PDA

View Full Version : Plasti Dip trailer fenders?

BrettLee3232
02-28-2016, 08:29 PM
Has anyone done this before? I figured black fenders would look a lot better especially if I get black rims. Just curious if anyone has done it before? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soonerbilly
02-28-2016, 09:23 PM
Ive plasti dipped a few things.....dont think the fenders would hold up well, esp if you step on them AT ALL. Its neat stuff just not all that durable.

BrettLee3232
02-28-2016, 09:56 PM
I don't let anyone step on my fenders so not worried about that. I thought of getting them painted but I assume that isn't cheap

brain_rinse
02-28-2016, 09:58 PM
Bed liner would be much more durable, assuming you are OK with it being permanent.

DFTR Josh
02-28-2016, 10:25 PM
Can't say PD will last on a fender! Great idea but I would lean toward paint or powder coat.

ghebert1111
02-28-2016, 11:07 PM
In Plastidipped my 19 Wrangler a year and go and it still look great. As long as you aren't climbing on it, Platidip holds up pretty well.

BrettLee3232
02-28-2016, 11:28 PM
I mean the cost for a rattle can or 2 or 4 it's not a bad idea. Plus I can peal it off if it chips or peals.

bergermaister
02-29-2016, 04:43 PM
I am tempted to try this as well. Post up some pics if you go through with it.

cpropes2005
03-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Like you said it is cheap and easy so you might as well give it a shot. Worst case is you don't like it and have to peel it off. I plasti dipped the wheels on my truck and the trailer about 3 months ago and so far I am really pleased with it. Been through the car wash a few times and so far it is holding up very well with no nicks or peeling spots.

kaneboats
03-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Love the colors on that Mojo. Would not know whether to put the blue or the orange with the gray. May have to figure it out.

BrettLee3232
03-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Like you said it is cheap and easy so you might as well give it a shot. Worst case is you don't like it and have to peel it off. I plasti dipped the wheels on my truck and the trailer about 3 months ago and so far I am really pleased with it. Been through the car wash a few times and so far it is holding up very well with no nicks or peeling spots.

Are those the stock trailer rims? Can you take a closer picture please? Thanks looks good!

cpropes2005
03-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Thanks! I was pretty happy with how they turned out. Yeah they are the stock rims. I will try to snap a close up tonight.

BrettLee3232
03-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Thanks! I was pretty happy with how they turned out. Yeah they are the stock rims. I will try to snap a close up tonight.

Thanks, might be a good option for me since my wife would get pretty pissed buying new rims for the boat lol. I'm running out of "friends" that buy me stuff for the boat. In December my "friend" no bought us a new fusion transom remote. Earlier another "friend" upgraded our ballast for us.

I have really nice friends lol

FYI: I'm secretly the friend who bought it HAHA

mmandley
03-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Has anyone done this before? I figured black fenders would look a lot better especially if I get black rims. Just curious if anyone has done it before? Thanks!

I would look into Powder coating them. Its much more durable and honestly doesn't cost that much.

Even having a shop paint them isn't going to cost that much. Take them off the trailer and walk in. Since this isnt a car quality finish its going to be much cheaper.

Another option < one I am going to do after the big move > get a hold of the Tech schools who train painters, they will almost always do it for free, you might pay for Paint because they use it as training.

BrettLee3232
03-02-2016, 01:30 PM
I would look into Powder coating them. Its much more durable and honestly doesn't cost that much.

Even having a shop paint them isn't going to cost that much. Take them off the trailer and walk in. Since this isnt a car quality finish its going to be much cheaper.

Another option < one I am going to do after the big move > get a hold of the Tech schools who train painters, they will almost always do it for free, you might pay for Paint because they use it as training.

Would they have to take the paint off before they powder it?

mmandley
03-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Would they have to take the paint off before they powder it?

Honestly I don't know. I have never had anything powder coated. My friend here locally does it on the side, Let me text him to ask.

dusty2221
03-02-2016, 01:59 PM
Most Powder coaters will sand/media/bead blast any metal prior to powder. All of the guys I know that do it either have their own blast equipment or "their guy" that does parts weekly to prep for powder for them.

soonerbilly
03-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Most of the time their price includes media blasting. I just had my windshield frame done for 150. It was a total of 15 pieces.

