PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Seal

dmcgilli
03-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Have a 2008 Outback - direct drive and am getting water in the bilge. Think it might be the shaft seal.. Any ideas on how to see if that is the issue?

Here is a picture of the shaft seal...

mmandley
03-04-2016, 08:40 PM
That looks like a dripless seal, as in non adjustable, odly enough they actually do drip quite a bit. I had that on my 08 LSV and as long as its not dripping when the boat is off its ok. It does leak or drip some when its running.

Your bilge shouldn't be running too much, but it will after a while.

You best way to see if its the issue is have someone drive the boat while you watch it in action.

Jordy Dag
03-06-2016, 07:05 PM
I completely agree with the above statement. I have the same 'dripless' seal which as previously stated drips to some degree. As long as the hose clamps are tight and there are no visible defects in the seal housing boot then you should be ok. How much water are you getting in the bilge?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

DOCDRS
03-06-2016, 08:38 PM
The dripless are not supposed to leak! If the alignment is out they will leak. If the seal is worn they may leak, or if hot exhaust water is used to cool the housing it may expand and cause it to leak. I have the same dripless and it does not leak

mmandley
03-06-2016, 10:00 PM
The dripless are not supposed to leak! If the alignment is out they will leak. If the seal is worn they may leak, or if hot exhaust water is used to cool the housing it may expand and cause it to leak. I have the same dripless and it does not leak

Not doubting you bro, on my 08 the dealer looked at it when it was leaking a little and said normal operation.

I honestly haven't looked at the Mojo though lol

DOCDRS
03-07-2016, 12:43 AM
No probs Mike.......but your dealer is then a complete idiot ....it is not in any way normal for a dripless to drip.....oh my god why does he think its called dripless . It can be considered normal for a regular jam and packing seal to drip , but even when i had mine it dripped maybe once a minute or 2 minutes .

Jordy Dag
03-07-2016, 02:54 AM
Hmmm... doc... this has me questioning the state of my seal. Im familiar with rope packing jam nut seals as my brendella and malibu were equipped with those and the occasional drip is a good thing with those as that is the rope packings lube adjusted accordingly as setting the drip rate. Id better have another look at mine before the season begins!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk