PDA

View Full Version : How long before I need to consider engine overhaul or replacement?

Old/newboater
03-07-2016, 04:35 PM
I spent a lot of time on the lake when I was young but have been out of boating for quite a while. Now that my kids are older (and I have a little money to spend) I am looking at used boats. I have a 2001 Mobius in my sights but it has 980 hours on it and I am wondering if I will need an overhaul or replacement anytime soon. (Assuming it has been maintained and not abused). It has been in freshwater only. Thanks in advance

CRAZy440
03-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Well since your boat has a GM engine, I would scrap it now and put in a Ford engine. Just kidding. :) I'm just a grumpy Ford guy. Hey, I waited 16 years for them to make a new boat engine!$%#$@%#$

Joking aside, There are a lot of factors that have to go into deciding to overhaul a boat engine. Work load, maintenance schedule, oil usage, smokes on startup, rust issues in block or heads, etc... Good rule of thumb is 1500 hours max but start looking for issues of excessive wear at 1000 hours.

BTW car engines can go 3000 hours before watching close for issues. Car engines have extremely less work loads. Boats and cars just cant be compared.

mmandley
03-07-2016, 07:03 PM
Other then all the above issues to watch the only true way to tell an engines health is a compression test.

All the cylinders need to be with in x% of each other and at least x PSI I don't want to post numbers as I'm not sure off them exactly.

CRAZy440
03-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Other then all the above issues to watch the only true way to tell an engines health is a compression test.

All the cylinders need to be with in x% of each other and at least x PSI I don't want to post numbers as I'm not sure off them exactly.

Yeah this^^^^ Do that before you buy any boat!

gregski
03-08-2016, 02:02 AM
My last boat had nearly 1500 hours on it and never gave me any trouble. I used to think that 1000 hours was "high" but now I think you could reasonably expect 1500-2000 hours without major service.

FWIW, our truck has nearly 6000 hours on it and I'm only now starting to think about age-related issues.

kaneboats
03-08-2016, 09:29 AM
The ski schools would run their inboards to 2000+ hrs. Not sure about the current wakeboard schools.

Old/newboater
03-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Okay first disclaimer:not a mechanic. That said I see numbers posted at around 175 psi but I thought most of these engines had ratios of approx. 10:1. With std pressure at about 14.5 wouldn't that equate to about 145 psi?

mmandley
03-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Okay first disclaimer:not a mechanic. That said I see numbers posted at around 175 psi but I thought most of these engines had ratios of approx. 10:1. With std pressure at about 14.5 wouldn't that equate to about 145 psi?

10.1 refers to the compression ratio in the cylinder with relation to your cylinder heads. The higher the Compression the higher Octane fuel you need to keep it from per-detonation or pinging.

The 14.5 your referring to is the optimum fuel to air ratio which is 14.7-1 and this is whats needed so the engine doesn't run lean or rich.

This is one of the reason why gas engines have so many sensors on them to help keep this ratio exact all the time.

Diesels don't care, you run it rich it makes more power and dumps the rest as black smoke through the exhaust, Run it lean and it loses power, clear exhaust lol.

160+ is an idea compression per clinder, mind you this is a number I am pulling from memory and not exact. 175 is a really nice healthy engine.

A compression test is essentially testing the Valves sealing in the heads, and rings sealing on the cylinder walls, both are the main wear points in an engine.
If you see smoke <blue in color> at start up your Valve seals are going bad, this is allowing Oil to leak by into the cylinder and at startup you see blue smoke, White smoke is water in the engine and means a head gasket has failed.

I can go on and on, trust me LOL. Thats the basics of what is important in telling if an engine is tired or not.

Good thing is the Chevy Small Block 350 is called Bullet Proof for a reason, because they last and last. Idmar only stopped using them recently and switched to Ford because Chevy after more then 50 years is finally stopping production on them. The LSX series is the new engine Chevy is pushing. I personally would have rather seen the LSX engine adopted, so much easier to make gobs and gobs of power from those lol.

Old/newboater
03-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Ok thanks for that. Next question. I also found an 02 mobius that has only 600 hours on it and a bit better equipped. Is it worth an extra 5 grand for the lower time boat? I know it's a little subjective but I appreciate different perspectives when weighing these types of decisions. Thanks to all for your input.

zabooda
03-08-2016, 04:50 PM
Check NADA for a guide.

CRAZy440
03-08-2016, 04:53 PM
10.1 refers to the compression ratio in the cylinder with relation to your cylinder heads. The higher the Compression the higher Octane fuel you need to keep it from per-detonation or pinging.

The 14.5 your referring to is the optimum fuel to air ratio which is 14.7-1 and this is whats needed so the engine doesn't run lean or rich.

This is one of the reason why gas engines have so many sensors on them to help keep this ratio exact all the time.

Diesels don't care, you run it rich it makes more power and dumps the rest as black smoke through the exhaust, Run it lean and it loses power, clear exhaust lol.

160+ is an idea compression per clinder, mind you this is a number I am pulling from memory and not exact. 175 is a really nice healthy engine.

A compression test is essentially testing the Valves sealing in the heads, and rings sealing on the cylinder walls, both are the main wear points in an engine.
If you see smoke <blue in color> at start up your Valve seals are going bad, this is allowing Oil to leak by into the cylinder and at startup you see blue smoke, White smoke is water in the engine and means a head gasket has failed.

I can go on and on, trust me LOL. Thats the basics of what is important in telling if an engine is tired or not.

Good thing is the Chevy Small Block 350 is called Bullet Proof for a reason, because they last and last. Idmar only stopped using them recently and switched to Ford because Chevy after more then 50 years is finally stopping production on them. The LSX series is the new engine Chevy is pushing. I personally would have rather seen the LSX engine adopted, so much easier to make gobs and gobs of power from those lol.

All things anyone with a boat should know IMHO. Great post! Except for the 'Chevy is awesome' stuff...:twisted: Just Joshin.

parrothd
03-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Nada is worthless... Junk ..crap..

Use searchtempest.com to search all of Craigslist and claz.org nation wide.I factor in $1500(check uship for estimate) to ship, $150 to have a dealer water test (this is a must) and fight if it's far. You can get things really cheap with a tiny bit of effort.. ;)

parrothd
03-08-2016, 08:49 PM
Also, boats priced right sell really fast, like in hours. I usually call them ASAP, ask for lots of pics, if it looks good I PayPal a small deposit, the sale and deposit are contingent on dealer water test.. :)

Those are high hour boats, what's your budget? For $20k you should be able to find a nice lsv..

zabooda
03-09-2016, 01:46 AM
Nada is worthless... Junk ..crap..

Use searchtempest.com to search all of Craigslist and claz.org nation wide.I factor in $1500(check uship for estimate) to ship, $150 to have a dealer water test (this is a must) and fight if it's far. You can get things really cheap with a tiny bit of effort.. ;)

Too funny. I copied and pasted Craigslist items into tempest and got nothing. I'll stick with the traditional way with NADA as their beta testing has been done years ago.

parrothd
03-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Lol... Nada doesn't buy or sell anything
. where do you think they get those prices from.?!?? You put moomba lsv as a search item and didn't see any listed?

I see lots of boats..

http://claz.org/classifieds.html?q=moomba+lsv&l=36000