PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof drones?

blackcup
02-25-2016, 02:06 PM
Hey not sure if this is in the right section ... feel free to move it if it's in the wrong spot.

I am looking at picking up a drone for a few specific uses but I was thinking it would be cool to once in a while record some video while surfing or boarding.

Anyone have any experience with these? Wondering what ones are recommended for being out on the lake.

Thanks

80AM
02-25-2016, 02:18 PM
I bought a Lily Drone Camera, should be here by this summer. It's waterproof. Bought it for wakeboarding and surfing.

kaneboats
02-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Hey not sure if this is in the right section ... feel free to move it if it's in the wrong spot.

General is the right section. The "Off Topic" section is for things completely unrelated to boating, watersports, etc. This topic is related and probably fairly important to a few folks on here.

iwaterskihard
02-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Check out Lily:

https://www.lily.camera/

Pretty damned cool if you ask me?

parrothd
02-25-2016, 04:39 PM
Cool.. Except for the short run time and long charging time. It needs either swappable battery or quick charging.

wolfeman131
02-25-2016, 04:42 PM
I, too, ordered a lily. Prepaid and am disappointed with each email I receive telling me it's delayed again. The original ship date was Feb. They send out emails telling about how they are working on the image, stabilization, etc. Based on the video they released, I thought it was much further along in development, but all I get from the emails is that it's still very much a "work in progress."

I looked into this one as well, but the price was a bit more than what I was looking to spend. Additionally, you have to actually fly this one. I was drawn to the lily as it's almost hands free so I could focus on driving the boat. I sure hope we have ours by summer 2016.

http://www.quadh2o.com/hexh2o-ready-fly-kit/

mjr119
02-25-2016, 05:14 PM
You have this as an option https://www.airdog.com/

It's a bargain at $1600!!! Ha.

But seriously, I plan to wait for the Lily release and see how that turns out. With all of the delay, I couldn't justify a preorder.

blackcup
02-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Yeah in my Google travels I saw the Lily and AirDog. Others are pretty upset with the delays on the Lily too ... but you cant beat what you get with it. Just pressing a button and having it follow you has to be one of the coolest things I've seen.

I'm thinking of just grabbing the Phantom3 and keeping the fingers crossed that it doesn't take a swim.

Anyone using/used the Phantom3 for surf/wake??

blackcup
02-25-2016, 05:37 PM
BTW - what was the preorder cost on the Lily?

viking
02-25-2016, 07:32 PM
I, too, ordered a lily. Prepaid and am disappointed with each email I receive telling me it's delayed again. The original ship date was Feb. They send out emails telling about how they are working on the image, stabilization, etc. Based on the video they released, I thought it was much further along in development, but all I get from the emails is that it's still very much a "work in progress."

I looked into this one as well, but the price was a bit more than what I was looking to spend. Additionally, you have to actually fly this one. I was drawn to the lily as it's almost hands free so I could focus on driving the boat. I sure hope we have ours by summer 2016.

Really to be expected on a kickstarter type program. Early buyer/backers fund the true R&D and really is seed money. I've seen it with almost all of these pre-orders. I almost pony'd up for one as well but still waiting on a kickstarter cooler I purchased a year and 1/2 ago. Heck might not even get it? Who knows. Didn't want to be in the same situation with the Lily...........
I'd bet $$ you don't see it for the 2016 season

cpropes2005
02-26-2016, 12:16 PM
I have an old phantom fc40 that I have had for a couple of years with a gimbal and a gopro. I have had it on the boat several times but it was difficult to get good shots of the boat in motion mainly just because the wireless on the gopro would cut out so you couldn't really see what you were filming. I just upgraded to a phantom 3 advanced and I cant wait to get this thing out on the boat. It is super stable and the and with all of the controls built into the remote it makes it really easy to get smooth footage even when panning the camera up and down. It also has a follow me feature similar to the lily where it will follow wherever the controller goes. I haven't tried that mode yet but I think it could be useful for the boat.

