PDA

View Full Version : Lifetime Warranty? Time will tell.

bluemobius
03-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Well, I am getting ready to see if SC really stands behind their lifetime warranty on the hull. I bought my 06 LSV new in early 07 as our second Moomba and we have loved the boat.
We have had some issues along the way... An o-ring was missing an oil line that ruined the carpet in the locker which the dealer cleaned but didn't replace, Two defective torsion axles ( a real pain to fix by the way), and a perfect pass that is not very dependable, and now I have found some cracks that are very concerning.
The cracks around the platform brackets are fairly common, but while replacing the carpet in the lockers I discovered that there is no bracing on the inside of the hull and the cracks have gotten much worse. Also, my platform has had some spider cracks along the edge which I thought were only gel coat issues that are now starting to flex and seem to hold water. But the most concerning issue is that when my boat was on a lift during the last torsion failure, I discovered 2- 8" long cracks opposite each other that are on the deepest part of the V hull. These are normally hidden by bunks while on the trailer. I can't imagine any reason for a structural failure in that location and am not sure what they will do to fix it.

The odd part is this boat is absolutely babied... The boat has 360 hrs, and we have 2 boys 10 and 7- so the majority of the hours were spent unloaded, putting around the lake while someone was sleeping. The boys are just now to the age where we might get some real hours on it.

I have read several posts from others getting the platform bracket area fixed due to lack of bracing. But my questions are how long does the warranty process usually take and will they stand behind their product?

My purchasing dealer went under several years back, but hopefully they can take care of us.

The water is calling me!

bluemobius
03-10-2016, 11:56 PM
Not looking good for the home team so far... Tomorrow should tell the tell. Any of you guys who have been through this have recommendations? http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/10/52a2b63687140eb0355ab6cd27da02f9.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/10/699d083eabbb87149af2896182a81ccb.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/10/b959a8929ddd39f5d37ccf462f6c4319.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/10/73dc1dbffa4b1e1f55c2688ed0ce30ad.jpg

The water is calling me!

zabooda
03-11-2016, 02:16 AM
Yep, going into my boat's 19th season with spider cracks.

dgbull3
03-11-2016, 10:52 AM
I actually just posted something about the swim platform...doesn't make sense why you would only put bolts with those dinky washers in and then not expect the forces to mess it up. Reading through the forum, some people have upgraded the brackets to newer years and at the same time of that job they repaired the cracks. I'm still in search of a DIY bracket to spread load in the back (vs the washers). Immediately looking at your pics, i notice they missed a washer at the bottom bolt. I would bring that up when asking about warranty / coverage.

Not sure about the hull underneath on the bunk. Don't see how that could happen really. Only guess (stretching) is if the boat is trailered off center and that edge rests on the bunk versus the recessed flat part after the edge.

kaneboats
03-11-2016, 11:00 AM
Wow, you guys have me thinking about making a plate -- at least for the top three bolts on each side. Better check mine out tomorrow when I do all my service.

bluemobius
03-11-2016, 01:01 PM
What is funny to me is how they usually say it's not structural. I'm an engineer, I work with PEs. A gel coat crack is caused by inconsistency in the thickness of the material or mixture. If the crack is propagating from a bracket or mount it is either due to faulty drilling or in this case insufficient structure and bracing to support the platform. Also several people have had this fixed under warranty but not all... When they know they missed the bracing there should be no questions asked. As far as the cracks under the boat as long as it's documented they will eventually have to fix it, it will just end up costing them more.

More importantly this will definitely determine which brand I go with on a surf boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viking
03-11-2016, 01:29 PM
I had the same issue with lack of bracing on port side of my rad-a-cage tower posts. I took pictures and contacted SC directly via email regarding the issue. This was before any cracks showed up because I wanted to be pro-active and get it done right before damage was done. I was basically brushed under the rug, told it was fine, and low and behold the cracks showed up over the next couple years of use. Sold the boat but it was 1 of the contributing factors to look elsewhere on my next vessel.

Keep us posted on how this turns out for you!

patrick232
03-12-2016, 09:52 AM
I wonder if the swim platform took a hit and caused the damage by the brackets? I'm waiting to see spidering from a kid parking a wave runner on my platfrom.

wolfeman131
03-12-2016, 10:09 AM
I wonder if the swim platform took a hit and caused the damage by the brackets? I'm waiting to see spidering from a kid parking a wave runner on my platfrom.

Great question & part of the reason why structural repairs are covered, not cosmetic. In this case, it's a 10 yr old boat (albeit purchased new in 07, it's still a 10 yr old boat) and the owners definition of "babied" unfortunately doesn't matter much. Neither does being "proactive" with pictures as no one can prove if there was abuse (i.e. 22 people standing on the swim platform for a group selfie or pulling 4 loaded tubes from the tower) that lead to the damage.

