PDA

View Full Version : Vdrive Pressure Switch Connection

dgbull3
03-08-2016, 12:07 AM
Was inspecting the prop shaft packing and noticed the v-drive pressure switch wires look to be disconnected (see pic). Anyone know if it matters which wire hooks up where on the pressure switch? Options are 1 blue and 1 purple wire. The tabs are at ~12 o'clock and ~9 o'clock position on the pressure switch when looking at the picture / from the middle of the boat back at the v-drive.

oil level is good...phew

JesseC
03-08-2016, 01:49 AM
It doesn't matter which one goes where on the switch. That switch is normally closed at rest which makes your light come on under the shifter. Once the pressure comes up the switch opens which makes the light go out. By disconnecting the wires it causes the light to always be off. I would be concerned that someone unhooked it to keep the light off permanently. If you hook it up and the light will not go out, don't panic, these switches do go bad and they are relatively cheap. This switch is not an oil level switch it is an oil pressure switch. Sorry if you already knew all this. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgbull3
03-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Makes sense... has anyone had issues with that pump before (probably don't need to worry in advance)? Looks like its a mechanical pump so I would think it's less likely to develop a problem.

JesseC
03-08-2016, 12:50 PM
I never had a problem with mine, but I did have to replace the switch once. The only thing there is to cause any issue is the screen on the bottom hose that is inside the Vdrive. If you've never gotten any trash in there and changed the oil regularly those things will run forever.

dgbull3
03-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Right on, I'm on Skidim now about to buy a replacement switch (JIC). Is there a gasket that goes between it and where it threads in / mates to the unit?

JesseC
03-08-2016, 01:10 PM
I don't think so. Seems like it was pipe threads. So just a little Teflon tape should do it. Make sure you order the switch that is normally closed. It looks exactly like the oil pressure for the engine that is normally open.