I do get a little nervous flying over water but so far it hasn't been an issue. On the old FC40 my biggest worry was that I would run out of battery since there was really no warning other than a red flashing light on the drone but with the phantom 3 there is a battery meter on the screen and it lets you know when the battery is getting low so I will know when I need to bring it back in to land. I will typically zip tie some empty water bottles to the landing gear when I am flying off the boat though just to make me feel better. I figure if I crash at least it will float and there is a chance that if I can get it dried out it will be salvageable.

5:00
02-26-2016, 04:27 PM
If I were going to get one that didn't float but did what the Lili does and more I would go with the 3D Robotics Solo https://3dr.com/solo-drone/
It takes care of some of the issues mentioned in other posts except for being waterproof. Throw some pool noodles on the landing gear should take care of it. There is warning when the battery is going down and has a return to home if you launch from land. You can swap batteries but that comes with it not being water proof. I have landed other models in water, taken it home, taken it apart and hit it with a hair dryer with no problems. I talked to 3DR at a conference in November and played with the simulator. If you look around you can get it fully loaded for about $1,000. If you use your own GoPro you can save a bunch.
Pretty spendy but it will do the job. I think the Lily is about the same price?

mjr119
02-26-2016, 05:39 PM
Without looking, I think the Lily was ~7-800 bucks. I am patiently awaiting the release.

5:00
02-26-2016, 06:32 PM
I think that is the pre production price? After that they go up but I haven't looked at the price of that one in a while. Hopefully the price is down some on that one.

jmvotto
02-27-2016, 10:39 AM
60,000 pre orders with 34 million and 15 million in PE funding. Release has been delayed til summer from February

http://petapixel.com/2016/01/11/the-lily-throw-and-shoot-drone-has-seen-34-million-in-pre-orders/

blackcup
06-06-2016, 05:02 PM
Hey anyone who has used their drone for filming know how to change the default from LAND to HOVER when the battery gets low? Definitely don't want this thing trying to land where it first took off from.

trayson
06-06-2016, 07:45 PM
I bought a Lily Drone Camera, should be here by this summer. It's waterproof. Bought it for wakeboarding and surfing.

#BACKORDER I hear there are some beta's out there, but not shipping any time soon from what I hear.

Yeah in my Google travels I saw the Lily and AirDog. Others are pretty upset with the delays on the Lily too ... but you cant beat what you get with it. Just pressing a button and having it follow you has to be one of the coolest things I've seen.

I'm thinking of just grabbing the Phantom3 and keeping the fingers crossed that it doesn't take a swim.

Anyone using/used the Phantom3 for surf/wake??

I have a Phantom 2, but I've literally taken like 5 flights with it, so I'm not brave enough to fly it over a still boat yet, much less a moving one.

I have an old phantom fc40 that I have had for a couple of years with a gimbal and a gopro. I have had it on the boat several times but it was difficult to get good shots of the boat in motion mainly just because the wireless on the gopro would cut out so you couldn't really see what you were filming. I just upgraded to a phantom 3 advanced and I cant wait to get this thing out on the boat. It is super stable and the and with all of the controls built into the remote it makes it really easy to get smooth footage even when panning the camera up and down. It also has a follow me feature similar to the lily where it will follow wherever the controller goes. I haven't tried that mode yet but I think it could be useful for the boat.

I do get a little nervous flying over water but so far it hasn't been an issue. On the old FC40 my biggest worry was that I would run out of battery since there was really no warning other than a red flashing light on the drone but with the phantom 3 there is a battery meter on the screen and it lets you know when the battery is getting low so I will know when I need to bring it back in to land. I will typically zip tie some empty water bottles to the landing gear when I am flying off the boat though just to make me feel better. I figure if I crash at least it will float and there is a chance that if I can get it dried out it will be salvageable.

My Phantom 2 has FPV and it shows me the battery life on screen. it has the 2D gimbal and I adapted it to use with my gopro 4 silver. Of course, in addition to the Phantom not being waterproof, the gopro is mounted without the case, so the gopro wouldn't be protected either. that's a lot of risk.