Please don't take this as indifference to your position or an accusation of how you treat(ed) your boat. I'm simply trying to shed some light on how I think the manufacturer, be it SC or any other, has to evaluate these situations on a case-by-case basis.

sivs1
03-12-2016, 10:51 AM
So I've been told cracks in the gel coat is not worth spending money on fixing. What are your thoughts? Also if they do not hinder the performance of the boat in any way are they really worth the repair as over time more cracks will develop, especially on a boat that is 10 years old.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bluemobius
03-12-2016, 11:13 AM
To my knowledge nothing hit my platform and I'm guessing you are somehow affiliated with SC?? The cracks started very small and have gradually gotten worse. I have good insurance on the boat so if that were the case I would have taken that route rather than going back to the manufacturer. I understand that there are people who abuse their boats and SC has to take that into account but the platform bracing is what caused this issue. I am very curious to see how many of these boats are out there without this defect that are lacking the bracing??
I have been a Moomba owner since 02 and even through all of my issues I have been a fan and recommended the brand to several friends who also bought Moombas.
I am posting this for owners to be informed about the true meaning of lifetime... By the way 10 years is not an old boat as implied by your response.

zabooda
03-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Very doubtful Blue. I've been on here since 2003 and I've never heard of anyone successfully getting hull warranty work done for what you are showing. In fact, I've never heard of anyone ever getting hull warranty work done on this forum and you probably never will. This isn't the place to address this issue as you are preaching to the choir and the best we can be is a cheerleader. We won't be starting a "Boat Hulls Matter" group anytime soon.

There is one reason for the warranty and there may be other reasons and that it is not for the owner but for the company's liability in the event of a catastrophic hull failure resulting in injury or death. You have a lifetime warranty so any sign of hull failure by the owner will receive a prompt inspection for seaworthiness and documented not for you but for SC.

Anytime there is a safety hazard with any consumer product the manufacturer is obligated to correct the problem. Some companies do that well while others don't do so well. SC will probably tell you what the criteria is for the hull warranty but what I have seen on this forum it probably doesn't include cosmetic (normal wear and tear) issues.

Follow SC's recommendation for inspection. If you're not happy, lawyer up. Wish you the best.

MJHSupra
03-12-2016, 02:46 PM
+1. There are threads on this site and the Supra site for those who try. Mostly towers and transoms. I don't recall anyone getting past "cosmetic", not "structure" discussions. I asked SC about it years ago. I have a few on my boat transom (2007). Been there for years.

Give SC a call. You will probably be instructed to work through an inspection.

And if you visit the other boat manufacture forums, you will find other discussions/issue.

Anyone ever look to see how much a new can of gelcoat costs? Ouch.

wolfeman131
03-12-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm guessing you are somehow affiliated with SC??

By the way 10 years is not an old boat as implied by your response.

My affiliation with SC is thru my daughters who are Supra Team Riders. Our first inboard was an Outback V, second a Mojo, third a Supra SG and our fourth will be a Supra SA. Started this adventure in 2008, so guess we have a different definition of "old" when it comes to a boat as a10 yr old boat of mine would have 1,500+ hrs on it. So, you kinda made my point in that we all have different definitions and your "babied" might not be the same as someone else's.

As others have suggested, start with a call or email to SC. If you need help, let me know. Also, if you think the outcome to this is going to drive your decision on your next boat, check other brand's forums and I think you're going to find that 1) this is not an issue unique to SC and 2) the resolution/outcome is similar.

parrothd
03-12-2016, 11:04 PM
It's a 10 year old boat, those are normal.. Very doubtful moomba is going to do anything.. That's normal wear and tear..

bluemobius
03-12-2016, 11:09 PM
Parrothd does your 06 have the same issue?

parrothd
03-12-2016, 11:13 PM
Everywhere... Lol..

Just like a 10 year old car, there's gonna be nicks, dings, scratches..

bluemobius
03-12-2016, 11:25 PM
I have a hard time living with that when my friends with with older centurions and malibus with a lot more a use and hours don't have these defects. I take meticulous care or my boat and cars so no I don't expect to have cracks in them. I will be really pissed if my cars have cracks lol.

parrothd
03-12-2016, 11:43 PM
You get them to repair it and I'll follow..lol..

Those boats cost a lot more.. ;)

bluemobius
03-12-2016, 11:55 PM
Go heels!

lee
03-13-2016, 08:36 AM
"Limited One-Year Warranty Period on Gel Coat. This Limited Warranty applies to the gel coat for a period of one year (the "OneYear
Warranty Period") from the original date of purchase by the First Owner (the "Original Purchase Date"). The gel coat warranty is not
transferable. Exclusions apply"

jimmylsv
03-13-2016, 11:04 AM
I also Have an Old 2006 LSV in great condition and keep my boat on a cradle in boat house year round. I have used my trailer twice. My cradle has 2 bunks about 30 inches apart that support the boat. The trailer has 6 separate bunks to spread the load of out across the hull more evenly. If I have cracks in the bottom of hull it is because I did not opt for a 6 bunk custom cradle, and I will take full responsibility for.
Also the hairline cracks around around platform brackets are not going to be considered a structural issue. Just upgrade the brackets and use bigger washers or backing plate to strengthen.