PDA

View Full Version : Plumbers sealant in block threads??

Leirhiht
02-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Im going to dewinterize today and I was wondering if it is necessary to put anything on the threads of the block plugs on my engine and my exhaust plug bolt. I have read people saying to use plumbers sealant. I have medium strength loctite, is this ok or is it even necessary?

Thanks

zabooda
02-27-2016, 03:00 PM
They won't go anywhere as they corrode in place in fact adding something to the threads to make removal the next time would be best.

Leirhiht
02-27-2016, 03:04 PM
They won't go anywhere as they corrode in place in fact adding something to the threads to make removal the next time would be best.

So a medium strength loctite is fine? Or is there a marine thread sealant that's better?

mmandley
02-27-2016, 03:14 PM
DO NOT put anything on them to keep them in or from leaking.

DO PUT Anti Seize on them.

Leirhiht
02-27-2016, 03:30 PM
DO NOT put anything on them to keep them in or from leaking.

DO PUT Anti Seize on them.

Alright cool. We got some at work I'll "borrow". I'll just do a line from base to top on threads. It's ok to do this to the exhaust bolt too?

zabooda
02-27-2016, 03:32 PM
Do nothing to them. They stay tight.

MLA
02-27-2016, 06:01 PM
are these plastic plugs or brass pipe plugs? The plastic drain plugs typically have an oring that does the sealing and the tapered pipe plugs just need clean threads to seal. I would not put thread loc on any plug. However, I would not discourage anti-seize on a plastic drain plug. This may help it from sticking in the block come next year, so it wont break off.

Mikey
02-27-2016, 07:20 PM
As a plumber i would recommend either using Pipe sealant(pipe dope) or just a couple wraps of teflon tape. Either of these work fine for sealing and also help keep the threads rust free... This is what i use.. I usually go with Teflon as it and silicon are my go too items as a plumber.

VA LSV
02-29-2016, 07:40 AM
They are 1/4" NPT threads which is a tapered thread that seals as you tighten it. No sealant is required but a couple of wraps of Teflon tape insures no leaks and easy removal.