need to include) the head as well? Basically intake, starter, exhaust, and everything else would be swapped over?

If your going stock then Reman is the way to go.
Make sure its a Marine Engine though.
Depending on where you get the engine it will come with everything, its its certified and already been ran and everything its pretty much add extra parts < starter alt, water system > and go.

If you don't know the true condition then you need to pull it apart.

If you buy a Complete Reman then you can resale the heads, intake off your older engine to re-coup a little costs.

parrothd
03-08-2016, 12:07 PM
Reman, for sure.. Just depends do you want to reuse old parts and get just the block or a complete setup, or semi complete engine. That comes down to budget. I'd go with the complete setup, a lot easier and less worry down the road, pull the old one and drop the new one in..

MLA
03-08-2016, 12:36 PM

A reman engine long block is what you want, providing the manifolds and risers are ok. There will likely be a core on the reman, so they take your old engine back. Ye basically swap manifolds, risers, intake, ignition, raw water, possibly valve cover and oil pan. Few other little things. Yoe get block with its guts, heads and all assembled.

If you are going to have a shop do the swap, ask them for a parts and labor package price.

kaneboats
03-08-2016, 12:49 PM
A reman engine long block is what you want, providing the manifolds and risers are ok. There will likely be a core on the reman, so they take your old engine back. Ye basically swap manifolds, risers, intake, ignition, raw water, possibly valve cover and oil pan. Few other little things. Yoe get block with its guts, heads and all assembled.

If you are going to have a shop do the swap, ask them for a parts and labor package price.

This is definitely the way to go if you are not going to tackle it. This boat is 15 y/o. I might even consider trying to sell or trade it. Definitely would not be putting a new engine in it at this point. Heck, I might even go looking for a stock one out of a boat junkyard at this age. Boat accidents and claims happen and there are good motors out there. Harder to switch than an outboard but easy to run and check them out.

mjr119
03-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Maabco motors for reman engines. I bought a fresh short block for $1000 shipped to my door. They also sell long blocks and complete engines. It's really not a bad job if you have the time. It takes time though that's for sure! Remove everything that's in the way, label parts, bolts, hoses, wires etc.

As for pulling my engine, I used a tree in my backyard and a come - along. Ghetto, I know, but hey it worked.

kaneboats
03-09-2016, 11:37 AM
We used aluminum stepladders and scaffolding with a comealong to pull the motor out of an old buick one time. Another time we reinforced the joists in my uncle's garage and pulled a junk one out of his old I/O. Gotta be water motivated.

zabooda
03-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Another option is to sell it since you have plans to replace the boat in the near future and the age of the boat. Get a written estimate for the repair, get a price for which the boat could be sold with everything running and subtract the repair cost. You will incur additional future costs with the repair that may or may not be attributed to the repair. It would be a good deal for someone who can do their own engine work and gets you thinking of moving on to a boat that will require less maintenance. I don't do engines either and any sign any of my cars or boat has major engine problems coming on they are gone. I have an eye on out on my boat now that it is going into the 19th season.

kaneboats
03-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Yes, there is a market, albeit small and it will take patience, for a boat that simply needs an engine. There are guys that look for the discount as they are able to do this themselves. Others just love projects. There are also usually sales tax savings due to the lower purchase price. The key is to have the boat looking perfect so it "only needs one thing". Most of the time you find a boat that needs an engine and they let it sit till it gets to the point where it is not worth the time or money to repair. Very hard to sell it then.