BrettLee3232
03-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Anyone know if the fenders are easily removed with the boat on the trailer?

dusty2221
03-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Pretty simple. Easier with the boat off, but either way it isn't a difficult task.

BrettLee3232
03-03-2016, 12:35 AM
Pretty simple. Easier with the boat off, but either way it isn't a difficult task.

Thanks, I'll take a look next time I'm out. I got quoted $80/fender. He said he will sand blast the paint off and do black with a few coats of clear coat.

bergermaister
03-03-2016, 02:41 AM

Ehhh, mine are welded. Paint or Plasti-Dip for me.

cpropes2005
03-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Here is a close up of the trailer wheels with plastidip. The light colored parts that look like they are peeling are actually just dirt. So far no nicks or peeling. If it were me I would probably start with plastidip and then progress to more permanent options if you decide you want/need to down the road. That is basically what I am doing with my wheels, so far I have been impressed with its durability but if the plastidip starts looking bad I will just peel it off and have them painted or powder coated.

BrettLee3232
06-20-2016, 01:37 AM
Finally got around to taking pictures. Well my brother took them with the go pro but anyways you get the idea. $80 a fender for gloss black powder coat.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160620/6c00cc596fccdccbf8ea6c830021503b.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160620/1533b3d56727bdc4056a77c6d37a9bf8.jpg

trayson
06-20-2016, 01:56 AM
Props to you for going the quality route. I'm sure you'll be happier in the long run.

Also, I had to laugh because towards the beginning of this thread you were talking about how you couldn't justify new wheels for the trailer and were going to just dip them. But then BAM, you have new trailer wheels soon enough! (and yes, you were the nail in the coffin that got me to pull the trigger on the same wheels.) Again, props for going the quality route. I know there are tons of people that are happy with plasti dipped wheels, but I think they end up looking like the black steel wheels you see on car's donut spares. There's no contrast and the wheels just get lost in the tires. That's one of the reasons I was down for the trailer wheels that you and I both got. Because they have accents to set off the black. IMO, black wheels need some subtle contract to make them pop.

So, how do you and others get on and off your boat if you don't step on the fenders? I step on my fenders all day, every day. There's even a big piece of rubber traction covering the flat top of the fender. The same stuff that is on the flat parts in front of and behind the fender. I don't think my 5'2 wife could get into the boat on the trailer if she wasn't able to step on the fenders...

BrettLee3232
06-20-2016, 02:34 AM
Props to you for going the quality route. I'm sure you'll be happier in the long run.

Also, I had to laugh because towards the beginning of this thread you were talking about how you couldn't justify new wheels for the trailer and were going to just dip them. But then BAM, you have new trailer wheels soon enough! (and yes, you were the nail in the coffin that got me to pull the trigger on the same wheels.) Again, props for going the quality route. I know there are tons of people that are happy with plasti dipped wheels, but I think they end up looking like the black steel wheels you see on car's donut spares. There's no contrast and the wheels just get lost in the tires. That's one of the reasons I was down for the trailer wheels that you and I both got. Because they have accents to set off the black. IMO, black wheels need some subtle contract to make them pop.

So, how do you and others get on and off your boat if you don't step on the fenders? I step on my fenders all day, every day. There's even a big piece of rubber traction covering the flat top of the fender. The same stuff that is on the flat parts in front of and behind the fender. I don't think my 5'2 wife could get into the boat on the trailer if she wasn't able to step on the fenders...

I agree.

On/Off is at the swim step. One foot on trailer (NO SHOES) then pull your ass up and get your knee on the swim step. Easy peezy! For the small females I just pick them up.

I don't want anyone climbing over the side of the boat to get in. My luck they'll fall haha

smorris7
06-20-2016, 11:53 AM
I agree.

On/Off is at the swim step. One foot on trailer (NO SHOES) then pull your ass up and get your knee on the swim step. Easy peezy! For the small females I just pick them up.

I don't want anyone climbing over the side of the boat to get in. My luck they'll fall haha

Absolutely! No feet on the trailer!